Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
This sounds like a fairly silly request, but would it be possible to have the option to play with the first iteration of character dialogue choices? I really liked the past tense narration - I thought it was original, interesting, and made more sense with a nonspeaking character. I enjoyed reading them and feeling as if I was in the middle of an epic tale.

This is definitely not a criticism, and the new way is fine, but Id prefer and have more fun with the old. It's already written (unless it wasn't all written yet), so would it be possible to have a menu choice to use the past tense narration style? That'd be quite awesome.

What think you?
*I posed the question and awaited a response.

veteran
veteran
Not silly, but really excentric I guess smile

I don't like it but why not if you do...
...but I think it's hard to write the entire game 2 times...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/06/20 07:16 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
I suppose it depends on how much extra work is needed, since it would obviously double some of the recording.

Judging by the trailers and first looks, they have been using performance capture for the origin characters in dialogue, but I assume the narration lines were using standard sound recording, which is easier/quicker to do. I assume ( from some of Swen's comments ) that recording has not gone past the EA point in the story yet, so I doubt they have all the past tense lines already available.

I personally found the past tense choice odd, but I don't think I saw enough of it to judge if it would also be annoying. Quite a few people obviously did react badly to the idea.

Edit: With an unvoiced protagonist, it would be easier to have the option you seek; but I am assuming from Larian comments that all characters, including custom protagonists, will be fully voiced, although that was not the case in the latest gameplay demo. In the original gameplay reveal, Swen played Astarion, who did voice past tense narration.

I would also be happy to choose an unvoiced custom protagonist, present or past tense, since the dialogue choices are well written. ( Compare this to some games with full voicing use emotion-based paraphrasing in the dialog choices, which then result in totally unexpected/unwanted voiced dialog ).

Last edited by etonbears; 22/06/20 08:29 AM.
veteran
veteran
That would be nice. Mi pals dig the past tense narration like in DoS and kinda missed that.

I do not play the game in English anyway so I´m Ok either way.

veteran
veteran
You do realize that the writers would need to do the rest of the game in two styles for that, yes? And if any of those options get VA, that would be two recordings? Simply put, it's not a good use of time and resources to do the same thing twice.

veteran
veteran
I like the new version much better than the old version.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Stabbey
You do realize that the writers would need to do the rest of the game in two styles for that, yes? And if any of those options get VA, that would be two recordings? Simply put, it's not a good use of time and resources to do the same thing twice.

I thought most of the player dialogue would have already been written, but I see I was mistaken about that. And I didnt even know they were planning to voice our dialogue - that seems fairly unnecessary. You do realize starting responses with "you do realize" makes you sound like a curmudgeonly hat?

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard