Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
endolex Offline OP
OP Offline
I can't seem to find Detect Magic + Identify spells. Magic items seem to be auto-identified, and sensing magic properties seems to be handled with an Arcana check. Any plans on implementing the spells proper? smile

D
D
It may be that it's not in yet, I remember them mentioning identifying items would be in the game.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by endolex
I can't seem to find Detect Magic + Identify spells. Magic items seem to be auto-identified, and sensing magic properties seems to be handled with an Arcana check. Any plans on implementing the spells proper? smile

I've never really understood the point of these things. It just feels like it's an extra click, so having things need to be "indentified" feels needlessly tedious to me.

veteran
veteran
Ritual casting doesn't seem to be in yet.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sky_Sweeper

I've never really understood the point of these things. It just feels like it's an extra click, so having things need to be "indentified" feels needlessly tedious to me.

Well. from an immersion point of view...your character finds a dusty old object in a chest in a dungeon. You can see that the object is a dagger. But it doesn't seem or feel like just any regular dagger, it's something special about it but what? Now a wizardly sage that has spent years studying old tomes about different matters all regarding magic but also history would directly recognize the dagger as being *insert unique name* where as someone less knowledgeable would have to examine it, study it, perhaps cross-reference it with a scroll about uncommon artifacts etc and that situation is expressed in d&d as the skill "lore" (which isn't used in 5e) and the spell identify

It's all about keeping the fantasy real man! :P

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 10/10/20 02:13 AM. Reason: spelling
enthusiast
enthusiast

Not quite. Party might not have arcane spellcaster for that, which would require them pay an NPC for identification.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Redwyrm

Not quite. Party might not have arcane spellcaster for that, which would require them pay an NPC for identification.

Identifying also adds some mystery to what the item may be. Specifically cursed items, were all over the place in the original BG's, and Table Top, it gives the game a sort of tension to item finds, that I personally love. Will I risk using this item for an edge in the next encounter despite not having identified it? Or is this potion safe to drink? Auto identify could also be a thing, where there is a passive ID roll that can happen if you have already identified an item like it.

stranger
stranger
Technically, you don't even need identify to "identify" an item.

On page 136 of the DMG.

"Alternatively, a character can focus on one magic item during a short rest, while being in physical contact with the item. At the end of the rest, the character learns the item's properties, as well as how to use them. Potions are an exception; a little taste is enough to tell the taster what the potion does."

Link Copied to Clipboard