Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
addict
OP Offline
addict
270+ hrs played. Tried all class/subclass combos. Many specific combos like STR Ranger vs DEX ranger, same w/ Wiz, Cleric, etc. You might think that it would be tedious. However the number of choices and their consequences are mind-boggling, and because of that there are some bugs that creep up when things aren't in a particular order. Overall though, just the number of outcomes of your interactions with 3 characters is unbelievable. Kagha, Zevlor and Minartha. SOOO many outcomes.

I have seen complaints of dialog not mattering. Sometimes the outcome IS fixed, however, the different choices allow you to role-play your character. Others though...many people have no clue. They just assume. Well after 270+ hours I am here to tell you it is astonishing.

Sometimes it's the little things.

I have stumbled across the stranded fishers digging for the dude's daughter more times than I can count. Sometimes due to dialog choices they all live, sometimes they all die, sometimes some die and some are spared. In every case, I have either smashed the mindflayer's skull or left him to die. Today through the right (or wrong lol) set of dialog choices, I healed it to full health and it wiped my party! WTF! I was laughing so hard!

The Ruins/Chaple/Crypt...there are at least 4 different ways to gain entry. Could have simply been 1.

Thank you Larian for building so much replay into Act 1, Cant wait to see the completed game.

Last edited by RumRunner151; 01/11/20 11:07 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I like seeing some positivity here in the forums smile

addict
addict
+1 OP - im in my second playthrough & thats what im enjoying the most - even the environmental stuff - like my main getting flattened by a boulder trap second time around & my mage bringing down a bridge with a firebolt spell - i shot it by accident trying to kill the goblin sitting on it - got him in the end though ....loving it.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I totally agree.

The game so far is very promising. I have lost count on how many characters I have started to test out things.
Did you know that if you are a Shar Cleric, then you can't read the poem to open the chest in the Owlbear cave?
Or did you know that a Drow can't get into a squabble with Crusher?

There's so many amazing details in this game, so many paths you can take. There's things I want them to improve on, be more attuned to 5e rules, but if they just improved the buggs and shipped the game as is, it would still be an amazing game to play. It wouldn't be the best it can be, but it would be a great RPG.

Seems many people forget this, or are too blinded by their expectations of what they wanted, and didn't get, to realize how detailed the game actually is.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree there are a lot of choices; probably the worst take I've seen on this server was "well the snake killed the girl so as a good guy i was forced to kill all the druids. I can't believe that was the only come for failing the check!" I can't believe that people are still so binary on Good and evil when it's way more nuanced than that.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Popsculpture
I agree there are a lot of choices; probably the worst take I've seen on this server was "well the snake killed the girl so as a good guy i was forced to kill all the druids. I can't believe that was the only come for failing the check!" I can't believe that people are still so binary on Good and evil when it's way more nuanced than that.

I know right? People blaming the game for their own decisions after the fact, is a bit silly. Not to mention you are presented with another "good" solution to the Druids: Find Halsin.
If you go poking around you can also find clues on how to take down Kagha without killing all the Druids.

So many people seem to think that rolling and failing means they are forced to do something. Usually it forces an outcome we might not like, but how we react after that tends to have options.

veteran
veteran
There is some replay value, nothing in the scale of something like Dao or og BG as of yet, but it's a good start

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Abits
There is some replay value, nothing in the scale of something like Dao or og BG as of yet, but it's a good start

Um, you know people have put 200+ hours into this game already? I don't really see how it's "not in the scale" of BG? What do you base that on?

veteran
veteran
Without watching these 200+ hours I can't say for certain one way or the other. There is more than one reason to invest 200+ hours in a game. That doesn't prove anything

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
Without watching these 200+ hours I can't say for certain one way or the other. There is more than one reason to invest 200+ hours in a game. That doesn't prove anything

To continue your logic, it also does not not prove nothing.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Orbax

To continue your logic, it also does not not prove nothing.

Right but I wasn't trying to prove anything, I simply say I don't think the game's replay value is as high as other games, and to add extra cherry on top I also said "right now"= maybe the full game will. What's the problem?

journeyman
journeyman
It's undeniable the game gives you a lot of choices leading to different paths/events, this makes the game replayable because it's likely people will want to play again and experience what they've missed the first time they played the game. I've completed the BG trilogy (yes because ToB is more than a simple expansion) at least 10 times so for me it's surely replayable but I also have to admit there was not the same amount of different paths possible backed into those games (BG2 is better in this respect than BG1 ofc).

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Yeah, really surprised by the amount of content I missed between playthroughs. And this is just the starting area. Considering there should be 2 ways to progress out of it then the replay value will increase further. And more companions? They are really promising a lot of content with BG3.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Eugerome
Yeah, really surprised by the amount of content I missed between playthroughs. And this is just the starting area. Considering there should be 2 ways to progress out of it then the replay value will increase further. And more companions? They are really promising a lot of content with BG3.

There are still things I saw on YouTube that I haven't seen in-game.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Rather than create a new thread I am bumping this with new content:

I'm at 410 hrs. Yes, I have no life. Yes, I am a BG3 Kool-Aid drinker. Call me a fanboi. it's cool. I have done countless run-throughs. I have tried countless dialog and plot options. Yet again today I saw a whole new minor plot point that I had never seen before just because I did a couple of minor things in a different order.

I really feel sorry for the one and done crowd. Just take a Cleric. While there may be no major plot shifts, there will be a ton of dialog options that are different depending on your chosen deity, especially if Selune, Shar, Tyr, or Lolth. Add to that the different dialog choices based on race, especially Githyanki, Drow, and Dwarf. It's simply astounding to think of how much thought, time, resources, etc. went into simple dialog options, let alone the variety of major and minor plot points.

Thank you Larian and keep it coming. You had me at hello. LoL.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

I'm at 410 hrs. Yes, I have no life. Yes, I am a BG3 Kool-Aid drinker. Call me a fanboi. it's cool. I have done countless run-throughs. I have tried countless dialog and plot options. Yet again today I saw a whole new minor plot point that I had never seen before just because I did a couple of minor things in a different order.

I really feel sorry for the one and done crowd. Just take a Cleric. While there may be no major plot shifts, there will be a ton of dialog options that are different depending on your chosen deity, especially if Selune, Shar, Tyr, or Lolth. Add to that the different dialog choices based on race, especially Githyanki, Drow, and Dwarf. It's simply astounding to think of how much thought, time, resources, etc. went into simple dialog options, let alone the variety of major and minor plot points.

So much this.

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
Banned
Banned

Not gonna lie, i thought i had it bad with my 2 playthroughs

enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree, I'd like to see random encounters tho to spice things up.
Some enemy patrols around the map or something, random animal/ monster attacks etc.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Svalr
I agree, I'd like to see random encounters tho to spice things up.
Some enemy patrols around the map or something, random animal/ monster attacks etc.

Purely random encounters like while camping would be ok. And while there are kind of patrols in the Goblin Camp, I would love to see more.

old hand
old hand

I'm at 410 hrs.

Holy shit, Rum. That's respectable! I've only played 152 hours, I feel like a nublet compared to you. In fairness, I probably spend more time watching people play the game, and on the forums about the game, than actually playing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard