Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
_Vic_ Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I think this explains a lot about the name...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by LoneSky
Now if we take each name we don't like and suggest another name, while explaining it why this could be better... that could be more useful. Unless voices are already recorded.

How could the audience come up with the appropriate name, if they don’t write the character?

Agreed.
If he insists, we could try with Bella Elena Bloodbag for the cleric and Damon Edward Tall´DarkandToothy for the vampire spawn as a name placeholder with the little we know. We could work from there.

( I hope I don´t have to add a /joke in here after this post too laugh )

Last edited by _Vic_; 01/08/20 02:59 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LoneSky
Now if we take each name we don't like and suggest another name, while explaining it why this could be better... that could be more useful. Unless voices are already recorded.

How could the audience come up with the appropriate name, if they don’t write the character?

I don't think the writers would mind some polite suggestions, after all useful feedback helps each of us, no matter what we do. Still, at this point is likely too late to make such changes.

_Vic_ Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Sure, but as wormerine pointed out, you hardly can come up with an appropriate name or even suggestions if you do not know the story, background, childhood, place and culture of his birth, or even if the character has a birth name or a nickname, street name or title. And right now we know little about the characters. That´s something for the authors, their editors and proofreaders to do.

Making the Larian devs changing their names isn´t the main purpose of the thread, I do not think anyone asked that here; but to discern if they are following alternate ways of naming their characters outside some standards, making jokes, discussing apostrophes and of course, talk about Paw Patrol.

[Linked Image]

They already included the characters of BG3 in the FR wiki. No new info in there, sadly.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Shadowheart
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Wyll
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Raphael

Last edited by _Vic_; 01/08/20 03:52 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_

Making the Larian devs changing their names isn´t the main purpose of the thread, I do not think anyone asked that here; but to discern if they are following alternate ways of naming their characters outside some standards, making jokes, discussing apostrophes and of course, talk about Paw Patrol.

Yup, and tis possible that as silly as those names seem they might make more sense if we get to know characters better. The floating skull in Torment was named Morte rolleyes... and he was great.

journeyman
journeyman
I thought names aren't supposed to be that related to their character? Weren't you complaining about Gale for literally that reason? Lol

_Vic_ Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by neongreg
I thought names aren't supposed to be that related to their character? Weren't you complaining about Gale for literally that reason? Lol

I think it´s pretty clear for anyone that actually read the posts of the others before posting that I proposed that statement applies "unless they´re made up names" so knowing the backstory of the character and if he has a birthname or not it´s important for naming a character, amongst other things, IMHO. wink

Usually they advise you to avoid names in modern fantasy that describe the personality of the character (because it sounds artificial to call a pyromancer "Cinder" or your BBEG "Bloodrain" or "Slithertongue" unless they´re made-up names).

I remember this tribe of an adventure where people are named when they reach adulthood, and their names were "Ratcatcher" "Speartrhower", etc because those are their jobs, or in the "tyranny" game conscripts that survive get to choose their names after become one with the Scarlett chorus, so they have names like Verse, Fine ass, BloodMulch, etc.

That´s different to have a birthname such as "Goodall Smitehammer" and then you find the guy becomes a paladin in his adulthood, just like his name implies; without the story giving you a reason (Like all his family are bounded to give their firstborn to the Order to be trained or something like that).

Last edited by _Vic_; 02/08/20 08:44 AM.
_Vic_ Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Yup, and tis possible that as silly as those names seem they might make more sense if we get to know characters better. The floating skull in Torment was named Morte rolleyes... and he was great.

Yeah, and Ignis too.
There are great characters with names that are an earful, like "Hiro Protagonist" and "Molly Millions" for reasons that are clear in the story.

It was said that Peeta and Katniss of the Hunger games is also a strange couple of names but it all makes sense when you realize that you can call the power couple "Peeniss"

Last edited by _Vic_; 01/08/20 04:55 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks @Wormerine, You have earned a boing point.

BTW I was joking before but of course there´s a Shadowheart novel with a shirtless vampire guy in the cover. I´m not even surprised in the slightless.

[Linked Image]

Awesome. People say you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover.

However, I judge this book to be trash. Not even regular trash, possibly contaminated medical waste.

veteran
veteran
So far I had no problems with names in games. OK, I do not care that much about it.

I am not a native english speaker and I know nothing about spanish,
but since we already talk about bad naming, here are some names you should never give to someone in germany:

Claire Grube
Martha Pfahl
Anna Bolika
Penny Celine
Axel Schweiß

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
That´s different to have a birthname such as "Goodall Smitehammer" and then you find the guy becomes a paladin in his adulthood, just like his name implies; without the story giving you a reason (Like all his family are bounded to give their firstborn to the Order to be trained or something like that).

Good point, Vic - I like it in fantasy/D&D settings when monikers are earned by deeds - good and ill.

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
_Vic_ Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Parents in BG3 be like...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

veteran
veteran
That's explains why Shadow<3 is so grumpy. Traumatic childhood.

Banned
Banned
Parents in BG3 be like...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Haha! Great meme. Love it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard