Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#600996 15/03/17 05:18 PM
OP Offline
The most recent post by Larian talks about the new Summoner class that will be in the game and how it works.

They post this on their twitter and the site, but if there is anyone who doesn't follow either, but comes here thought I'd post it so they can see.

Seeking Summoners

Last edited by Kokoro-Sensei; 15/03/17 05:18 PM.
old hand
old hand
Interesting how it appears they went with basically two primary summons that depends on surfaces. Smart way to limit the number of skills needed to memorize. I hope there's maybe a couple more summon types -- I like the idea of opening said "portals" to let demons run through that are hostile to both the summoner and enemies.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Baardvark
I like the idea of opening said "portals" to let demons run through that are hostile to both the summoner and enemies.

Could be something similar as the Shaman in Shadowrun ; when opening the portal, there's an AP cost / turn (that increases each turn) that the player has to spend on the said portal to keep control of it (and its minions).

I wouldn't enjoy using let's say a source skill with 3-4 ap cost to open a portal and the said demon instantly attacks and disables my glass canon character the next turn...

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Thanks for the link - I only look on this forum to see what is happening with this game actually... I looked at the forum on Steam once and that was enough.

So to me it seems an Incarnate is like a ward in DOS (i.e. absorbs some element). A totem is a summon (perhaps like the creature in DKS) - something that attacks as well. Is that right?

Seems like the names are backwards.

Surely a totem should stay still and absorb things as totems don't, um, move. They aren't individualistic things - they are everyone's thing.

Incarnate however is the personification of something (the summoner presumably or perhaps their god/devil/whatever they could find). Fire incarnate would be like a fire god surely? Why would a Fire-God just soak it up?

Therefore the Incarnate should attack, the Totem protect in my opinion.

I'm glad Maelstrom/Tornado seem to be back though. They were fun.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by TheMasterRat
I like the idea of opening said "portals" to let demons run through that are hostile to both the summoner and enemies.

Could be something similar as the Shaman in Shadowrun ; when opening the portal, there's an AP cost / turn (that increases each turn) that the player has to spend on the said portal to keep control of it (and its minions).

I wouldn't enjoy using let's say a source skill with 3-4 ap cost to open a portal and the said demon instantly attacks and disables my glass canon character the next turn...

You come back just to disagree with me aye? :P Shadowrun-like control could work. If the demons were hostile to everyone, you'd just have to be smart about where you put the portal. Maybe make the demons just attack closest targets. Summoner would be able to use any of his summon skills on them (and trust me, there will be some cool ones :D)

Or maybe by portal, they mean "Portal" portals, where you can walk and cast spells through two portals. That would be so awesome.

So to me it seems an Incarnate is like a ward in DOS (i.e. absorbs some element). A totem is a summon (perhaps like the creature in DKS) - something that attacks as well. Is that right?

It appears to me that the incarnate is your standard summon that can move around and attack, but whatever surface you summon it in changes its element type. Don't know if it "asborbs" the surfaces or not.

The totem appears to be a non-moving summon that you can't control and automatically attacks nearby enemies, while also probably providing some kind of aura that affects enemies or allies.

Neither summon-type is overtly defensive or offensive, with different strengths and weaknesses. It's a clever way to allow multiple summons at once, though the first screenshot on the page shows 3 totems at once with a 2-member party, only 1 which appears to have summoning. Pretty surprising to be able to summon at least 3 totems at once.

Last edited by Baardvark; 16/03/17 07:34 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

You come back just to disagree with me aye? ...

Always been around wink! Just reading more than posting!

Last edited by TheMasterRat; 17/03/17 08:22 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Interesting how it appears they went with basically two primary summons that depends on surfaces. Smart way to limit the number of skills needed to memorize. I hope there's maybe a couple more summon types -- I like the idea of opening said "portals" to let demons run through that are hostile to both the summoner and enemies.

I kinda like the idea but I'd prefer if they focused on enemies as long as there were enemies, but once it's just you and them they attack you.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard