Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
Originally Posted by KentDA
Ellezard, the "reduced bloat" mod is a perfect example of fixing things that people had issues with.

Only some do.

I have issues with it because I play the game with no preparation and have to experiment my way to completing it.

The people I helped getting proper build like getting lucky charm and giving guidance doesn't even notice the bloating being an issue.

This is the kind of balance issue people will either face or completely miss depending on how well prepared they are when they step into the game.

I still hope they will fix it in future patches but I really won't demand it. They are fine with how level 5 lucky charm work after all. If more people complain, they will just make a small announcement saying "LUCKY CHARM IS NICEEeEEE" and bam, most of the complaints will disappear.

Last edited by Ellezard; 02/10/17 12:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ellezard
People have already voted with their wallet and we see where the result is. If the armor system is so terrible, it wouldn't have this much player online at all time. The moment they give you the ability to mod the game, they have already given the minority to fix their own issues and they will only step in if the issue breaks the game for the majority of the player and their experience, like Lucky Charm and Reactive armor nerfs.

With that argument No Mans Sky was a perfect and unflawed game aswell.

D:OS2 gets heavily hyped without anykind of criticism like it happens pretty often, that is why many are jumping on the train and buy it on the fly. Also most people don't have really high standards or really bother to take a deep look into the mechanics. On the surface it looks and feels like a decent or even game I guess.

Also many sales happened during the kickstarter campaign coming from D:OS1 influence.

For me personalley D:OS2 is a hugh let down, not as bad as No Mans Sky but not that far either. Not solely because of the armor system, but because of all the stuff that adds up into a low depth RPG. And how less it feels like a successor from D:OS1 thanks to those countless changes.

With so many core mechanics changed at the same time, it is not surprising how broken it kind of tends to feel.

addict
addict
No Mans Sky also went through massive controversies with tons of refund-related issues. They did vote with their wallet and there reaction to demanding refund show the game is poor. There are even tons of articles and video that has to do with refund.

You barely see any of that with D:OS2. You will probably have to do go digging for them.

So the wallet result does show. Majority of the playerbase are happy with their spending especially those that play D:OS2 as D:OS2 instead of D:OS1 the sequel. The playerbase is still kicking at 50k and will probably take a month before it drops, which is a very long time since most drop-off usually kicks in a week.

Sure it might be a letdown for those who liked the old D:OS1 combat more but there's no helping the fact that those players are the minority and they haven already given them the modding tool. That's already a big "Ifyoudon'tlikeitgofixityourself" flag if I have seen one.

You probably remember how much I complained on the first day and now, I don't even care anymore and just play it the way it is meant to be played so I can enjoy everything about the game outside the Epilogue.

Last edited by Ellezard; 02/10/17 01:19 AM.
veteran
veteran
So you got accustomed and lowered your standards?

Honestly this <"Ifyoudon'tlikeitgofixityourself" flag> seems more like the reason, why D:OS2 feels far less polished well thought through than the first. I guess, I could live with the armor system, but with everything pretty much dumbed down to ground level, I can hardly feel any real satisfaction.

Also it seems in favor of competativeness the coop-feeling got pretty much annihilated. if you play single player you won't bother, but if you play coop you feel the disconnect hard.

Anyway my friend does not like mods and even though I'm used to mods in Games like Minecraft/Factorio to give them more depth. Needing it for a game like D:OS2? Does not appeal that well.

addict
addict
Having played so many new games, you really get used to accept the fact that they will no longer make insanely complex games anymore unless it's a very dedicated indie studio making them. Modern gaming really is all about figuring why you play a certain game and capitalizing on that. The faster you figure what make you enjoy the game, the easier it is to have fun.

Ever since EA, I already had a feeling D:OS2 was going to be a very simple game. If I wanted some mechanic and real-time decision making, I would just play PoE again and try a new build. Even if they reworked the armor and added in RNG, battle in D:OS2 would never give me the same satisfaction I had from playing PoE unless they added something really scripted and epic into it, which they didn't.

That's why I got over their system real fast and just focus on the story, which is also why I haven't gotten over the epilogue yet and refused to do a Scoundrel Wit Mage run for Lohse story.

Last edited by Ellezard; 02/10/17 01:59 AM.
Z
banned
banned
Z
Originally Posted by Ellezard
We should embrace mediocrity, I did and I am happy, JOIN ME!!!

Fixed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard