Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Baraz Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Greetings,

I know D&D 5e makes Dash a pure action as such instead of the former option to convert the Attack action into a second Move. But, in practice, the later does not alter the rules or affect gameplay nor game balance, yet gives the players a bit more flexibility if they realize one Move was not enough (sacrificing their Attack to do a second Move).

I see no reason not to allow it, as it does not affect anything else.
( Unlike Evade, which is a particular action that does affect gameplay. )

ps: the current animation for Dash looks like a spell and that is not really immersive for me. Suggestion: a sprinting-like body language would be fine for double-move/Dash.

veteran
veteran
I´m a little puzzled here...

In D&D 5e Dash is an action: you trade your attack/Spell/use item action for it like you said. And in the gameplay they used it as such. The gizhyanki fighter used his "Action surge" to attack after a dash, which means that she used his normal action before to dash.

The only ones that make a dash as a bonus action are rogues and some subclasses.

Dash
When you take the Dash action, you gain extra movement for the current turn. The increase equals your speed, after applying any modifiers. With a speed of 30 feet, for example, you can move up to 60 feet on your turn if you dash.

Any increase or decrease to your speed changes this additional movement by the same amount. If your speed of 30 feet is reduced to 15 feet, for instance, you can move up to 30 feet this turn if you dash.

Last edited by _Vic_; 19/06/20 02:13 AM.
Baraz Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I´m a little puzzled here...

In D&D 5e Dash is an action: you trade your attack/Spell/use item action for it like you said. And in the gameplay they used it as such. The gizhyanki fighter used his "Action surge" to attack after a dash, which means that she used his normal action before to dash.

The only ones that make a dash as a bonus action are rogues and some subclasses.

Dash
When you take the Dash action, you gain extra movement for the current turn. The increase equals your speed, after applying any modifiers. With a speed of 30 feet, for example, you can move up to 60 feet on your turn if you dash.

Any increase or decrease to your speed changes this additional movement by the same amount. If your speed of 30 feet is reduced to 15 feet, for instance, you can move up to 30 feet this turn if you dash.

Hello,

The way it is set-up currently, you select the Dash action at the start on your turn (you cannot attack afterwards unless you have a Bonus Action that applies, like Action Surge for a Warrior). In the older method, you can Move, and then realize you should Move again (sacrificing your potential other type of action like an attack). The difference is you are not restricted to selecting Dash to start with, but can begin by doing a normal Move and then a second Move if needed. It amounts to exactly the same, but it is a more flexible mecanism.

Last edited by Baraz; 19/06/20 03:03 AM.
veteran
veteran
Ah, gotcha. Well it´s a TB combat game so you can measure before moving but if they do it the way you suggested would be easier.

stranger
stranger
I'm confused as to what you mean here. You can take the dash action at any point during your turn as long as you haven't already used your action. You can move, then take the dash action, and continue moving with the extra movement given by the dash action.

stranger
stranger
In BG3, Dash is a bonus action.

The D&D 5e rules set, make that you can use your action or bonus action in the order you may choose and your movement scattered between those actions and bonus action as you see fit.

Exemple, you can move 9 meters in a turn, you may move 3 meters to reach a creature, use your action to do an attack, you kill that creature, then you move toward another creature with your remaining 6 meters but that's not enough, then you use your bonus action to dash to reach the next creature, you use your action surge feature to get a second action on this turn and use that said second action to do an attack.

A turn, whoever you are or whatever you are, is

- Move
- Action
- Bonus action
- Reaction

Consider those as ''slots'' which you can use place and trigger specific features from your race, class, etc., some classes gives features that will consume your bonus action like the spell Shield Of Faith, or the rage feature of a barbarian. Some races or classes don't gives features that use your bonus action. You decide what order you want to use your bonus action, action, reaction, movement (which you divide the way you desire between all your actions/bonus actions).

For a barbarian, isn't rare to start with the bonus action to trigger his rage feature and then moving toward the enemy and use the action to do an attack with the bonus implied by the rage feature.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Krytopsy
In BG3, Dash is a bonus action.

This isn't correct. Just like 5e, Dash is an action. Only rogues can take Dash as a bonus action, as I recall. If you look at the gameplay presentation from today, you'll notice that Dash is listed as and acts as an Action.

stranger
stranger
A rogue can take his bonus action to dash, monk using Ki and wizard, sorcerer, warlock using the spell Expeditious retreat. Yes, the presentation from today shown Dash as an action.

But everything else in regards to D&D 5e is true. I don't get the confusion.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The Dash is Movement + Action (doubles your movement)

Some Classes get the ability (Such as Rogues at 2nd Level) to take the Dash as Movement + Bonus Action.

Fighter's, as well as other classes (subclasses), get an ability called Action Surge which allows them to take an extra Action.

Last edited by Nobody_Special; 19/06/20 04:58 AM. Reason: fixed the word combat to correct term Action.
stranger
stranger
What is combat ? What is Dash as movement ?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Combat was supposed to be Action. (I forgot to change it before I posted.)

stranger
stranger
As a rogue, you can

- Move (7.5m/9m)
- Action used to take the Dash action (7.5m/9m)
- Bonus action used to take the Dash action as a bonus action (Rogue feature called Cunning action) (7.5m/9m)
- Reaction

And take each of those in the order you want.

The way you use to describe the 5e rules set is totally made up and not in the actual D&D 5e player’s handbook.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I explained it correctly.

The Dash action = the use of your movement + your Action

For a Rogue at 2nd level. The Dash Action = the use of your movement + your Bonus Action. Then if you wanted you can make it a Double Dash which = your movement + your Bonus action + your action. Moving the Distances you have stated. Although my PHB uses feet and not meters.

stranger
stranger
I never seen the term Double Dash in the D&D 5e player’s handbook, what page are you referring to ?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Double Dash is something only those with Dash as a Bonus action can do.

Jeremy Crawford expounded on Twitter when asked about it.
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/01/double-dash-in-1-turn/

stranger
stranger
Double dash is a made up term, Crawford even clarified it in this link.

stranger
stranger
A rogue can take his bonus action to dash, monk using Ki and wizard, sorcerer, warlock using the spell Expeditious retreat. Yes, the presentation from today shown Dash as an action.

But everything else in regards to D&D 5e is true. I don't get the confusion.

It's just that your scenario is decidedly impossible for most classes; no confusion. You said:

Exemple, you can move 9 meters in a turn, you may move 3 meters to reach a creature, use your action to do an attack, you kill that creature, then you move toward another creature with your remaining 6 meters but that's not enough, then you use your bonus action to dash to reach the next creature, you use your action surge feature to get a second action on this turn and use that said second action to do an attack.

Only rogues and monks would actually be able to do this. Fighters (the class you're describing here), have no ability to dash as a bonus action, therefore the scenario described here is impossible.

stranger
stranger
Impossible indeed except for characters with either 2 levels of fighter and 2 levels of rogue, or 2 levels of fighter and 1 level of warlock, wizard or sorcerer using the Expeditious Retreat spell or 2 levels of fighter and 2 levels of monk. My initial post was in regards to the Dash action which was previously used as a bonus action for every class in the previous gameplay event of BG3. But my attempt to clarify and the remaining informations I put here remains true.

Baraz Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Kenpari
I'm confused as to what you mean here. You can take the dash action at any point during your turn as long as you haven't already used your action. You can move, then take the dash action, and continue moving with the extra movement given by the dash action.

Hello,
If you are correct : that is, if in the current version of BG3, you can do the Dash Action anytime (before, during or after a Move), then my suggestion is needless and all is good. From the gameplay video, I had the distinct impression that you could not choose to Dash after starting your Move, but I could be wrong.

About "double Dash" : a Rogue or Monk can both use the Dash Action and their special extra Dash Bonus Action.

Last edited by Baraz; 19/06/20 11:16 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard