Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
I do not say PoE is better than DnD.
I wanted to say that for new players it is much easier to understand whats going on in PoE compared to DnD, especially 3E/pathfinder.
I have not played 5E so far.

If people like the DnD, PoE or another system more is a matter of personal taste.
There are DnD games that are much better than PoE.
PST is one of the best RPGs ever, but I like it because of story and characters, not because the exact way of how dice are rolled. Combat was quite terrible and easy there.
ToeE and IWD may have great combat, but I never finished them because of story was missing or bad. After beating tons of monsters I asked myself why am I doing this?

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict
Well, IWD has a amazing story. Is just not the typical "saving the world" stuff.

Is just a small frozen region of Faerus which always had very decentralized small cities/tribal societies and a evil tyrant wanna "unify" the region. Instead of "good vs evil", you have "chaos vs law". Each place that you visit have a unique lore behind it, the dungeons are gorgeous,

I don't like ludonarrative dissonance. Having wizards intellectuals on lore and a low int wiz possible in game makes no sense.

veteran
veteran
Maybe IWD had a good story, but after killing tons of monsters in a dungeon I have forgotten why I was there and I lost my motivation to go on.

Lets just say I am not a big fan of dungeon crawlers and I prefer games that focus more on characters and story.
Maybe it is just the fact that all chars are created by yourself.
I played BG2 once with a party of self made chars but I quit soon after. It was just boring without Minsc and co.
I finished only one dungeon crawler (Mary Skelters Nightmare), a JRPG were all characters have a personality and there are many scenes that show the relationship between those characters.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
veteran
There are mods that add actual companions to IWD EE and IWD2. Some of them have interesting stories.
The same thing happened to me to (Even tho I finished the game) and the companions improved my game experience with IWD a lot.

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/npcs/iwd2npc/

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/in...k=blogcategory&id=174&Itemid=122

Last edited by _Vic_; 11/05/20 01:11 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
honestly the story is not what iremember baout icewind dale, but i gotcha, something less world spanning can indeed be quite fun

I don't think its possible for Larian to make BG3 solo-able without removing parts that make this D&D and not divinity. Unless they have the tech built in to adjust ALL enemy encounters to a single player game...I don't see it happening because a single PC just isn't strong enough, no matter how min-maxed. With a level CAP of 10, you are going to see monsters/enemies up to CR 11-14 most likely in the bosses. For a single PC, a CR 5 monster is technically a medium difficulty. A CR 10 monster, in most cases, is impossible for one PC. And since they have built the entire game and there are no random spawns, I don't see them being able to substitute to account for a single PC.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by deathidge
I don't think its possible for Larian to make BG3 solo-able without removing parts that make this D&D and not divinity.

Uh, both divinity: OS games are party based too. And you also play in coop multiplayer so the people that play parties-of-one-character are a minority, so I dont really get the comparison.
If you say "make this D&D and not Assassins creed" "Make this D&D and not Syrim" "make this D&D and not Devil may cry" that would be more accurate.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by deathidge
I don't think its possible for Larian to make BG3 solo-able without removing parts that make this D&D and not divinity. Unless they have the tech built in to adjust ALL enemy encounters to a single player game...I don't see it happening because a single PC just isn't strong enough, no matter how min-maxed. With a level CAP of 10, you are going to see monsters/enemies up to CR 11-14 most likely in the bosses. For a single PC, a CR 5 monster is technically a medium difficulty. A CR 10 monster, in most cases, is impossible for one PC. And since they have built the entire game and there are no random spawns, I don't see them being able to substitute to account for a single PC.

There are a lot of solo BG1 videos on youtube despite BG1 being a low level campaign. Here is a example ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJG6e87kcQ&list=PL2WPFAeW-5u7ZmnUifMiF4LSjuOTpSIh1&index=1 )

You are also forgetting that PCs have a thing called planning, metaknowledge and strategy. Malavon is considered one of the hardest IWD bosses and here is i soloing him with no damage on max difficulty.

Originally Posted by _Vic_
you can fight a necromancer in level 81 and they are still using the same ice spell against you from when you were level ten, they just do more damage, have better equipment and are tougher to kill.

That is a HUGE problem. Lv 81 necromancers should be using expert/master frost destruction spells, have a army of undead, among a lot of other things. Buffing only health and damage is the worst way to make a mob harder. Having high level enemies feeling more like spell/arrow/strike sponges instead of powerful enemies is not good.

Even Diablo 1, a very streamlined game from 97, enemies casts different spells, are in different levels, has immunities and resistances, attack ratting and armor class, etc; on hell compared to normal.

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 12/05/20 06:17 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard