Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
journeyman
journeyman
I think this game will be good. But it's not BG3. It really is DOS3: "in baldurs gate". Will it be a good game? I think so. Will it be BG. No.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by ka1man

So will I want to play this? Absolutely!

Will it feel like a true successor to BG2? Hardly.

This^^

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by mszcz
Eh, you people focused on nostalgia...
It not only that, it just doesnt have nothing to do with BG series.

"... and it wasn't table top DnD, it was RT DnD."
Yes mate, your are completly right.

When playing a video game like bg i dont't want to see a huge 20k cube in a middle of a screen, it makes me feel like its a cheap mobile crap. What's next? Payable skins changes?
DOS have a lot of good ideas, the way stealing and party spreading works, elemental and environment combinations.

There was so much potential in this title to make it 100% perfect for all of us.

And once again, deffending the tilte that it was a DnD game, and BG was nothing like DnD suppose to be, means nothing.
Cuz BG 1/2 was BASED on DnD, not actual DnD game.

I understand a wink to paper RPG sension gamers, but its a "FU we will do it our way", wink to BG fans.

What i wanted to see was DA;O-ish next gen, with DOS/POE/Tyranny (spells creation was awesome in Tyranny) ideas.
I hate that they dont even consider letting us to choose between pause and turns like they did in POE.

Nostalgia is not the only focus here. Clearly it's the only thing you seemed to focus on when I made my post.

I'm not defending anything. There are no attacking being made, and if there are attacks being made, it's strange to have to attack someone elses ideas and feelings and pretty much saying it's wrong. I don't see any of that here accept for the very obvious.

Last edited by Morcaster; 28/02/20 08:03 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh, I just wanted to put my point of view on DnD. I never really played it. :\
I don't have an opinion on it and have no knowledge on it. I've played pathfinder, not much.
I see how they are the same in a way. But these are video games not pen and paper. It shouldn't be defined on "Core Rules" or "Versions" Of an ancient pen and paper table top...
I mean, if lots of peoples; including me, would say that these games should be different based off an old game. I can easily argue and say that BG can be new as well... BG can be NEW as well.. Let that sink in.

This is kinda not like BG. This is a look alike to sin. And it's not really New. The series is over 5 years old. and there has been multiple of the game, with the same looking stuff.
So "New" isn't really accurate as well. Calling it a new BG3 is also not really accurate.... It's stuck between two awkward states... I think it's not intentional here, but it's a reality, and that's why so many people here so two sided I bet.

If you would take BG and focus on making BG3 with BG actually in mind. It wouldn't be "New" as well. But at least you can call it BG3, look at it and say "Wow yeah this is BG3!"

Last edited by Morcaster; 28/02/20 08:26 PM.
stranger
stranger
Well we are on the same page here. I just wrote what i felt in emotions and I belive that our view on "tfu BG3" are simillar.

Well as i mentioned. We will see the same story that happend to Diablo 3.
Blizzard started to fail. W3 Reforged.. come on. D4 looks like a dream to fans. And they loved it.
Hope this will happen to BG 4. Im sure that BG3 will sells well. Unfortunetlly. But not as expected, and maybe if not our dissapointment, they money will talk the thier senses

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by mszcz
Well we are on the same page here. I just wrote what i felt in emotions and I belive that our view on "tfu BG3" are simillar.

Well as i mentioned. We will see the same story that happend to Diablo 3.
Blizzard started to fail. W3 Reforged.. come on. D4 looks like a dream to fans. And they loved it.
Hope this will happen to BG 4. Im sure that BG3 will sells well. Unfortunetlly. But not as expected, and maybe if not our dissapointment, they money will talk the thier senses

Blizzard got corrupted becasue they became so large. When diablo 1 and 2 came out, it was a small little company. They lost their way. The mobile is hot garbage and an insult to hard core fans.

I have no sense that the Devs for BG3 are greedy. Prove me wrong though if you want. I'd accept it, but I have got nothing but positive from the devs. It's just a confusing mess.

Last edited by Morcaster; 28/02/20 09:06 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Sordak
Ok.
Listen bruv.

Nothing can bring you back something that doenst exist.
Nostalgia is longing for an idealized version of the past.

You cannot feel nostalgia for a new thing.
When you feel Nostalgia for a new product, it is because you are beeing manipulated to buy something out of nostalgic feelings.
This is not a good thing.

Anyone who bought into the new Star Wars battlefront can tell you that, anyone that bought into the last Mass effect can tell you that.
Anyone that bought Skyrim for the 6th time hoping that htis time it would be Morrowind can tell you that.

Go back and play Baldurs Gate 2.
Nobody is taking it from you, play it i multiplayer, play a new build, try somehting new with it.

Maybe youll realize it wasnt actually as good as it is in your memory, nothing ever holds up to nostalgia.
Savor it for what it is

But dont bother me with it. I dont care
Your nostalgia isnt an argument

Wow what a rude and intolerant post, viewing and way of thinking man. You should rly grow up and let other people have their opinion here. If you don t like it, stop reading and go along. Thank you wink

veteran
veteran
This is Baldur's Gate: Original Sin 3. Plain and simple.

It's not just the shitty TB combat system. The graphics is that same D:OS cartoony ugliness. Character creation is extremely limited because they clearly want you to play a certain character. The companions are all very contrived and set in how the devs want them to be and we don't get to shape them as we want. Party size is reduced to four purely to benefit co-op play, so essentially that is a 'screw you' to single players. The list goes on and on.

This is Larian taking the BG franchise and gifting it to the D:OS fanbase while telling at least a part of the BG fanbase, and a pretty big piece of it at that, to drop dead.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Morcaster
Originally Posted by ForlornHope
I have to say I agree with you, Morcaster. I saw nothing at all that made me think "Baldur's Gate." The feel is totally off. It's inevitable that technical aspects are going to change given the amount of time lapsed and I don't overly object to things like a turn-based system etc, but there seems to be absolutely no inspiration from the originals at play.

I'd love to play D:OS 3, but that's not that I want from this.

Right. This game looks amazing in it's own way. It's just that calling it BG feels wrong. Just because it takes place in the same area.... I'll have to try it and see how it goes. The turn-based gameplay is a huge turn-off however.

Baldur's Gate to me has always been about the story, and how you tell it and interact with it. I will admit that I was nervous when I first saw the game footage. I agree that it did not really look like BG. However, I think that it has great potential. I have played table top RPG for a while and one of the challenges that I had with BG and BG2 is the difficulty of playing multiplayer. I understand the frustration of moving to a turn based combat however I think that it will play a lot better with my family and friends as turn based. (also I love the sneaking, it makes a rouge actually worth playing)

These have just been some of my mixed thoughts about the new information. I think that it is important to remember that the game is not out yet and some things may change aesthetically. Also as I said earlier I think BG has been about the story and I think we can all agree that we would not like it to be spoiled to satisfy our curiosity. Overall I am looking forward to playing the game when it comes out.

Last edited by vometia; 29/02/20 03:01 AM. Reason: formatting
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by dmsephiroth

Wow what a rude and intolerant post, viewing and way of thinking man. You should rly grow up and let other people have their opinion here. If you don t like it, stop reading and go along. Thank you wink

I wouldn't pay much attention to them. S/he's posting much the same on several threads. My impression from their use of language, overall writing and grammar and the form of his/her responses....I'd say s/he is quite young. Young enough in fact I don't think s/he was even born when BG1 and/or 2 were originally released.

Last edited by ZeshinX; 28/02/20 10:20 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

I'm glad your open to changing your mind. I feel the same way, I just try not to be as aggressive as you state; I do feel like attacking...

Reality is, ultimately, I just want to play a good single-player, D&D 5e game. This is looking like that game.

I do find their use of the '3' exceptionally distasteful at present, obviously...but like the game itself, that thought/feeling is not final.

Perhaps there are significant connections to BG1 & 2, perhaps not. Perhaps Larian will remove the '3', perhaps not. They seem like an enormously reasonable studio that, if they think about it and realize there really is no connection of any significance to truly justify the '3', they just drop it (if it's not a binding condition imposed or insisted upon in their deal with WotC of course...then they might agree all the live long day the '3' doesn't belong and there's scant they can do about it anyway).

Will I buy this even with the '3'? Yes, probably, once the full, non-early access release is out, since it still offers something (of quality) I want.

journeyman
journeyman
I remember getting BG when I was 17, loved it. Still love it. Played through the trilogy every couple years, still do. Played all the Infinity Engine games, loved them. Loved TOEE even, with all the bugs. Played all the gold box games with my Dad when I was growing up, still have a soft spot for Eye of the Beholder II. Played all the newer renditions, POE 1, 2, Kingmaker, also played Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, loved them too.

I also play PNP 5E. What I saw yesterday, while everyone was talking about how it looked so much like Divinity 3 or some such, was how a developer has tried to faithfully implement 5E in a video game. I was impressed. The game is using a modified D:OS2 engine, so naturally it shares some of the look of it. But there are several differences, the cut scenes, the character models. The introduction of the Z-axis to DND is very exciting, the introduction of legitimate stealth mechanics is very exciting, as stealth in the BG games and IE games in general, for that matter, was pretty bad.

I might be in the minority when I say that I did not want this game to bring me back to my childhood. Would I like some story elements to reminisce? Sure. Maybe even re-introducing a certain character or two, would scratch the nostalgic itch. But was I expecting the game to look like a re-skinned Infinity Engine game that follows the Bhaalspawn, and this and that? No. Not only did I not want that, but it would do a disservice to what Larian is trying to do. Ultimately, WOTC approached them, because they liked what they saw with D:OS2. They clearly want it to faithfully attempt to recreate the 5E tabletop experience, and I, for one, welcome this.

I hope to introduce my son to it when he gets a little older. The real nostalgia will be coming from trying to recreate the father/son experience I had with my Dad playing the gold box games and EOB trilogy, that is the only nostalgia I'm looking forward to.

Give it a chance, if you want, you may find the "new" can sometimes rekindle the feelings you once had, when a sufficient amount of time has passed.

stranger
stranger
@Morcaster , i do understand your feeling completely , i've been called a baby boomer which i find amusing since im 27 :)) , the thing is that i played these games at 9-10 and replayed them periodically as i was growing up ( currently have all the enhanced editions installed from BG and IwD and still play them sometimes ) , and while i do agree with your sentiment 100% i still have faith in these developers that they will try and make both fans happy...i guess we'll just have to wait and see , most of the younger people or people who have never had these games being tied to various good moments of our childhoods would never understand this sentiment and will never understand why literally 90% of the old fanbase for these games feel disappointed , for me personally , it's the combat system that kills it , sure it's colorful and has a different tone and has many unrecognizable attributes from past BG games , all of which i can accept and feel fine with , but wasting 30-40-50 extra hours of gameplay for combat while watching mobs and my character stare at each other like zombies waiting to finish each others turn is a very very big let down , i could use those hours either to explore and read lore books and dialogue from the game..or just finishing it and restarting the game with a different hero and different choices throughout , I feel that i'm being robbed of my time for no reason...that's basically my biggest let down.

Last edited by Robymyz; 28/02/20 11:50 PM.
old hand
old hand
Blizzard got corrupted becasue they became so large.

No, it is when they became driven by and have to answer to shareholders.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Horrorscope

And they wouldn't have happened if they hadn't gotten so large because the right people owned the company until. Then this ^^. Same difference really

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Iv'e said my peace.
Mostly like won't be coming back.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Horrorscope

And they wouldn't have happened if they hadn't gotten so large because the right people owned the company until. Then this ^^. Same difference really

It is close but it is when the shareholders came in that is the difference, when they were bought buy Activision, they were already large.

S
veteran
veteran
S
>anyone that enjoys innovation is underage
cope harder.

If you cannot apreciate some honest to god advice, then its your own fault.
Nothing can compete with your idealized memories.
The sooner you learn that the sooner youll stop beeing disappointed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard