Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Watching the latest play stream it became really clear how different the Goblins are compared to previous Forgotten Realms CRPGs.

They aren't generic kill bots, they have personalities, they all look different from each other, they are clearly individuals. To achieve this Larian had to make a significant investment in goblins, of a level equal or greater then required for PC Goblins.

This means that if Goblins aren't playable they aren't making maxim use of their investment in Goblin models and other assets.

And if this is true to Hobgoblins, Bugbears, and Lizardfolk ect... Then we could end up with a lot of races.

Could be, but it is also possible, because it is one of the the first area of the game and it has to look very-very good, detailed or maybe the whole game will look that good...
But yes they look better and more detailed, than some of the characters at the first gameplay, so it is still possible.

I guess, the most complicated is not the detailed look of characters, but the race variant for conversations, and quests. I still hope for Githzerai, as sub-race next to Githyanki... smile

With mods, you probably could play as other races like lizardfolk ect later on, although not all animations would work for armors/weapons, spells, dash, push ect...

Last edited by Minsc1122; 22/06/20 05:32 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Minsc1122
Could be, but it is also possible, because it is one of the the first area of the game and it has to look very-very good, detailed or maybe the whole game will look that good...
But yes they look better and more detailed, than some of the characters at the first gameplay, so it is still possible.

I guess, the most complicated is not the detailed look of characters, but the race variant for conversations, and quests. I still hope for Githzerai, as sub-race next to Githyanki... smile

With mods, you probably could play as other races like lizardfolk ect later on, although not all animations would work for armors/weapons, spells, dash, push ect...

It's not just the details, although it's a factor, it's the shear variety of appearances which suggests PC style customization options for Goblin appearances.

And if they did that for Goblins, then it's possible they did it for other humaniod races too.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i dont think theyll be playable, else they wouldnt appear in that way.

But i think theyll be modded to be playable within the first couple of days of the beta

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
i dont think theyll be playable, else they wouldnt appear in that way.

But i think theyll be modded to be playable within the first couple of days of the beta

Appear in what way?

veteran
veteran
Every single playable race will need an animation for every possible action and every type of weapon. A lot of those will probably need to go in for NPC's anyway. The real problem though, is if the world of Forgotten Realms has lore where certain races are typically unwelcome strolling through the middle of town. If so, then reactions to those additional races need to be taken into account.

animations shouldn't require a whole lot more work to add a new race, like goblin. you can take the skeleton from a similar sized race, like halfing or dwarf, and fit new goblin pieces on it, adjust some bone lengths, etc, but the animation points should basically stay the same.

S
veteran
veteran
S
they are treated like a badguy race.
As in, they appear in a homogenous group and treat the player characters as an outgroup based on them not beeing goblins , at least that was my take away form it. with the whole "goblins will rise above humies"

veteran
veteran
One possibility, if they actually do give us a selection of monstrous races to play, is that they'll fall back on their 'veiled' system, and socially less acceptable races will need to conceal their identity in civilised areas... however, given Wizard's philosophical statements on these kinds of things moving forward, it's more likely that any monstrous race characters, by virtue of being and acting like a reasonable individual, with other companions, will simply be accepted as such, perhaps with some caution and mistrust, but accepted all the same.

Last edited by Niara; 22/06/20 11:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
Goblin characters are always fun to play, even if they´re not green anymore he he.

I think it´s a fair point, and I really enjoy goblin characters in PF2e but before the option to play goblins I prefer if you can play all the playable races: Goliath, Kenku, Aasimar, warforged, firbolg, tabaxi, etc and then add some.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard