Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello,

I'm pretty sure that this has been suggested before, but it'd be nice if surrounding NPCs wouldn't confront/interrogate your player character(s) after they SHOULD have gotten away with stealing something.

For example, I've used Chameleon Skin to make my player character invisible and steal something and yet an NPC in the area will immediately make a beeline toward another one of my characters (even if those characters are in a totally different area) and start accusing them of stealing. That doesn't make sense to me and it's super frustrating.

There's also no way to reliably lure NPCs away from an area in order to steal something while they're gone, so I always have to steal an item, read it's inventory description really quick, and put it back before a random NPC inevitably takes notice.

stranger
stranger
You can just run far enough away that they stop chasing you...? Which is a lot easier than putting it back. Also, you can read the description of items lying around by mouse over if you hold alt, and items in inventory by initiating pickpocket without actually taking the item in question (technically it doesn't count as stealing yet; no accuses, you can pickpocket the same guy again after this)

Another thing, chameleon skin doesn't cloak the lack of an item at where it should be; of course they will make a beeline to anyone suspicious (your other characters) in the vicinity. But as long as your thief themself doesn't get accosted, you can just run far enough away, unchain the thief from the rest of your party, and just let them search your clean characters.

Tip #1:even if you get caught redhanded, as long as you don't progress the dialogue, you can have another character teleport the accosted character away, and then run before you get accosted again.

Tip #2: ~10 seconds after finding themself stolen from, the NPC will forget the theft altogether, as long as they don't catch you before the reset in their memory.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Hmmm. I haven't tried the Chameleon Skin to loot an NPC. However, the way you are using it ryrytiedye, creates some interesting ideas.

This will require at least 3 characters. Driftwood Square that has people all over the place. You can unchain the invisible character to go grab an item or 2 quick. Keep your group around the corner in a quiet area. Then when they go to accuse someone, you your actual thief (maxed out Thievery + items to augment) to do the main heist.

For the record, if I don't mind adding a couple hours to my Ft Joy time, it is pretty easy to get to Alexander with 50k to 70k gold on hand and a bunch of purchased level 1 and 2 skill books. This gives loads of options even swapping to a completely new party make up once on the Lady Vengeance. smile

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for the feedback!

DOS has many little things that I 'm still trying to learn--like the 10 second "forget" period. I appreciate the response and I will try to use these tips to try to enjoy stealing a bit more.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hmm very interesting proposal you have there wink

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard