Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#671654 09/08/20 03:49 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Will xp be distributed evenly among party members like in bg 1 and 2, that is a party of 3 will level up twice as fast as a party of 6 members?

How do you gain XP outside of combat?
Can you play a non-combat oriented party and do well in the game?

Last edited by Mongoose; 09/08/20 06:55 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Will xp be distributed evenly among party members like in bg 1 and 2, that is a party of 3 will level up twice as fast as a party of 6 members?

How do you gain XP outside of combat?
Can you play a non-combat oriented party and do well in the game?

If you haven't had the chance to check out the (I think two now?) gameplay reveal videos, you should. If I recall correctly, plenty of opportunities for earning XP outside combat (thru exploration, conversation, etc) and lots of opp for stealthy characters to sneak around and find ways to defeat enemies (e.g., traps, environmental lighting and using objects) that don't involve head on combat.

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
veteran
veteran
In this interview with Edouard Imbert, senior designer there´s an interesting answer :

Edouard Imbert translated interview

Can fights be avoided by using social skills?
Yes. All the fights that Sven did [Editor's note: in the version shown to the press], could have been avoided. There is none that was essential. Each time, there is a dialogue: that's something new. It's a big evolution for us since DOS 1. In this game, you had monsters; they were aggressive so as soon as they saw you, they attacked you. It is something that we no longer do or if we do, it is extremely rare. Without exaggerating, you can avoid everything. You can talk, lie or just hide each time. There is no fight that you have to do.

Sounds like roguelike tactics and stealth could be feasible to bypass many enemies of the game, so maybe it could be possible to play an entire run of the game using those tactics and that would be logical that you gain XP that way. I think in the gameplay you earn a little "Exploration XP" if you find some places.

The way he phrased it kinda remembered me the V:TM bloodlines game, where you can achieve your objectives not only fighting, but using your social skills, cunning tactics or stealth. That sounds like a great approach that I look forward to, but I do not think they go for a Shadowrun/V:TMB/Tides of numenera approach where almost all combat is avoidable and you get xp for objectives not for enemy killed ( In the gameplay you receive xp per goblin killed)

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Question is if you gain as much XP by sneaking past guards or by avoiding conflict as you would by fighting them. If not, there s no incentive not to fight, which is kinda dumb!

The other question is how XP are distributed among party members. If a small party does not advance faster than a large, there s no reason not to play with a full party! Fighting off a group of goblins on your own should be better rewarded than when facing those same goblins with a team of 6.

Last edited by Mongoose; 12/08/20 11:54 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Question is if you gain as much XP by sneaking past guards or by avoiding conflict as you would by fighting them. If not, there s no incentive not to fight, which is kinda dumb!

Yeah this is a very big question for me too. If I ever played this game, I would absolutely want to avoid combat as much as possible. But if that means I end up with less XPs, and also less loot and less ways of getting "good" endings for quests, etc., then that would be ridiculously bad game design.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard