Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#597721 01/01/17 10:41 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Why is it that when you attack a monster, about 10 liters of blood spill on the ground? It just seems so surreal. Currently the amount of blood shed per hit should be the amount of blood lost when something is killed and disemboweled.

Right now, the player is used to seeing 10 liters of blood on the ground after the first few fights. This is excessive and leads to the same amount of excitement as seeing a large puddle on the ground. Hence you lose the "wow, something nasty happened here" effect. The player becomes desensitized to seeing large amounts of blood very early, a problem that is common in most games these days. Especially when a skinny enemy dies and dumps enough blood on the ground to fill a bath tub.

If blood loss was significantly reduced, it will be easier to use lots of blood to create the "wow, that is a mess", or "that is a lot of blood" effect.

Since I'm sure there is balancing with the area of blood and electrocution, I'd like to suggest some kind of splatter instead of pools. Where it doesn't look as deep, but you can see there is some blood there and you can still be shocked.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 01/01/17 10:44 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
N
old hand
old hand
N
It would also make attacks that create lots of blood more special, such as anything that inflicts bleeding.

veteran
veteran
I agree, there's far too much blood for several reasons. Tone it down a lot.

old hand
old hand
Yup. There literally could be a third of the blood produced imo.

G
addict
addict
G
i explained my loudness war effect theory in other topic.

Blood spilling was required in DOS 1 to make Leech or Witchcraft element AP bonus work. There was skills for it. Some effort was required to make it work and it was cool. So what is a next level ?

Make it more cool ! Make a rain of blood spell and also spill a 5 liter of blood on every hit. That is cool, no weak skill is required. Becouse we need MOAR make regular oponent bleed fire, acid or electricty. How cool is electricity bleeding frog? youpeeeee. MOAR Bloooaaad I say.

Last edited by gGeo; 02/01/17 01:35 AM.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
On the contrary, real combat is much more visceral than what we see here. Have you ever spilled a 2 liter bottle of soda on the floor? It spreads quite a lot and makes a huge mess. Hacking someone's body apart makes a huge mess, much bigger than anything we see in the game. So I say keep it as it is; it's excusable for realism, doesn't LOOK real enough to be sickening, and has a purpose in a core component of the game's mechanics.

I personally like how it is right now.

gGeo #597746 02/01/17 08:45 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by gGeo
my loudness war effect theory

*cough*

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
D:OS2 has also skills and traits that require blood to work properly. There is even so a spell blood rain to make it bloody every where. Of course it is not that realistic, but electricity trapped in a puddke of water or a cloud of steam is neither realistic.

H
stranger
stranger
H
This is an extension of the "there are too many environmental effects" problem the game has. Every battle feels way too similar and volatile because of this.

veteran
veteran
Not sure how you expect every battle to be different from every other. There will always a limited number of possible skills and in the start they are always even more limited.

My friend and I and hardly using any fire and poison, so there are hardly any explosions. 3 of 4 are Warrior, Hunter and Scoundrel, so mainly physical. Number 4 is more of support mage, than offensive.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard