Print Thread
T
Trypse Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Hello,

I understand the need of Larian to customize a little the D&D experience according to their taste, it's ok and diverse. There is an issue tho when you mess with the rules of a very refined edition of the most famous RPG on earth, you risk to compromize balance.
The biggest issue which in my opinion is almost a deal breaker on the long term, is copy and paste of the barrels mechanic from Divinity Original Sin 2.

In D&D, and many other pen and paper RPGs, the core of the game is your character (his class, statistics, personality and the choices you take when you level up, prepared spells, etc).
The fact that the game is so pupulated of explosive barrels, acid barrels, flaming surfaces, etc, it's game breaker. It doesn't matter anymore what's your class, where you spent your points, what spells you prepared, all that matters is: "how many barrels I have and how can I make them explode in order to defeat the enemies?"
All tools that can be used to make the combat more diverse are welcome, but the character and its choices must be at the center of the game.

Another issue I have directly connected with the previous higher level issue, is that the splashes are way too big, they last ethernally and the characters, even when the combat is done, keep walking on them at any minimal movement of any other party member. I think that at least out of combat, the autopathing of the party members shoud automatically avoid the splashes, and those should at some point disappear.

At last the UI for spellcasting should be completely revamped. There should be a small openable window (not full screen) in which all yout spells (subdivided by level) are visible, and the ones you prepared are colored (or something similar). As it is right now, it's really not good.

These are just my personal opinions, hopefully my feedback can help more people enjoy the game.
cheers!

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I really don't get the issue - this is not a competitive game, you don't need to use barrels if you don't want to. Just like you didn't need to use them in DOS games.

old hand
old hand
I agree though; way too many barrels and environmental effects.

T
Trypse Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
There is an issue when the barrels explode even if you are not planning to use them, then the combat area is compromized, or your party gets wiped out. Or when you realize you can put 1 barrel in your inventory... it's game breaking, and I believe some encounters are meant to be won in that way. It's also immersion breaking... why there would be all these barrels everywhere and who puts them there? laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
I found in the Goblin Camp 6 Barrels of Smokepowder and 7 Barrels of Firewine.

From lore about the Forgotten Realms "Following the destruction of Lantan during the Spellplague, many artificers considered the secrets behind smokepowder to have been lost.[5]" Looks like our goblins are brighter then we thought.

Also 20 pound barrels would be small kegs, not the size of the barrels we have. At that size an empty barrel weight 110 pounds so a full one would be around 500 pounds and should not be easily moved, much less carring a dozen of them.

Make Barrels unmovable if you need the exploding barrels for set pieces and please make them rare.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
I found in the Goblin Camp 6 Barrels of Smokepowder and 7 Barrels of Firewine.

From lore about the Forgotten Realms "Following the destruction of Lantan during the Spellplague, many artificers considered the secrets behind smokepowder to have been lost.[5]" Looks like our goblins are brighter then we thought.

There is a reason for it
you can talk to the Zhentarim vendor in the camp that tells you they sold the powder to goblins.

Last edited by Eugerome; 14/10/20 09:07 PM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
To me the most relevant problem with explosives seems to be that NPCs mostly ignore them.

So the Goblins purchased very expensive explosives but they do not react to all the barrels missing prior to their assault on the Druids. Then they happily stand right next to their own explosive barrels and wait to be blasted into the sky.

Solutions:
Reduce the number of explosive barrels or increase their weight considerably.
Make NPCs position themselves away from suspicious barrels. This should be pretty easy to implement as a perception check when an item on the "explosive" list is within a given distance

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
B
stranger
stranger
B
I would love to see your solution implemented. I would love to see people occasionally react to empty barrels

enthusiast
enthusiast
Damned Goblins and their TNT Smuggling Deals. They must have a very skilled supplier. I wonder why they haven't exploded the whole Tiefling Camp Gate yet?

Last edited by JDCrenton; 14/10/20 11:57 PM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Considering that

the Goblins payed a lot of money for the gunpower it is somewhat strange that they do not use it. There should be a quest to investigate the purpose of it. If they did not intend to use it for the druid attack then what did they buy it for.
Or ist there such a quest and I missed it?

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Damned Goblins and their TNT Smuggling Deals. They must have a very skilled supplier. I wonder why they haven't exploded the whole Tiefling Camp Gate yet?

They don't even find where the druid grove is (that was when I visit to goblin camp and killed them all).

Link Copied to Clipboard