Print Thread
#621228 25/09/17 03:09 PM
W
WMC51 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
While the world maps are nice I cant help but running into "I wish this city wasn't here" or "I wish I could put this tower there"

I would be great to have a very simple map editor with the same maps but where you can place down the twns etc.

I know this is probably not possible at this point but it would be great

WMC51 #621468 25/09/17 11:07 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L
Oh but there's lots of editor's already existing.

GIMP.

Photoshop.

My personal favorite, Campaign Cartographer.

OK yes, a bit of snark there, but this is a repeating pattern I'm seeing, thinking the GM Mode is a one-stop-shop. Treat the GM Mode like the Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual from D&D. Can you do a game with just those two things? No, not really. You need to do some work, maybe bring in some outside resources, before you can run your game. The GM Mode is much the same. You *will* have to do additional work and bring in outside resources, even if it's just Engine exports, to accomplish what you want.

WMC51 #622745 28/09/17 01:03 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Somebody posted this on reddit a while back.
https://inkarnate.com/
Easy to use, free and pretty awesome.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Redunzgofasta; 28/09/17 01:09 AM.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
WMC51 #622756 28/09/17 02:18 AM
W
WMC51 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
I've tried to do that. it always looks like crap.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by Redunzgofasta

Hey, it's a very great tool. Thanks.

Last edited by JetNLoad; 28/09/17 07:55 AM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S

Where do you see that it's free?

spec24 #623443 29/09/17 08:22 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by spec24

Where do you see that it's free?

At reddit where the guy said it was.

Also I didn't get charged for anything when I signed up.

Last edited by Redunzgofasta; 29/09/17 08:23 AM.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
WMC51 #623456 29/09/17 09:23 AM
I created a map after I got off work tonight. Didn't pay a single cent. Seems free to me.

Ghatt #623471 29/09/17 10:43 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ghatt
I created a map after I got off work tonight. Didn't pay a single cent. Seems free to me.

Screenshot or it didn't happen! hahaha

Last edited by Redunzgofasta; 29/09/17 10:44 AM.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
WMC51 #623486 29/09/17 11:45 AM
W
WMC51 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
There are sure really funky tos that make it sound not free and that they own anything you create but I didn't have to pay to use it. Not sure if it watermarks anything you export because I haven't made anything that doesn't look like my 2 year old made it.

WMC51 #623488 29/09/17 11:50 AM
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by WMC51
There are sure really funky tos that make it sound not free and that they own anything you create but I didn't have to pay to use it. Not sure if it watermarks anything you export because I haven't made anything that doesn't look like my 2 year old made it.

Yeah, the website didn't give me the impression there was a free version. Everyone should keep in mind, though, that whatever you create for "free" is owned by Inkarnate, according to their policies. You are not free to use those maps you make for anything but personal use without permission from Inkarnate or a license from them. So that prohibits the use of their maps in any content you might make that you would share with the community.

spec24 #623551 29/09/17 01:35 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast

Yeah, the website didn't give me the impression there was a free version. Everyone should keep in mind, though, that whatever you create for "free" is owned by Inkarnate, according to their policies. You are not free to use those maps you make for anything but personal use without permission from Inkarnate or a license from them. So that prohibits the use of their maps in any content you might make that you would share with the community.

And remember folks. Don't try to recreate one of the famous D&D modules or base your adventures on LOTR, use any excisting D&D setting, the Smurfs or any other copyrighted IP.
That is prohibited and most certainly very very illegal!

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S

[quote=WMC51]

And remember folks. Don't try to recreate one of the famous D&D modules or base your adventures on LOTR, use any excisting D&D setting, the Smurfs or any other copyrighted IP.

Do you really see these as the same thing? The difference is that none of those examples you give are going to give a rat's ass if people start making fan fiction (most of them encourage it, though they generally have the legal right to prosecute it). Inkarnate, on the other hand, will mind if you use the software that they expect to be paid for in a manner they don't like. That's why they have a Terms of Use.

It's the difference between someone making a Star Wars mod in Divinity OS2 and someone downloading an illegal copy of Divinity OS2 on the internet. Inkarnate allows you to use their software, subject to their terms of use.

spec24 #623648 29/09/17 05:00 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast

[quote=WMC51]

Do you really see these as the same thing? The difference is that none of those examples you give are going to give a rat's ass if people start making fan fiction (most of them encourage it, though they generally have the legal right to prosecute it). Inkarnate, on the other hand, will mind if you use the software that they expect to be paid for in a manner they don't like. That's why they have a Terms of Use.

It's the difference between someone making a Star Wars mod in Divinity OS2 and someone downloading an illegal copy of Divinity OS2 on the internet. Inkarnate allows you to use their software, subject to their terms of use.

And you don't think it is the same thing?
You really think there is no copyight on IPs?
And do you really believe Inkarnate will know and take legal action if you use their website to create a map and publish that in a GM Adventure?
I thought you'd be smarter than that.

You have a bigger chance getting sued for rp-ing an elf named Legolas than get in trouble for using that awesome free mapmaker for your published GM Adventures.

Now if you would try to sell those adventures it probably would be different, plus Sven would most likely send his canibal Smurfs after you too!

Last edited by Redunzgofasta; 29/09/17 05:01 PM.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
WMC51 #623660 29/09/17 05:25 PM
W
WMC51 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
W
I think bottom line is unless you're a big time streamer making tons of money youll never hit the radar of any of these companies. They can sue me for 100% of me revenue because anything x 0 is 0. I only stated anything because its better to make informed decisions.

WMC51 #623702 29/09/17 06:51 PM

Dang, you've got a super talented two year old. Congrats.

spec24 #623707 29/09/17 07:12 PM

Unless you're making money off of (or attempting to make money off of) the inkarnate generated map file they aren't going to go after you for sharing it. Heck, people have been publically sharing their maps on inkarnates own twitter page and they don't seem to mind.

WMC51 #626836 05/10/17 10:45 PM
E
stranger
stranger
E
I just purchased the Inkarnate commercial licence with Early access features. I had been making maps on it previously on the free portion. It is by the way completely free and no they are not crazy about not sharing maps etc. As it is, it doesn't seem like they care all that much about making sure you have a licence from them. Its 25 bucks for a year and real vague on what it covers but vague in the licencees favor it seems. It seems they are not really all that worried about it and to be honest it feels like more of a way to pad out your 25 dollars worth for access to the extra stuff. Which is higher resolution maps and objects and a much larger selection of stuff and ability to import custom textures.

I don't plan on making money off these maps but i did want the extra content so i went through the whole process. You email them.. they respond with a paypal invoice and a digital signature form that you submit and give back to them then they upgrade you.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard