Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
We see so many people here complaining that BG3 feels more like D:OS than BG1&2.

Well guess what, BG3 is supposed to emulate a DnD (5th edition) experience, and last time I checked DnD had turn-based combat.
If BG3 looks more like D:OS than BG1&2, it's probably because D:OS was closer to the DnD gameplay (in combat at least) than BG1&2 did.

Whether you like it or not, BG1&2 did NOT play like DnD, so please stop with the comparison.

apprentice
apprentice
I've spent about 1000 hrs on bg1/2 enchanced edition and i dont really know what DnD is... and i dont care... I want another baldurs gate game. Whether you like it or not being something else then bg1/2 is not gonna make it as succesfull.

stranger
stranger
This is my first post in these forums. As someone that has played a few games of DnD, including 5th and consider BG 1&2 two of my top 5 rpgs of all time. I 100% agree with OP.

veteran
veteran
Cool story wink

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alexawow2006
I've spent about 1000 hrs on bg1/2 enchanced edition and i dont really know what DnD is... and i dont care... I want another baldurs gate game. Whether you like it or not being something else then bg1/2 is not gonna make it as succesfull.

Then you need to take this up with WOTC because video game developers are not allowed to use older rulesets than the most current.

Lots of people including me have wanted a new Baldurs Gate game using the same ruleset and features of the first two games ever since BG2, but those who have realized how it works know that this can never happen due to how the licensing for DnD games works.

In contrast I find it funny yet odd as to how Idle Champions ever got officially licensed as a valid DnD game when it features absolutely nothing to do with any of the DnD rulesets and is just an idle clicker with a morally repugnant cash grab shop.

I can tell you with a 100% certainty that ever since BG2, I have been the sole individual and only person actively asking for newer games to be made with the same ruleset and features, maybe with the new prestige classes added on top, across every DnD video game related fan site, and every other person disagrees with this and wants new games to be made using the latest rulesets only, which is exactly why that is what ends up happening.

If you disagree with this, its too little too late. You already had plenty of time since BG2 to communicate your desires for BG3 across a multitude of forums, and you never did until now. They already have listened to the fans for well over a decade and implemented what the vast majority have asked for over a very long period of time. While I am sure there are plenty of people that wanted the same thing that I initially did, none of them bothered to put their feedback where it could have mattered other than just whinging on any old gaming forum that 'they don't make games like they used to!'.

BG3 absolutely will sell, and likely much more than BG1&2 did because they have implemented what most DnD fans and PC gamers want, as opposed to trying to appeal to a tiny niche of players like me and you who just wanted more games just like BG1&2.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 08/10/20 10:15 AM.
mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Out of interest, has anyone defined what makes a game a DnD game? It can't be adherence to the rules, WotC seem to have abandoned strict adherence to the rule book, which is what a good DM would do anyway. I only wish that our DM in the late 70's had a voice like Larian's DM, but that was the voice of a bearded Scot.

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!
apprentice
apprentice
Personally I feel that to earn it's claim as sequel to the old games that the story and setting of BG3 has to be woven more in with the story and setting of BGI/II. But the Bhaalspawn saga doesn't need to be central piece of the story, but it should be part of the tapestry to make you feel like you inhabiting are in the same world albeit a century later. It would be cool if they could make a few secondary quests built upon the events of the previous Baldur's Gate games.

What I don't feel is that BG3 absolutely must be real-time with pause to be considered a proper sequel. D&D is turn-based game, and the combat of BG3 and DoS1/2 is more reflective of that than BG1 & 2 was, I've loved BG, IWD, and NWN games, and I would honestly prefer all of them a lot more if they were turn-based, since the combat and mechanics would function a lot more properly since it's mechanics is based of the various D&D rulesets, which again, are turn-based.

Having said that, I think it is vital that BG3 has it's own identity and that it doesn't bear too much a strong resemblance to the DoS games. Representing the 5e ruleset more faithfully might help in that direction.

Last edited by deserk; 08/10/20 10:35 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by alexawow2006

Pillars of Eternity saga is there for you. Im pretty confindent

Having said that, I think it is vital that BG3 has it's own identity and that it doesn't bear too much a strong resemblance to the DoS games. Representing the 5e ruleset more faithfully might help in that direction.

hear! hear!

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard