Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Aaronfp Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
First, I'd like to express how grateful I am for being a part of this. This is the first early access game that I've been a part of where I clearly notice that the devs are working on incorporating player feedback and it rocks! I'm the first to admit that I haven't played many early access games before this though so that may not be saying much. Now one thing that is a blatant challenge for Larian Studios at this juncture is a customer base that is all over the place. Some players want a more hardcore D&D experience, while others like myself, aren't particularly attached to D&D rules, and may really like (myself included) the Divinity Original Sin feel that permeates this game. I loved the Baldur's Gate games as a kid and I love the Divinity Original Sin franchise probably even more, but this game takes it all to the next level. It feels like just the right mix of elements from both games. I say all this because I know that my suggestion may not be appreciated by more hardcore D&D fans and I'm completely ok with this post disappearing into the void if it doesn't get enough traction. Having already gone on way too long, here's my suggestion: I'd love to see a minor boost to the Half-Elf race. So far, having played many of the races, the Half-Elf feels just a little weaker than the rest. One of the staple characteristics of the High Half-Elf and Drow Half-Elf is access to the cantrip which at first glance seemed awesome to me... until I played more of the game and realized that cantrips are really weak and mostly just act as filler abilities if you don't have anything better. Again, please don't hate everyone, this is just my personal impression. I know that every race needs to be balanced so I'm not suggesting some crazy advantage, but I'd love to see that extra cantrip be upgraded to some basic low-level spell instead. Just something with a little more pezaz if you know what I mean. Also, it might help if the Wood Half-Elf got something similar. Even if the Wood Half-Elf isn't quite as magical, perhaps it could get a summon familiar or something like that? Heck, I wouldn't complain if you reduced the extra stat points from 2 to just 1 to balance things a little more if that was necessary. Just some of my own personal thoughts I wanted to share. Again, all-in-all this game makes all of 2020 worth living for me so thank you again Larian Studios for an awesome experience.

veteran
veteran
Have you by any chance taken a look at what special stuff the Human gets?

Half-Elves are ridiculously good already.

stranger
stranger
Just gonna say in 5e, Half-Elf is one of the stronger races ability wise, due to all the things it gets. The ability scores itself of +2 to Charisma and +1 to any two stats in itself is already pretty wild, and makes it a viable race for pretty much any build. The High Elf anscetry cantrip, is meant to be just a cantrip, because that's what the full High Elf race gets. The Wood Elf Half Elf get's stealth profficency, and more movement speed, same as a normal Wood Elf, just like how it is in normal 5e.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Dont know if you play dnd outside of baldurs gate but cantrips scale with level. They are weak early on, but they will gets stronger later on. Also none have matieral component costs and can be cost at will. Those later 2 points are already VERY good compared to some other spells that require actual spell slots.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Half-elves are among the best of races in D&D 5E, and are solid in BG3 as well. I am not sure you are valuing what they bring to the table correctly.

Link Copied to Clipboard