Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mithril Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I will do my best to explain this buggy cheese mode for exploiting battles. I don't provide this information so others can use these methods, but bring attention to a game breaking issue. I think its best shown through video so I provided some links. I believe its expected that Early Access games will have some interesting issues. One of the fun things about playing EA games is finding something strange and seeing it get fixed over the course of development.

There are several ways to cheese a battle and I will attempt to explain one of them. Often the harder/boss encounters have dialog. If the party is unchained (split, not following one another) one party member can attack an enemy and be forced into a dialog, I can select a different character with the F1-4 keys. This newly selected character can be moved around and attack enemies as well, making another dialog. Another party member can come and kill the enemy in the dialog pop up and get the orignal party member out of dialog/combat. This can be chained to eliminate several enemies before there are any consequences. I was able to kill the Goblin Priestess without her being able to perform a single action. In one instance I was able to use the Wizard to attack the priestess over and over.

Party spliting, turn-based mode, and swapping to another character can be used for a number of cheesy buggy things. I recall having several moments I was able to bypass or do something unintended but forgot to note what I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18auBmvGUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os3Nh6mdGIY

apprentice
apprentice
I killed the goblin priestess in the exact same way xD

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Icky.
I don't usually try to exploit things that badly, unless I'm being paid to Beta something smile
Should be a fairly simple fix, anyone involved in Dialog drops it upon fights that would normally involve them.

addict
addict
Good call. It is the time to reveal those exploits.

Last edited by Baraz; 11/10/20 12:50 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Loki the Cat

Should be a fairly simple fix, anyone involved in Dialog drops it upon fights that would normally involve them.

Two thoughts for fixes.
1. Disable character switching during dialog.
2. When one character enters dialog, the entire party is pulled into dialog as well.
3. Prematurely end dialog when receiving damage.

veteran
veteran
These same exploits were in the past Larian titles and they aren't there by accident but almost by design.

Frankly I don't think are a big deal or particularly worse than the BG "rogue scouting" exploit to cheese fights.
I don't like to use them, I find them more tedious to put in practice than just playing normally (same as going back to camp and rest after every single fight), but hey, if some people want to go out of their way to cheese this shit, I'm not going to cry rivers over it.

Originally Posted by Denzla
I killed the goblin priestess in the exact same way xD

Conversely I just talked to her and then killed her alone in her room when she summoned me there to have a private chat.

Talk about people making life harder for themselves while trying to be clever, haha.

Last edited by Tuco; 11/10/20 01:06 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
that exploit existed in DOS1, with Braccus Rex

Link Copied to Clipboard