Print Thread
#684282 09/10/20 05:52 PM
Z
Zaxtaj Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
I know that within 5e rules sneak attack is supposed to be for finesse weapons only, but I learned that the Rogue class currently in Alpha allows you to sneak attack with any proficient weapon. If you decide to play as a Githyanki you gain Greatsword Proficiency allowing you to sneak attack with a greatsword. Below is a gif I prepped showing my efforts.

[Linked Image]

I'm sure that many people hope that BG3 follows 5e rules closely, but I do enjoy being able to sneak attack with a variety of weapons.

Last edited by Zaxtaj; 09/10/20 06:07 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sigh. Why is it so hard to use the rules as they are written?

stranger
stranger
Yeah I made a post about this too lol.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Well to be fair to larian. Getting a suprise greatsword in your rear end is bound to do some damage 😂

Z
Zaxtaj Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Well to be fair to larian. Getting a suprise greatsword in your rear end is bound to do some damage 😂

No doubt, at level 3 that is 4d6 + other modifiers, it's gunna hurt lol

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

Sigh. Why is it so hard for players to understand what Early Access is for?

You do know that early access is to find and address these very issues? It is not for you to get a polished game with perfect implementation of 5e rules. Stop behaving like a self entitled brat and instead submit bug reports on the issues you find. And if you don't own the game yet then why post something that is neither constructive nor adds anything to the conversation? The game is by design meant to go through a year's worth of development at least still. That means we are not in a near finished beta polished stage. We are in a development phase that is what larian has told us publicly and what they have done in the past.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow, broken? Sheesh Larian... you got so much work ahead of you.

Last edited by WarBaby2; 09/10/20 06:35 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
kek! Im totally making a Githyanki rogue to derp around with this feature before its removed. laugh

Last edited by Skallewag; 09/10/20 06:23 PM.
D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Gothfather
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

Sigh. Why is it so hard for players to understand what Early Access is for?

You do know that early access is to find and address these very issues? It is not for you to get a polished game with perfect implementation of 5e rules. Stop behaving like a self entitled brat and instead submit bug reports on the issues you find. And if you don't own the game yet then why post something that is neither constructive nor adds anything to the conversation? The game is by design meant to go through a year's worth of development at least still. That means we are not in a near finished beta polished stage. We are in a development phase that is what larian has told us publicly and what they have done in the past.

Cant quote this enough though... its early acces. Their own estimation already told us they AT LEAST need another year to complete the game.

I get the frustration but if you want a finished product, early acces isent for you 😑

Z
Zaxtaj Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Skallewag
kek! Im totally making a Githyanki rogue to derp around with this feature before its removed. laugh

I thought it was pretty funny, but it is pretty powerful too, they also get medium armor so you only need 14 dex at most to get high AC early on, and you can even take the medium armor from the Githyanki companion who joins you at the begining.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zaxtaj

I thought it was pretty funny, but it is pretty powerful too, they also get medium armor so you only need 14 dex at most to get high AC early on, and you can even take the medium armor from the Githyanki companion who joins you at the begining.

Imagine if they gave her the magic silver sword she should have as a Githyanki... then again, you probably couldn't take that from her without killing her first. wink

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
So, this is how it used to be back in 3.5. You COULD sneak attack with a greatsword. That being said I understand why they made the change they did for 5e. Though come on let spears sneak attack!

Z
Zaxtaj Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Zilfer
So, this is how it used to be back in 3.5. You COULD sneak attack with a greatsword. That being said I understand why they made the change they did for 5e. Though come on let spears sneak attack!

Funny enough, I did find a spear in the game that gives you the effect of true strike when a you miss a creature in combat giving your next attack advantage. It very much feels like it's intended to be a rogue weapon but you have to wield it using strength because it's not finesse.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Zaxtaj

armor is taken right from 5th edition, and yeah unless your dex is bad heavy armor isn't great until you can finally get full plate

U
stranger
stranger
U
Well you actually do less damage using a greatsword over dualwielding anyway. Greatsword adds 3,5 damage over a short sword but you forgo one or even two offhand attacks leading to lower damage output in a situation where you can spend all your action points attacking.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
I have no problem with this. You should be able to sneak attack with anything you can make an attack roll with; making Sneak Attack only work with Light/Finesse weapons was a huge kick in the teeth to Fighter/Rogues and Rogue/Wizards.

Z
Zaxtaj Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by ultraulf
Well you actually do less damage using a greatsword over dualwielding anyway. Greatsword adds 3,5 damage over a short sword but you forgo one or even two offhand attacks leading to lower damage output in a situation where you can spend all your action points attacking.

True, the only thing is this allows rogues to get away with that may help with more damage is taking the Great Weapon Master feat at level 4 so they can have +10 damage and a chance to bonus action attack.

Last edited by Zaxtaj; 13/10/20 04:22 AM.
stranger
stranger
I really do not see a reason to arbitrarily limit what weapons can and cannot be used in a sneak attack. This is one of those types of rules I’ve never, ever followed in D&D, like how wearing any type of helmet used to give a hearing penalty, even if it should not in any way effect your hearing.

Saying “You can’t sneak attack with a strength weapon” is just an arbitrary ruling. I would be no less surprised if someone suddenly hit me with a great sword then I would be if they stabbed with a rapier.

That said, sneaking is far too easy right now, but that is a wholly different topic. I just do not see any point in adding extra complexity, and extra code, to handle something so minor. The only people who will care are the minority of players that even know about that rule in 5E, and for everyone else, it’s just an extra rule they have to learn that limits their choices. It just does not add anything.

Last edited by Panicintrinsica; 13/10/20 04:51 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Psst.. you don't even need proficiency in the weapon.

I love the way my rogue drags her greatsword along the ground behind her as she "sneaks up" on the enemy.

I'm sure this will get corrected though, it is a bit silly.

Z
Zaxtaj Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Muldeh
Psst.. you don't even need proficiency in the weapon.

I love the way my rogue drags her greatsword along the ground behind her as she "sneaks up" on the enemy.

I'm sure this will get corrected though, it is a bit silly.

I considered that may be the case, but I do like the +2 bonus to hit. I kinda want to test if you can use GWM without Prof as well for a total loss of -7 to hit lol.

Link Copied to Clipboard