Next Thread
Print Thread
#632204 19/10/17 11:53 AM
D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
Yeah, I was playing yesterday on my Honour Mode playthrough. Saved the game in Driftwood, in the Meistrs house and quit.

Just now I start the game and the CONTINUE button is greyed out. I restart the game two times, still greyed out.

I search the Larian folder for the *lsv file. It's gone. 20 hours of game time for the bin. Really thanks, Larian.

Last edited by Daniel213; 19/10/17 11:53 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
uh oh, i guess it's expected, save can be deleted in honour mode to make the game quite.. impossible

Ummm... Hi?
D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
Expected? I think you neither understand Honour Mode, nor my post.

1. The savegame in Honour Mode is never deleted.
2. I didn't die.

Last edited by Daniel213; 19/10/17 04:35 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
You must wait until see the text "Game Saved". I saved once and then press Alt+F4 and my savedata was deleted too, because I was too fast.

Don't have any autosave?

Last edited by Dabbo; 19/10/17 10:01 PM.
D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
If this is true, then this is the most amateurish way to write to a file! I'd like some sort of statement from Larian about that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Daniel213
If this is true, then this is the most amateurish way to write to a file! I'd like some sort of statement from Larian about that.

It indeed does say "Saving game" or something like that when you hit F5. It takes a few more seconds for it to finish, which it will confirm with another hud message saying "Game Saved!". This isn't anything new and it's how lots of games work. It probably states these things specifically to inform the player that the game is writing their save and that they shouldn't hit Alt+F4. I'm sorry that you lost your save, but if this was the case then sadly the fault lies on you being a bit too quick to shut the game down.

D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
I understand. And I wouldn't mind if my game was not saved when I pressed F5 (thus reloading an older save when coming back to the game). But deleting the old savegame is crazy amateurish. I can only imagine one way how this was implemented: The old savegame is deleted and in its place the new savegame is written. If the game is quit between that, the save operation on the new savegame file is not finished.

Instead, the new savegame should be saved to a temporary file. And if it was saved, the old file should be removed and the new file should be moved/renamed.

Yeah, I might have been quick on the ALT-F4. But what happens if my comptuer crashes during the save, or a power outage? A software should account for that stuff - and usually does. In 20 years of gaming -- and I played a shit ton of games during that time -- I not once had it happen that a savegame was deleted.

Edit: ESPECIALLY if you have a game mode where you only have one save file.[u][/u]

Last edited by Daniel213; 20/10/17 05:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yeah, that counterpoint is absolutely legit. Sucks man. Definitely shouldn't be like that.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard