#659083 26/02/20 04:21 PM
K
Kizzdon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Topic.

I'm all for die rolls that are visibly seen within the game and not just in the background.

Personally, I'd love to see a system built around the idea of the players being forced to manually click on a button somewhere on the UI that would roll the intended die for any given situation.

I have a basic outline of how it could work in my head, especially if they decided to stroll away from the RTWP aspect and made it TB, but I probably wouldn't be able to form my ideas into word.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Kizzdon; 26/02/20 04:40 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
This is a video game the dice rolls should be hidden.

K
Kizzdon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Hawke
This is a video game the dice rolls should be hidden.

Not so sure I'd automatically jump to that conclusion, I'd play around with it. I think, if done right, the actual die rolls could be very satisfying.

I think it could give the same feelings along the lines of .....let's say....the clicking sound you feel/hear when you press a button that isn't squishy ( those old, stupid tv remote buttons were the worst xD )

Last edited by Kizzdon; 26/02/20 05:03 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I wouldn't be against seeing dice rolls.

But I would strongly oppose manually clicking for rolls. That would just be tedious, and for me personally wouldn't add anything positive to the experience. The rolls happening in a videogame rpg is so much more frequent compared to a tabletop session since you control multiple characters and more so since a videogame moves way faster than a tabletop session.

K
Kizzdon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Waeress
I wouldn't be against seeing dice rolls.

But I would strongly oppose manually clicking for rolls. That would just be tedious, and for me personally wouldn't add anything positive to the experience. The rolls happening in a videogame rpg is so much more frequent compared to a tabletop session since you control multiple characters and more so since a videogame moves way faster than a tabletop session.

I see your points.

I'm curious at the pacing Larian is going for. I'm expecting it to be slower than Divinity. I hope it is at least, I personally would like a little more manual operation. I'd like more detail into the stats I am using when I'm trying to be successful at something.

If they are going to implement RPG systems that have never been in a video game before I just wonder what they could be.

Last edited by Kizzdon; 26/02/20 05:17 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
No.
Seriously why?
Whats the point?
In tabletop simulator maybe.

But even games like Bloodbowl roll the dice automatically aand let you pick the result.

A gimmick like rolling dice is fun... like five times.
I play DnD for a hobby and i can tell you the actual dicerolling bit isnt the fun part, having a PC take care of that for me is quite nice.
Having the PC obfuscate it and make me forget im playing pretend with my friends is even better.

That beeing said.
I am sometimes a sucker for clunky, nonsensical mechanics that feel nice.
I love ATB bars somehow, i sometimes like cunky JRPG UIs and visible movement tiles.

But manual dicerolling is soemthing for a tabletop simulator like game, certainly not a project like BG3 which breaches into tripple A territory.

addict
addict
Dungeons and Dragons online has a visible dice roll, I like it. you can choose the color of your dice as well.

The dice roll just happens as you attack or make a save. Its not something that needs to be clicked. I would love to see something like this added.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
+1 for the idea

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard