Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
error3 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
What are some thoughts on the changes to Warlord and Pawn? They now are exclusive talents and require 1 Warfare/Scoundrel point, respectively.

I feel like a lot of builds were using these two talents because they are 2 of the best talents, not because of any great synergy between them.

I feel like this nerf was a lazy attempt to get people to use other talents, but did nothing to address the power levels of either Pawn or Warlord, or improve the other very under-performing talents.

For me, this change means nearly all of my characters will have 1 point in Scoundrel for access to Pawn and Adrenaline.

I still like Warlord, but I think the guaranteed free movement on Pawn is better than the occasional +2 AP (since enemy durability has increased across the board in the last couple of patches.)

old hand
old hand
I agree, the changes are a bit weird. Rather than limiting who can take the talents, I think they should just be a little less powerful (or other talents buffs, preferably). Although I don't even think The Pawn was too big of a deal, and Warlord was mostly fine unless you paired it with rage, grouped up a bunch of enemies, and wailed on them with whirlwind + cripping blow + regular attacks to completely wipe whole groups.

The Pawn feels so nice to play with I just wish every character had 1-2m of free movement, kind of like how you get 1m of free movement for attacks, but you could just nudge your characters out of the tiny puddle of ooze or get a slightly better position to attack a character from without costing an AP.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Make the requirement 3 points instead. If you are willing to spend it and gimp yourself in other areas go for it.
I almost never have points to spend on something like that before level 6 and by then i am finished with the island.

Amberstar
veteran
veteran
The strange thing is: The Pawn sounds like something a soldier would be, and not a rogue. ^^

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well its better on rogues since they usually have alot more move speed than warriors making better use of it. Naming wise yeah it bugs me lol

Rogues are the best
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Baardvark

The Pawn feels so nice to play with I just wish every character had 1-2m of free movement, kind of like how you get 1m of free movement for attacks, but you could just nudge your characters out of the tiny puddle of ooze or get a slightly better position to attack a character from without costing an AP.
Perhaps go back to 10AP system. So 1 AP for a little re-position could be used. Without Speed attribute there is no longer risk of 25 AP characters as before.
Better time management also allows to remove all those ridiculous teleport ability and free movement talents across the board. All those have only one purpose, mask that 4AP combat is rigid and static.

Last week I tested Xenonauts 2 combat. Soldiers have 60AP. It is smooth.
Perhaps DOS2 audience could handle to count to 10 ?

Last edited by gGeo; 09/04/17 10:36 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
They'd either have to nerf down Movement per AP or In an extreme case to preserve the same move speed increase the agro range in order to force us to make use of the extra AP. Another suggestion on my mind is to give us a linear scaling regarding the max AP and turn AP available to us.

Rogues are the best
veteran
veteran
I agree that the best solution to people grabbing the same two Talents a lot is to have a larger number of good Talents so people naturally diversify. Missing are good Talents for all seven of the magic schools, as well as some other specializations for physical fighters.

However in this case, I think that making Warlord and Pawn mutually exclusive is not a terrible idea. It does help focus more on picking a Talent for a specific build. Although perhaps I just have a lingering grudge over the fact that Warriors can take both Warlord and Pawn easily, while Rogues cannot, being stuck with the Back-Stabber Talent Tax.

error3 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by gGeo
Originally Posted by Baardvark

Perhaps go back to 10AP system. So 1 AP for a little re-position could be used. Without Speed attribute there is no longer risk of 25 AP characters as before.
Better time management also allows to remove all those ridiculous teleport ability and free movement talents across the board. All those have only one purpose, mask that 4AP combat is rigid and static.

Last week I tested Xenonauts 2 combat. Soldiers have 60AP. It is smooth.
Perhaps DOS2 audience could handle to count to 10 ?

@gGeo
I like the idea of increasing max and per-turn AP. This would allow for more fine-tuned balancing of other abilities too. The difference between 1 and 2 AP costs are night and day at the moment.
This could be used to give more identity to some of the 1H weapons too. E.g. Daggers could get more attacks per AP to account for their lower damage.

@Pimpel
Requirements as high as 3-5 for really cool Skill-defining talents can be fun. If there was a good high-requirement talent for every Skill school it would work, but the talents that exist aren't good enough to warrant adding such high requirements. It wouldn't feel rewarding to put 3-5 points in Hydrosophist just to have Ice King, for instance.
I don't feel like Pawn and Warlord fit there though. These talents apply well to most any character, they just happen to be 2 of the few attractive choices at the moment.

@Stabbey
Yeah, the talent tax is inappropriate. Will have to re-evaluate if that ever gets fixed.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard