Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#689578 12/10/20 12:07 AM
OP Offline
I defeat some goblins and in the back room there are loads of chests and baskets. One by one I spend a few turns clicking on these baskets to see if there is anything in them in this little room. 2 or 3 have some contents. The rest are empty. I feel like those minutes of my life were moronic.

Couldn't there be a "click room" to open all the caskets in one go? If I felt like it, I could then go on to investigate in the hope of finding secret caskets or trap doors or something like that.

It is idiotic. If you don't save afterwards, you might then have to do the same thing all over again.

addict
addict
Or do an investigation check of the room and collect everything based on that roll? Would make it easy. Obv i can see people not being too happy if they roll a 1, RIP.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades
Or do an investigation check of the room and collect everything based on that roll? Would make it easy. Obv i can see people not being too happy if they roll a 1, RIP.

Thats an interesting idea, its how you roll it in D&D. The loot that corresponds to your search magically appears.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
OP Offline
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades

Yes, that "Room Investigation" would be good, and it could be arranged so that incremental amounts of stuff is revealed, depending on your die roll. For example:

No Investigation: Nothing
01-05 Gold in 2 chests
06-10 Above plus secret panel revealed
11-20 Above plus mysterious paperwork

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
They just need to remove some of the containers, or simply make them unable to be interacted with. I get that it looks nicer and feels more realistic if you go into a storage room and it's packed full of containers, that makes sense. But then when most of those containers are empty or just contain useless junk, it suddenly feels less like a storage room and more like a hoarders house. The roll idea does sound great though, and would make finding the stupid amount of magical scrolls I have so far maybe feel like I actually did something for them. If I rolled really good and found a scroll, it would be good luck, whereas currently it's just that Larian really really likes handing out magic items and scrolls.

Last edited by Pupito; 12/10/20 12:19 AM.
addict
addict
I've said it before, but I think the simple yet effective solution would be akin to Skyrim's. Show the "empty" status when highlighting a container. "Barrel (empty)". That way you can quickly assess which containers are worth searching. At the same time, the containers are still containers and it avoids the problem of "ok, I can SEE the chest, why can't I put anything in it???". (Granted, it's not a big problem, but personally I like when game world objects are consistent.)

In addition, concentrate the loot a bit, so among 20 barrels you have one with 20 gold and another with 10 gold and a cheese wheel rather than 15 barrels of 2 golds each.

The roll idea sounds interesting, but I'm not particularly keen on further increasing the role of RNGesus in the game. I'm quite allergic to random loot, personally.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I've never understood RPG's obsession with putting a billion crates everywhere with 2 gold in them. It detracts a lot from the experience. A single chest at the end of the questline with a significant amount of gold and items, along with some hidden caches here and there, is much better.

I open a apothecary basement and there was a lot of shelfs with vial cases and there was nothing to pick from them.

T
stranger
stranger
T
While the empty to full ratio of containers is debatable the general concept is sound, in my opinion at least. Checking those containers isn't mandatory at all but if you want more food (which you probably want) you'll get that at a decent frequency and ocasionally you might be rewarded with something nice on top of it.
There is also some logic to it. You'll find more food in containers in kitchens and storage rooms and you'll find high value stuff in 'treasure hode' like locations.

I jsut collect everythign because reciptes for poisons are sick.

Link Copied to Clipboard