Print Thread
#602063 09/04/17 10:48 AM
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Hi,

I think there is a problem with XP when you play with other players. Sometimes, only one and his attached nPC get the XP. After a few hours playing always together, the other player and his nPC has an advance of 20-30% of one level.

Thanks.

Last edited by Berzingh; 09/04/17 11:02 AM.
Support
Support

There are some personal quests, which only give experience to the player who completes them, in additional to party quests, which give experience to all.
How many personal quests there are, and (easier to adjust) how much experience is available from them, is a subject to balancing changes. In fact, once the tutorial is in and possibly some other content, there will adjustments made to experience (quest, exploration and combat) throughout the first act.

FWIW, the amount of XP required to level goes up as the cube of the level, so while a third of a level may seem like a lot at level 3, that experience difference quickly becomes much less significant.
Regardless, this issue is on the feedback list, particularly with co-op playthroughs where one person does most of the talking.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Ok, thanks for the reply. There is not such difference in DOS so I think it was a bug. Especially because the gap is always in the same direction.

Even the custom character get some personal quests? Because the other player and I have picked two custom with no special background. For example, do the Champion quest in the basement (I don't know if it is the official name) give XP rewards only for the winner?

Originally Posted by Raze
Regardless, this issue is on the feedback list, particularly with co-op playthroughs where one person does most of the talking.

It's a good news. It would be a shame if we have to decide who does the talking because of XP rewards and not because of roleplaying matter.

veteran
veteran
Most personal quests are not origin related, like the stuff with the teleport gauntlets. You can easily see in the log, which quests are personal and which group related.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Raze

There are some personal quests, which only give experience to the player who completes them, in additional to party quests, which give experience to all.
How many personal quests there are, and (easier to adjust) how much experience is available from them, is a subject to balancing changes. In fact, once the tutorial is in and possibly some other content, there will adjustments made to experience (quest, exploration and combat) throughout the first act.

FWIW, the amount of XP required to level goes up as the cube of the level, so while a third of a level may seem like a lot at level 3, that experience difference quickly becomes much less significant.

Thanks for the explanation, Raze. I disagree with this approach of making some quests 'personal' as it seems pretty arbitrary and unnecessary. It's very clumsy to have your players balance the game for you in terms of XP awards. Perhaps I missed it, but the journal does not make it obvious which quests will only award XP to a single person when completed and the ability to share your journal just confuses this matter if it doesn't really share it in meaningful ways after all.

Last edited by Windemere; 10/04/17 05:19 PM.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
journeyman
journeyman
Agreed. In this case, there was no indication whatsoever that this quest was personal - we were both there when it was picked up, and we were both there when it was completed; there was really no reason why I should get XP for it and Windemere didn't. Unless I'm at war with my party, I'd really prefer everyone to get the rewards for a completed quest, it's part of what co-op means.

veteran
veteran
In another patch we had "Party Quests" and a Personal Diary for stuff like the collar and the teleporter. Not sure if the diary is still there and only those quests count as personal.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
It isn't just personal quests or even doing quests though. I was playing Lohse solo until level 6.

I just picked up the Red Prince (to get pet pal) and he has 13000 *more* XP than the character I've been playing all along. He must therefore have got XP for quests/combat that Lohse hasn't done and nor has he.

J
stranger
stranger
J
As a user story, what we've actually done to preserve the XP that is destroyed when a personal quest is completed is have all but one human drop out, complete the quest with all NPCs attached which will reward all attached NPC characters (non-scaling), then have everyone log back in. Obviously this is ridiculous.

I don't think having the XP system tied to the personal quests is doing anything constructive. If there should be reward for completing a solo type quest, it should come in the form of an item that can be chosen to be shared or not. XP can't be chosen to be "need or greed"

A
stranger
stranger
A
Please this needs to be fixed as it is a bad system. My brother and I were doing the orange drug quest and that is not personal yet only I got the xp even when he was real close and listening to the conversation. I know some want to pvp and to win they need a legitimate cheaty way so they can get all the xp them selves but for those of us who want a truly co-op game have to suffer the imbalance.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard