Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Danielbda #665384 31/03/20 09:53 AM
veteran
veteran
I agree. One feat for everyone would be a better option.

I have only played computer games in DnD 2E and 3E so far, no PnP.
In 3E every char got a feat at lv1, but some classes or races got more.
But in 5E feats have a bigger effect, its a set of several new abilities, not just a minor bonus.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
S
addict
addict
S
I've started updating my D&D software from 3e to 5e. Too early to start theorizing though. Does anyone know if material from books other than PHB, like Xanathar's Guide To Everything, will be included in BG3? If so Gloom Stalker ranger would be of interest.

Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I think most people use the standard array than they would rolling stats.

You've never been to Vegas, have you? wink

Seraphael #665497 01/04/20 08:55 PM
X
journeyman
journeyman
X
Originally Posted by Seraphael
I've started updating my D&D software from 3e to 5e. Too early to start theorizing though. Does anyone know if material from books other than PHB, like Xanathar's Guide To Everything, will be included in BG3? If so Gloom Stalker ranger would be of interest.

They have not stated much. They said that they are mainly focusing on PHB, DMG, and MM, but also are looking at other books (yes, just that vague). And they have said "all PHB classes and subclasses will be in, but we're only talking about the revealed races for now."

Seraphael #665499 01/04/20 09:18 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict

I think most people use the standard array than they would rolling stats.

You've never been to Vegas, have you? wink

The level 20 version of this build has some levels of gloom stalker, such an amazing subclass.

Danielbda #665544 02/04/20 05:34 PM
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Xvim
They have not stated much. They said that they are mainly focusing on PHB, DMG, and MM, but also are looking at other books (yes, just that vague). And they have said "all PHB classes and subclasses will be in, but we're only talking about the revealed races for now."

Thanks! Considering Wizards looks to get subclasses for all eight schools of magic implemented, having just the two PHB subclasses for some classes seems a bit unbalanced. Crossing my fingers for a revised Ranger Gloom Stalker. smile

Originally Posted by Danielbda
The level 20 version of this build has some levels of gloom stalker, such an amazing subclass.

The Legolas and munchkin in me is drooling in anticipation lol. Won't plan that far ahead given the level cap of 10. Want a build that comes on line fairly quickly and that stays strong throughout. Fully expect a sequel for those high-level builds though!

Seraphael #665545 02/04/20 05:45 PM
X
journeyman
journeyman
X

Thanks! Considering Wizards looks to get subclasses for all eight schools of magic implemented, having just the two PHB subclasses for some classes seems a bit unbalanced. Crossing my fingers for a revised Ranger Gloom Stalker. smile

The Legolas and munchkin in me is drooling in anticipation lol. Won't plan that far ahead given the level cap of 10. Want a build that comes on line fairly quickly and that stays strong throughout. Fully expect a sequel for those high-level builds though!

They did also state that Ranger will have some revisions. Not sure what or how much.

Danielbda #665563 02/04/20 11:03 PM
stranger
stranger
Ultimate Tempest

Half-Elf
Sorcerer-6 Draconic
Cleric-4 War

Ability Scores:
Charisma and Wisdom as high as you can.
Constitution next for concentration.

Feats:
Elven Accuracy
War Castor

How it works:
Starting at level 1 with Sorcerer gives you proficiency in Con saves plus War Castor gives you advantage on maintaining concentration. Cast Hold person on enemy. Unleash Lighting Bolt on him which will have advantage thus being able to use Elven Accuracy. Use Channel Divinity: Destructive Wrath to deal max lightning damage (8d6), and then add your Charisma modifier to the damage from Elemental Affinity. Also, you can use your reaction to deal lightning damage to enemies who hit you using Wrath of the Storm. Also get Distant spell and Quickened spell from Metamagic. Distant spell will let you cast Shocking Grasp from distance and Quickened spell will let you cast Actions spells as a bonus action. So then you can follow that Lightning Bolt dealing max damage up with a Shocking Grasp cantrip in the same turn. And boom goes the dynamite.

Xvim #665603 03/04/20 01:36 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict

They did also state that Ranger will have some revisions. Not sure what or how much.

They probably are refering to the revised ranger in the Pnp. The original one sucked pretty hard, so Wotc launched a free suplementary matherial that changed the Ranger's features.

Danielbda #665636 04/04/20 01:37 AM
veteran
veteran
Yeah, even WoTC stated that many classes are considered not very powerful or useful in surveys, but people find it fun to play. Rangers were the last class both in usefulness and fun in almost any survey they made.

I hope the devs do not use the SRD ranger or modify it in a way that is fun to play for most players because it is a class that has potential.

_Vic_ #665638 04/04/20 03:41 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Yeah, even WoTC stated that many classes are considered not very powerful or useful in surveys, but people find it fun to play. Rangers were the last class both in usefulness and fun in almost any survey they made.

I hope the devs do not use the SRD ranger or modify it in a way that is fun to play for most players because it is a class that has potential.

It clear at this point that Ranger is being modified.

Danielbda #665639 04/04/20 07:04 AM
S
veteran
veteran
S
yep, which is good.
Considering mearls keeps going "Ranger is fine, everyone is playing him wrong"

Sordak #665657 04/04/20 12:03 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
yep, which is good.
Considering mearls keeps going "Ranger is fine, everyone is playing him wrong"

Where did Mearls say that?

Danielbda #665664 04/04/20 02:38 PM
veteran
veteran
I do not know if he said that with those exact words, but I recall him saying that most DMs and campaigns do not give the rangers the opportunity to shine and use their skills. I suppose that involves making a campaign where you have to track enemies and travel through forests at fast pace a lot, maybe? (Honestly, druids are better at that)

https://kotaku.com/the-ranger-class-is-getting-some-changes-in-d-d-and-ba-1835659585

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/12/dungeons-and-devs-revising-the-ranger-with-mike-mearls.html

I understand what he is saying, but as a DM or a module creator, I do not know how to make a narrative that makes meaningful and fun that you have advantage in survival checks involving one type of enemy (Because that is what favored enemy is in 5e, you do not get combat bonuses anymore). Most of the time is like:
You are lost in the jungle.
I have favored terrain!-Says the ranger
-Ok, so you do not get lost in the jungle and reach the other side safely
(that´s it)

-You are in the vast ocean of darkness of the Underdark...
-Uh, uh I have favored enemy aberrations so I want to search for tracks of those foul creatures!!! With advantage, no lesss!!-Shouts the ranger.
-Well, I have 20 wisdom, also trained in survival like you and I have like 5 ritual spells I can cast to help with that. Also I can turn into animals with great sense of smell that have advantage too -Says the druid
-Yeah, I can track them with the +1000 divination spells that I have in my spellbook. Also works with all kinds of monsters, not only one type-Smiles the diviner.
-Shut up, you smartasses, this is my moment to shine!!!!-Roars the Ranger.
-Sure, knock yourself out, ranger, give me a roll, with advantage.
-Yeesssss!- He throws the dice.
-Ok, you roll it, and now you know there are tracks leading north, of aberrations.
-Yeaaaah! Those levels of ranger, totally worth it for this epic moment!!!!
-Sure... moving on.

-You are in the jungle again...
-Great, now this is getting serious. Now I am going to move at full speed in this difficult terrain, because I am a ranger!!!! and I am going to spend one minute making a camuflage so I can hide there without moving with a huge +10 to my sneak skill. And only took me 10 levels of ranger to learn those amazing tricks, muhahahahahahah!- Says the ranger.
-You plan on telling him that you have "pass without a trace" and several spells that can give that to the entire party since level 3, druid?-Asks the diviner in a whisper.
-No, just let him have his fun for a while, would you?-Answers the druid.

PD: I mean, I really dig rangers for RP purposes, but to be honest, their skills are laughable compared with the rangers in previous versions of D&D or with other games like pathfinder, for example.

Last edited by _Vic_; 04/04/20 02:58 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
In the above examples, they would all have to waste a spell to do what the Ranger can naturally do. Spells are a commodity if the casters can't rest before the fight.

The ranger not getting lost in a terrain type doesn't mean they are out of the woods. His guidance could lead them towards an encounter they might night wanted to be in. Not every creature roaming the forest is the Ranger's favorite enemy. To avoid the Giants, they run into a pack of Gnolls who were doing the same thing.

Just some thoughts. silly

P.S. I really want to see how Larian is going to handle the Ranger also. Cause I am not saying it couldn't be improved.

veteran
veteran
...Or use ritual casting for your divination spells... Also wands, scrolls, or simply use your skill of survival (any class can do it) with guidance or a bard´s inspiration. You do not really need a ranger or waste a spell for that because guidance is a cantrip and ritual casting is free if you have time. That if you do not have items that does the same. The elven cloak that gives you even better chances to hide, and you can move from the spot for example.

The point is that it´s hard to give the Rangers a chance to shine with those features they have, and you have more players to entertain, you cannot be creating situations for the rangers to do something every session. Ranger´s features are too situational IMHO.

Last edited by _Vic_; 04/04/20 03:16 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
A lot can happen in the ten minutes it takes to cast the spell, the quarry could escape, those that are chasing them can catch up. You have to have the spell components for the Ritual casting. It could be raining out. (Would a wizard want to stand in the rain casting a ritual spell for 10 minutes, when the ranger can track? If so then the Wizard is a glory hound and doesn't want anyone else to play the game.)

It isn't always cut and dry.

The story the DM and players should create is a spirit of party cooperation, not who can stand out the most.

veteran
veteran
If you say so, but you can simply use stealth and survival with guidance (everybody can do it), or use items like the cloak of elvenkind, you do not really need the ranger features to track or hide with high chances of success; The elven cloak that gives you even better chances to hide, and you can move from the spot for example. Also, a druid is far better at tracking than a ranger, because they usually have more wisdom and can use some spells or shapeshifting forms to support his abilities, including the free cantrip guidance (+1d4) and those skills are not only for one type of monster. For that matter, even some clerics or a monk could be a better tracker or the skill powerhouses of the rogues and bards.

...Or you can simply use wands or scrolls if you can if you do not have time to cast the ritual spell, but it is not mandatory. You usually do not have to do that many survival checks in the session, a few will suffice.

ED: Also I forgot spells like scrying. Unless your quarry goes to another plane of existence, you can track it in any place in the world. Beats favored enemy any day of the week.

Honestly, I fail to see how features that gives you an advantage in survival checks to track one kind of enemy, to spend one minute to create a bonus +10 to hide in a place that you cannot move or that you can move at full speed in difficult terrain do not seem a little underwhelming when at those same levels other classes are evading deadly blows, running at double speed, inspiring the party, casting amazing spells, shapeshifting into savage beasts, killing with a touch of their hands and more...

The story the DM and players should create is a spirit of party cooperation, not who can stand out the most.

I disagree. I found out that if a party member does not felt useful or does not have the opportunities to participate he does not have fun and tends to space out. It is a party-based game, which means that the best outcome is that everybody is having fun. So that means that everybody would need a chance to do something in the session. That is not standing out, it´s simply that everybody participates.

Last edited by _Vic_; 04/04/20 04:27 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict

I disagree. I found out that if a party member does not felt useful or does not have the opportunities to participate he does not have fun and tends to space out. It is a party-based game, which means that the best outcome is that everybody is having fun. So that means that everybody would need a chance to do something in the session. That is not standing out, it´s simply that everybody participates.

Couldn't agree more. That's why I don't understand DM that hate strong characters (powerplayers, you might say), built legitimately using the rules but love weak-ass "complex" characters that are very entertaining when not being saved every turn when in combat.
We had an Elements Monk in our group that rolled the best scores, up to like almost 90, and yet he was by far the weakest and less efficient. However our DM loved him and hated when my Assassin "spoiled" his plans by one shotting enemies.

Last edited by Danielbda; 04/04/20 03:36 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
Im a DM, i dont love overpowered or weak characters.
But i hate characters that step on the toes of multiple other characters.
Each person has a role, and they should be able to fulfill that and dont get canceled out by other characters.

most editions of DnD arent balanced and i do houserule a lot because of that. especialy whne it comes to spell / ritual selection

S
addict
addict
S
In the above examples, they would all have to waste a spell to do what the Ranger can naturally do. Spells are a commodity if the casters can't rest before the fight.

The ranger not getting lost in a terrain type doesn't mean they are out of the woods. His guidance could lead them towards an encounter they might night wanted to be in. Not every creature roaming the forest is the Ranger's favorite enemy. To avoid the Giants, they run into a pack of Gnolls who were doing the same thing.

Just some thoughts. silly

P.S. I really want to see how Larian is going to handle the Ranger also. Cause I am not saying it couldn't be improved.

You're arguing about exploration as a viable class balancing feature in pen and paper, which for BG3 I suspect is moot given that that kind of exploration probably won't be implemented in the game. At least in not any significant way. So some of the problems Vic describes about the PHB Ranger, would likely have been exacerbated that much more in BG3 unless doing a revised version where the exploration features are made universally useful by adding combat aspects to it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard