Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
Enemy AI generally is pretty ok, but there are several major issues with it, mostly with movement. This significantly lowers game difficulty even on Tactician and Honour difficulties.
1) It completely ignores opportunity attacks. It doesn't care if it will die or will have 3 free attacks in the face, but it will try to do these two steps from the player even if its next action would be to finish the turn.
2) It completely ignores Ruptured Tendons status. Enemies won't move less with it. They will run around even if it kill them.
3) Most of the enemies will always try to move somewhere without any profit. Not only this causes cheap deaths from opportunity attacks and Ruptured Tendons, but also mostly leaves enemies with only 3 AP instead of 4.
4) Handling of the narrow corridors and doors is still too weak if it's been blocked by doors or ground effects like ice and fire. Usually, they will randomly skip turns, sometimes even in the middle of the hazardous environment.
There is a combat situation in Fort Joy where you can ambush magisters from behind the fence, so the only way for their melee fighters would be to break the gates leading to you. One of them actually started to do this, but others just skipped their turns. What's funny is that they had the key to this gate anyway, but that's a completely different issue.

My point is, the game's AI is pretty good, but seeing these simple yet major mistakes makes me very upset. Hope developers will find a time to improve it.

Last edited by JetNLoad; 28/10/17 03:59 AM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
I'd like to second this request. In one big encounter at the end of Fort Joy, half of oposing group just got stuck on the walls, failing to realise, that there was way to get around them to me. As if they tried to use the closest way to me without taking path finding into account.

Then there's also situation on certain ship, with some enemies inside hidden deck cabin, where certain pyramid shaped object is located. I have entered combat with them, quickly run to the ladder and escaped above. I could not leave combat though, some allied NPC's joined combat but they dumbly stayed in front of the trapdoor leading to the cabin below. Also enemy NPC's just stood below us doing nothing, I could come down in one turn, hit them and then run away and recycle till they were dead. In the end I escaped from combat somehow.

As was said however, the AI is not bad, however pathfinding is terrible.

I don't really want to only sound negative though. DOS 2 has been so far one of the best games I have played in my life. Story is rich, characters, even enemy ones have deph... This issue is just minor thing, but I believe it would be nice if it got fixed.

Last edited by LordGryphon; 02/11/17 05:04 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard