Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
EDIT : yes, this is only an option after you told her where the grove is...
Second screenshot ... yes, but first one is before.
You want proof? Read 3rd (or 4th) dialogue option. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/11/21 02:55 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
M
addict
addict
M
Had to log in just to say I love the list, and agree with most items (especially the UI and DOS-legacy "Surface" (bleagh) issues are +1000000000 for me). Thank you for taking the time to compile this - here's hoping Larian sees this very popular writeup and acts on the issues to make BG3 so much better!

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
EDIT : yes, this is only an option after you told her where the grove is...
Second screenshot ... yes, but first one is before.
You want proof? Read 3rd (or 4th) dialogue option. wink

I just tried 6 times and never had those options and dialogs lines. A drow thing, maybe

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
3.2 Surfaces should always trigger a saving throw at every turn to avoid damages (not to insta break concentration and insta deal damages).
Feel free to corect me, this is serious question ...
But shouldnt succesfull saving throw only halven the damage you get (unless you have Evasion) ?

I mean it works that way for every AoE spell i know, so ... it would make sence to use same rules for Larian AoE, no?

Yes, maybe.
We don't have enough details about the concentration mechanic in BG3 to find a good balance imo.

On the other hand, if they allowed us to target the ground with spells...
Firebolt on a target = 1 to 8 damages
Firebolt on the ground = 1 to 4 damages (1-2 with a sucessfull ST) + a possible condition that add another 1D4 damage/turn.

Is that balance ? I don't know. We don't have more details about "surfaces conditions" (burning).[quote]
It's important that attacks/spells that normally deal 0 damage on a miss, in this surface-change, deal 0 damage on a passed ST. Exactly because of the Concentration mechanic of keeping spells going. Keeping up concentration is a big part of spellcasting classes, and sources of guaranteed damage mess with this because they result in a concentration check.

Your "firebolt on the ground" example would deal a guaranteed 1-2 damage (prompting a concentration check) and then a possible additional concentration check each turn. This is much more powerful than a single "concentration check if the attack hits," and unduly punishes spellcasting classes.

Maaaaybe it'd be okay for leveled spells to cause automatic damage as a surface because you're still spending a valuable spell slot to do so. But at the very least cantrips should not.

veteran
veteran
I just tried 6 times and never had those options and dialogs lines. A drow thing, maybe
Im pretty sure i have seen them with my Tiefling aswell. laugh
Sadly i only created Drow and Half-Drow this patch ... :-/

Can you upload me your save somewhere? laugh
I would like to try it with your character. laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
It's important that attacks/spells that normally deal 0 damage on a miss, in this surface-change, deal 0 damage on a passed ST. Exactly because of the Concentration mechanic of keeping spells going. Keeping up concentration is a big part of spellcasting classes, and sources of guaranteed damage mess with this because they result in a concentration check.

Your "firebolt on the ground" example would deal a guaranteed 1-2 damage (prompting a concentration check) and then a possible additional concentration check each turn. This is much more powerful than a single "concentration check if the attack hits," and unduly punishes spellcasting classes.

Maaaaybe it'd be okay for leveled spells to cause automatic damage as a surface because you're still spending a valuable spell slot to do so. But at the very least cantrips should not.
I believe you mean direct attack ...
Since Shatter, Thunderwave, Burning Hands, ... those are if i dont forget any all AoE spells ... and they all have granted damage, since on succesfull Saving Throw they still give half damage.

But i get what are you talking about, you pracicaly dont even care about damage ... concentration is the point here.
Prehaps we should look a little deeper for this.
WHAT IF! And i admit im not quite sure how hard this would be to implement ...
Saving Throw for Concentration would not be triggered by recediving damage ... but by action (or hostile bonus action ofcourse) of your enemies?

I mean ...
If concentration saving throw would be triggered by action (or BA) ... you would get single concentration roll per spell/attack used against you ... no matter how many other rounds it will give you damage.
That way it would still have its uses to do AoE attacks, since you can hit more enemies and lets face it 2d4 is better than 1d8 ... yet spellcasters would not be punished. smile

Now when i think about it ... it would be easier to tie it to attack roll (whenever sucesfull attack roll is made against you, you have to roll concentration) ...
With spells like Magic Arrows, and Shatter would force it as part of their own code (like hit target for 1d4 AND force it to roll concentration if possible)

//Edit:
Or simplier way ...
Every time an "Effect" cause you to roll concentration, you get autosucess for next round from the same effect.
Aka: Burning AoE >> Concentration roll ... 2nd round >> Autosucess from this source

//2. Edit:
It just hit me ... when you say that cantrips should not give AoE ...
I suggested that spell should sacrifice single damage die to add AoE effect to its attack ... just as Chromatic Orb do now (maybe i expressed myself poorly again) ...
That automaticly exclude cantrips, since they only have single dice ... i thought its obvious that only spells that give 2dX and more could do that. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/11/21 06:03 PM.

stranger
stranger
[spoiler]
1- COMBATS
1.1 Shove has to become an action
1.2 Hide has to become an action
1.3 The ready action should be implemented
1.4 The dodge action should be implemented

Yes to all of these. These are some of the main points for me that need to be addressed. As far as combat goes.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Time to up this thread that will be updated after my patch 7 playtrough.

Just a few ideas I write not to forget them...

Spells icons : a different color for each school - something to see fast if the spell is abjuration / evocation and so on... (i.e when you level up with Gayle, have to check all spells and eventually sort them manually in the hotbar)
Shove : have to do a video or something to show how it's used all the time in the game by the ennemies (to push, to disengage, to wake up ennemies... See it at lot already and I have only reached the grove)
(mini)Map : an option to enable/disable the pathes. I don't really want to game to tell me where I can walk and where I can't. That's a part of exploration and it looks "cheap". Allow me to play with a beatifull map in a beautifull world.
Hotbar : the reactions should always be seen. My barbarian's hotbar is bigger than Shadow's one even if he have less things on it. Not possible to manually expend it anymore ? Separate the basic actions/bonus actions was very good but they removed it, which is sad. Lock them on the left of the bar could be a solution.
Combat bonus informations : where is the popup that tells you when you have advantage or various bonuses/maluses when you attack ? (the thing that was on the left before). Not sure it's there anymore.
Camera : let us see up and down when we click the mouse wheel button (not only right and left + zoom / dezoom with the wheel)

Jump : jumping still allow you to move further. Jump jump jump to your optimise your moves.
Throw healing potions : still there, still used a lot by the ennemy... still ridiculous and it still devalue a lot healing spells/features.

Not sure it was written, but the arc of arrows/shove/throw should be changed (see the other thread).

Have to check a bit more the new throwing thing but it looks incredibly too powerfull (damages, range,...)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 16/02/22 07:13 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard