Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'll give you a fact acfter I checked :

No one said in french (quote from Dark_Ansem)
"Swen knows by heart the BG system".

It says "We have big fans, whose Swen himself, that knows by heart the world of Baldur's Gate".

(world in not really the word, in french it's "univers" but universe in EN is not really the same, we can translate by "lore", but certainly not by system or mecanics)

This is correct.
But the OP is unfortunately NOT.

The Lead Designer HAS played BG2, but admits at the time of it's release he was more of a Final Fantasy player.

He admits he prefers Turn Based over RTwP, because RTwP is messy AND IT IS, whether you like it or not, it IS messy.

Could Larian have put effort into refining a RTwP model, sure. We could argue that. That would be fair. Larian decided not to go that route but rather refince their TB system for which they were known, allowing the, to pour more time and effort into other things. Time will tell if that suffices or if the RTwp vs TB remains for many a deal breaker.

But let us not descend into making false claims against employees of Larian!! This is an unnecesary thread. The article could have been pasted into the existing debate on the two combat systems.

Last edited by Riandor; 06/03/20 12:42 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

Originally Posted by kungfukappa
each time a member of Larian opens up to the press, they reveal more and more how little they actually care for or like BG

I hate to break this to you, but there are fans of BG 1 and 2 who think RTwP is messy. There are fans who like RTwP combat and still think it can get messy.

Considering that you people and Firaxis are hailed for bringing back "turn-based gameplay" I think it was extremely unwise of anyone to not expect BG3 to be TB.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Riandor

It says "We have big fans, whose Swen himself, that knows by heart the world of Baldur's Gate".

(world in not really the word, in french it's "univers" but universe in EN is not really the same, we can translate by "lore", but certainly not by system or mecanics)

This is correct.

The Lead Designer HAS played BG2, but admits at the time of it's release he was more of a Final Fantasy player.

He admits he prefers Turn Based over RTwP, because RTwP is messy AND IT IS, whether you like it or not, it IS messy.

Could Larian have put effort into refining a RTwP model, sure. We could argue that. That would be fair. Larian decided not to go that route but rather refince their TB system for which they were known, allowing the, to pour more time and effort into other things. Time will tell if that suffices or if the RTwp vs TB remains for many a deal breaker.

But let us not descend into making false claims against employees of Larian!! This is an unnecesary thread. The article could have been pasted into the existing debate on the two combat systems.

To be fair, I'd rather they do away with multi-player in its entirety and pour their resources into single-player instead. Now we might get sub-par and buggy single-player and multi-player modes.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by korotama

This is correct.

To be fair, I'd rather they do away with multi-player in its entirety and pour their resources into single-player instead. Now we might get sub-par and buggy single-player and multi-player modes.

ooh no, I have to politely disagree with you here.

I am very much looking forward to playing this with my wife (another BG / NWN fan) and the arguments it will cause!!

"I said talk to the guy, not blow him up, now I'M ON FIRE!!!" :hihi:

Last edited by Riandor; 06/03/20 04:34 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
Did multiplayer detract from Baldurs Gate 2or Icewind dale? Cause they had that.

veteran
veteran

each time a member of Larian opens up to the press, they reveal more and more how little they actually care for or like BG

I hate to break this to you, but there are fans of BG 1 and 2 who think RTwP is messy. There are fans who like RTwP combat and still think it can get messy.

What about that combat being "messy" is a good thing? For me, combat is completely fake and non-immersive and yes even non-tactical (in the true sense of that word) if it is isn't messy.
Messy combat is the only way combat can be good in a game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha

What about that combat being "messy" is a good thing? For me, combat is completely fake and non-immersive and yes even non-tactical (in the true sense of that word) if it is isn't messy.

The ONLY way?

I quite like it, but it is not the only way, it’s a preference for you clearly and that’s ok, but I think people should phrase it that way and not declare absolutes.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
What he ACTUALLY said:
Also, I don’t believe that sticking to the old system can expand to a greater audience..

Ahh yes...the mythical greater audience.
Mistake No1 that is the root of most bad development decisions.

The idea that RTwP is too "messy" or "confusing" is hillarious, when people regularly have to deal with far more messy and confusing things in RL.
Basically, they want a simple system to "expand the audience".

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ellderon

TB isn't "simpler" IMO, it's more thorough. "Expand to a greater audience" can be construed as simplifying things, but it can also mean nothing their they believe more people are turned off by RTwP than they are by TB.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
TB/RTwP discussion is here. Please use it, I have asked many times.

As for the subject of simplification, there are various takes on it. I've seen too many examples of stuff where "streamlining" hasn't so much smoothed things out as shaved off pretty much all of the characteristics that made it worthwhile; but I've also seen as many examples of stuff that ended up being an exercise in complexity for its own sake and just ended up feeling awkward and inconsistent. Not just games but other stuff too. It is possible to simplify stuff without destroying it in the process and there are innumerable examples of stuff that really need it, as much as the idea may make people uncomfortable (and those people often include me).

But I hope this isn't going to turn into a "dumbing down for casuals" assertion as nothing good ever came of that. Indeed it's rather self-fulfilling when it comes to productive discourse.

J'aime le fromage.
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
The OP isn't about Swen, it is about the SENIOR COMBAT DESIGNER who hasn't played BG1, who barely remembers BG 2, and who prefers Final Fantasy.

The SENIOR COMBAT DESIGNER.

What this means is that he is all too happy to reject RTwP because it is too much work for him to try something that is challenging.

I find the statement " because people understand TB, your turn, my turn" to be a huge insult to the intelligence and capabilities of the gaming audience at large.

That is why I choose now to boycott Larian. Because they do not care about players, they care about money. They are no better than Bethesda, et al.

You do not have to agree with me, but there are no lies in the OP.

Last edited by kungfukappa; 06/03/20 06:26 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha

The ONLY way?

I quite like it, but it is not the only way, it’s a preference for you clearly and that’s ok, but I think people should phrase it that way and not declare absolutes.

Didn't my post start with "For me ..."? Maybe you should spend a bit more time policing certain people on the other side from me who've been routinely presenting their personal opinions as facts.

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
If RTwP is "messy" it is literally the job of the senior combat designer to "clean up the mess" ...

in this case he went full "Karen", and got a manager to change the rules so he didn't have to clean up the mess.

And RTwP is messy? Ever play an RTS? Sorry, but rejecting RTwP also rejects the entire expanded fanbase that BG made with cRPG to begin with: computer gamers who don't think real-time is "messy".

Such a lazy and rude way to dismiss an entire demographic. Horrible marketing and PR. That is why boycott. They are just a corporate tool now for Wizards.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Ellderon
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
What he ACTUALLY said:
Also, I don’t believe that sticking to the old system can expand to a greater audience..

Ahh yes...the mythical greater audience.
Mistake No1 that is the root of most bad development decisions.

The idea that RTwP is too "messy" or "confusing" is hillarious, when people regularly have to deal with far more messy and confusing things in RL.

I guess that´s the main reason Larian Studios is making "Baldurs Gate 3" and not "Dungeons&Dragons: New Adventures in Baldur´s Gate Vol.1"
It was a strategic sales decision just to bring the D:OS identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise because Swen think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people (greater audience) than Divinity will have done. Like he mentioned in this interview at 3:30:

"so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also."

Of course Wizards of the Coast also had his hands in there to push their new campaign "Baldur's Gate: Descent in Avernus" which just happened to coincide with the announcement of Baldur´s Gate III.

As David Walgrave mentioned in this interview:
"I don’t know how we keep old-school fans happy [laughs]. They’re hard to please. We noticed a lot of our player-base is people in their teens and 20s"

Larian Studios primarily wants to make their player base happy (save sales) and don´t care much about the old, hard to please, old-school fans but hope that a few them will also buy their game because of the name. Togehter you have a greater audience.

At least you can print on every following game cover: From the Creators of Baldur´s Gate III and reach (maybe) a greater audience.

[Linked Image]

*Edit* In principle, of course, there is nothing objectionable about it. Every company wants to make a profit and appeal to the largest possible audience. But you should be aware that you have deliberately chosen a Baldur's Gate 3 and this - according to Statement Larian Studios itself - strongly linked to its predecessors. Most of the young players *the new audience* were not even born when Baldur's Gate appeared and the title is more likely to appeal to older generations. The young players or Divinity players are not interested in the title anyway.

Last edited by Wiborg Sturmfels; 08/03/20 10:41 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wiborg Sturmfels
Larian Studios primarily wants to make their player base happy and don´t care much about the old, hard to please, old-school fans but hope that a few them will also buy their game because of the name.

Old school didn't start in 1998. I'm in the old school group (AD&D 1st and 2nd editions) and I'm all in.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Larian Studios primarily wants to make their player base happy and don´t care much about the old, hard to please, old-school fans but hope that a few them will also buy their game because of the name.

Old school didn't start in 1998. I'm in the old school group (AD&D 1st and 2nd editions) and I'm all in.

i'm pretty sure it means old base bg fans, not ad&d. and that started in 1998.

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by Dom86

i'm pretty sure it means old base bg fans, not ad&d. and that started in 1998.

In fact, BG was a project to bring D&D to PC gamers who were playing Dune, Starcraft, and Half Life at the time.

BioWare planned for Baldur’s Gate to be a blend of old and new. “It was kind of this examination of the old Gold Box games in terms of their depth and their adherence to the [D&D] rules,” Oster says, referring to a series of D&D RPGs produced by Strategic Simulations, Inc. in the late ’80s and early ’90s. “But then bringing that forward into an almost real-time-strategy-style interface.”

(Trent Oster is one of my idols).

They also make it very clear that BG was never a "pure D&D by the numbers game" which is why I get so frustrated with the "but D&D is TB!" argument, because it is a moot point.

“The ones that have been successful haven’t tried to remake what we did, because when we made it we weren’t trying to make Baldur’s Gate,” Kristjanson says, adding, “You can reduce that too much to, ‘Oh, this should be authentic D&D with the numbers.’ Well, even D&D isn’t authentic D&D. It’s every group has their house rule, and that house rule is because of the way that your particular collection of awesome weirdos wants to play it.”

https://www.theringer.com/2018/12/21/18150363/baldurs-gate-bioware-1998-video-games

Last edited by kungfukappa; 06/03/20 07:20 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Ugh, still this "old fans want this....", "fans of Larian games want this..." going on.
There is no evidence of either of those group existing as a group that wants something as a whole.

There is instead a lot of evidence of the opposite; that there are no such coherent groups at all. Still some people continue to push it as something that is true.

Last edited by Waeress; 06/03/20 07:21 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

BG1 and BG2 were based on the 2nd edition rules and would technically be old school by your definition.

apprentice
apprentice

I already played in 1998 since 15 years, so i would call myself also an old school gamer. But Baldur´s Gate started in 1998 and it was total different from any other D&D game (gold box series).
Like i already said i am open to new features and also open to TB gameplay. Yes, i am also looking forward to the the development of this game but i would like to see that Baldur´s Gate 3 is more then just a cash-grab.

Last edited by Wiborg Sturmfels; 06/03/20 07:29 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard