Print Thread
#601513 31/03/17 04:23 AM
Y
Yun Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Y
Recently lockpicking was changed so that it needs a lockpick to work, and lockpicks disappear after 1 use.
Item durability was removed because it is an awful mechanic that adds nothing but annoyance to the game, so why implement another that does the exact same thing?
It is not challenging or fun to find/craft/buy lockpicks, and it adds nothing but a grind.
Please consider reverting this to the way it worked before.

Last edited by Yun; 31/03/17 04:23 AM.
Yun #601514 31/03/17 04:31 AM
veteran
veteran
It has always worked like that, hasn't it? There were a couple of things which were level 0 lockpicking - specifically the prison cells, but otherwise it's always worked like that.

I don't think there's much problem with lockpicking, as they can be bought, found and crafted. The idea is that lockpicking costs some resources for the chances to acquire resources of greater value. It's not supposed to be totally free.

Yun #601515 31/03/17 05:29 AM
old hand
old hand
Yeah it's always been that way. I'm not sure if it really adds too much, but it's been that way from the start. They are a little pricey for the first few levels, but you generally find plenty of them and a few levels in and they're not much of a cost at all. Like durability, it probably wouldn't really matter if Larian removed lockpicks entirely.

I don't find the lockpick cost much of a balancing factor. The cost of lockpicking should be the ability point investment.

Yun #601517 31/03/17 06:16 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Crafting lockpicks is very cheap and hardly a grind. Nothing like repairing items which was really a chore.

Here is the recipe if you like (there may be other combinations as in the last game):

1 nail + repair hammer (not consumed) = 4 lockpicks

Nails cost 2 gold from the scavenger guy on the beach with the Geo skill books. Each lockpick therefore costs 1/2 a gold piece. As he always starts with 4 you can craft 16 lockpicks which is enough for the whole game.

You still need to put the points in thievery but I've not seen anywhere that requires more than 2.

Stabbey #601520 31/03/17 06:42 AM
Y
Yun Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Y
I distinctly remember opening chests without needing lockpicks a few months ago, but i could be wrong.
In any event, it is a pointless mechanic that adds nothing of value to the game.
Sure, it is not hard getting lockpicks, but it is also not fun or challenging. It is make work for the sake of make work.

Last edited by Yun; 31/03/17 06:45 AM.
Yun #601524 31/03/17 07:16 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Yun
I distinctly remember opening chests without needing lockpicks a few months ago, but i could be wrong.
In any event, it is a pointless mechanic that adds nothing of value to the game.
Sure, it is not hard getting lockpicks, but it is also not fun or challenging. It is make work for the sake of make work.

To an extent. Though remember that a game needs to balance verisimilitude and involvement AGAINST direct gameplay and ease of use.

You cannot suggest it adds nothing to the game. You can only suggest that it improves the game more than it limits it.

Neonivek #601528 31/03/17 07:28 AM
Y
Yun Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Y
[/quote]
You cannot suggest it adds nothing to the game. You can only suggest that it improves the game more than it limits it. [/quote]

I said it added nothing of value, not that it did not add anything.
My argument is that the game is just not improved in any way by forcing people to collect lockpics.

Yun #601529 31/03/17 07:31 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Verisimilitude and involvement. That is what it adds.

That is why you have to lockpick at all. Why not just have you automatically unlock things you move close to so long as you have the skill?

Last edited by Neonivek; 31/03/17 07:32 AM.
Yun #601530 31/03/17 07:42 AM
Y
Yun Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Y
You are trying to trick me into a realism vs fun debate, aren't you? Nope, sorry not gonna happen :P
But, for the record, i would side with fun every time.

Yun #601534 31/03/17 08:30 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Yun
You are trying to trick me into a realism vs fun debate, aren't you? Nope, sorry not gonna happen :P
But, for the record, i would side with fun every time.

No. Divinity Original Sin 2 isn't an art game where it can sacrifice fun for whatever it is trying to achieve.

So don't worry it isn't a realism versus fun debate.

It is engagement versus ease

Needing a lockpick in order to lockpick is more engaging then simply not requiring it.

Yun #601535 31/03/17 08:35 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I can see the point in investing in the skill (which you have to do - lockpicks will not help open a level 2 door if you have no points in thievery).

Lockpicks don't add value to this process but they don't really involve much annoyance either as they are so easy to get.

It definitely isn't the same as repairing armor etc. I played DOS EE last week and had to go through each character repairing every piece of armor and weapon after every fight. That really was annoying.

Perhaps a good solution would be lockpicks that don't break. Find/make yourself a kit and you are OK. I guess you need a set as you can't pick a lock with a potatoe no matter how skilled you are.

This would work in the same way that repair hammers and magnifying glasses do - they just don't break any more.

Honestly fun/reality has nothing to do with it. You no more break lockpicks by using them than you break a magnifying glass by looking through it. You just need the relevant item to do the task at hand.

Yun #601537 31/03/17 09:12 AM
Y
Yun Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Y
Sure one can argue it is more engaging, but that that is not by definition a good thing.
In any event, why does the lockpick have to keep breaking?

Yun #601539 31/03/17 10:05 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Nope - I agree with you.

Don't know who you are asking.

Originally Posted by Yun
You are trying to trick me into a realism vs fun debate, aren't you? Nope, sorry not gonna happen.

Definitely in films when the "I am an expert lockpicker" guy arrives they don't break their arms after fiddling with their hair-clip.

Obviously it should not break.

Is that is what you mean?

lx07 #601541 31/03/17 10:18 AM
Y
Yun Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Y
Originally Posted by lx07
Nope - I agree with you.

Don't know who you are asking.

Originally Posted by Yun
You are trying to trick me into a realism vs fun debate, aren't you? Nope, sorry not gonna happen.

Definitely in films when the "I am an expert lockpicker" guy arrives they don't break their arms after fiddling with their hair-clip.

Obviously it should not break.

Is that is what you mean?

Actually i was trying to respond to the post above yours, but i apparently did not click the quote button.
And yes, that is pretty much where i was going with that.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard