Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#691650 12/10/20 06:26 PM
Sharp Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
As per the thread title, gold in this game as it currently stands feels almost redundant. Its easy to accumulate lots of it and there is very little to spend it on. This is a problem present in lots of more modern games, which was done much better in older games. In my opinion, there should be 1 or 2 really good items sold by vendors, which also cost a huge amount of gold relative to the amount of gold you have. For example, a +2 weapon being sold for 5,000 - 10,000 gold. This gives the player something to spend gold on, makes the currency a lot less seemingly useless and gives the player something to "look forward to."

journeyman
journeyman
I think I used three vendors, once each. 2 are dead and I'm pretty sure the third will try to kill me if it sees me. I think I have around 800 gold after 18 hours and my party is level 4.

I haven't felt much like I need money yet.

M
M
Gold is cheap in BG3 at the moment, but then again, we haven't seen vendors with much to offer - plate armor for instance is normally considering a luxury at level 4 due to its' high cost in table top and learning new spells as a wizard is costly. I'm at 30.000+ after having completing the available content and I have not bought anything as nothing seemed to be necessary. I hope they scale down the options to make large sums, especially from selling used weapons, armor and such.

Oh and I should add that spell components seem to have disappeared entirely, removing one of the largest gold dumps in the D&D system. For those who don't roll dice, a lot of the more powerful spells in D&D such as Revivify (which is now a scroll for some reason) requires the "sacrifice" of a 300 gold piece diamond.

Last edited by Mxiio; 12/10/20 06:51 PM.
Who needs gold, just pickpocket the traders.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I dunno... the druid vendor has several items I spent gold to acquire. Then again - I am not that far into it I don't think.

If I remember correctly plate armos cost 900 gold in BG 1. And it was realyl expensive in early game.

Sharp Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mxiio
Gold is cheap in BG3 at the moment, but then again, we haven't seen vendors with much to offer - plate armor for instance is normally considering a luxury at level 4 due to its' high cost in table top and learning new spells as a wizard is costly. I'm at 30.000+ after having completing the available content and I have not bought anything as nothing seemed to be necessary. I hope they scale down the options to make large sums, especially from selling used weapons, armor and such.

Oh and I should add that spell components seem to have disappeared entirely, removing one of the largest gold dumps in the D&D system. For those who don't roll dice, a lot of the more powerful spells in D&D such as Revivify (which is now a scroll for some reason) requires the "sacrifice" of a 300 gold piece diamond.

Pretty much this. In Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, or games like Dragon Age Origins, gold felt valuable and retained value for a long time. The adventurers mart sold many powerful items at an exceptionally high price, so the player was saving up to purchase them. This game is obviously more similar in scope to BG 1 than BG 2 considering its a lower level campaign, but regardless of this there should be items which hold some value. It gives the player something to look forward to spending gold on. The only item I bought during the entire EA was the Amulet sold by the shop in the underdark which added 1d4+1 psychic damage to each missile on magic missiles and in my opinion, while the item was very good, its price should have reflected that and being priced at something more along the lines of 10,000+ gold.

Last edited by Sharp; 12/10/20 07:20 PM.
stranger
stranger
Yeah it's kinda funny, you can pay to revive dead character's at your camp for 200 gp apiece, but the cheapest revive spell generally costs 300 gp in 5e....

enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly I think it time to move beyond the whole trash items / vendor system and come up with something fresh and interesting. Gold only has value in our pen and paper games because we use various down time activity and no idea how those could be added to a CRPG. That all our DM adjudicating that, would be a nightmare to code.

I would be happy to all the busywork parts of CRPG was just removed and the Developers would focus on more fun stuff. All most people want is meaningful loot so maybe after each quest have a list of rewards and we get to pick an item we want. Toss in some scroll and potions and I would be happy.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by flyboy323
Yeah it's kinda funny, you can pay to revive dead character's at your camp for 200 gp apiece, but the cheapest revive spell generally costs 300 gp in 5e....

Just pay him the money and pick pocket it back and also take the resurrection scrolls he carries

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
B
stranger
stranger
B
Gold doesn't really make sense in any fantasy games.

I have to admit that the fantasy capitalism in BG3 so far has been quite unsatisfying since two of the shops that I've come across in my first play fucked off semi-unexpectedly before I could afford anything they had to sell... I'm not really sure how much of an impact charisma has on bartering but not much.

Generally the process of looting, tidying your inventory, assigning to your hotbar is a tedious mess at the moment. It needs a lot of polish. I get the sense that there are some items in the game which are meant to be useful but aren't yet... like rope, and empty bottles. At the moment the shop is necessary as a means to de-clutter your inventories. It's kind of annoying to go from having no money to buy the things you need, to, after completing one particular quest, having lots of money and no shops to buy them in.

It's a quibble really... I'm sure there are plenty of shops in acts 2&3.

Link Copied to Clipboard