Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by Raito
Hmmm Lightning, what underwater kingdom? I completely don't recall anything. smile

Me neither and Lightning why did you adress that to me?
Don't want to be rude but i don't understand smile

addict
addict
I think he means the underwater kingdom (which may have been Atlantis) told about in the tale of Shrimpo in DD.

journeyman
journeyman
Since the 3rd video shows the dragon transformation, it got me thinking about how flying creatures are usually handled in games. As in this case, it seems that flying creatures have a natural tendency to hover. Is it going to be the case that this ability to hover is reasoned away as being magical (after all, it's fantasy and that's okay)? I'm curious because it would be great if flight one day would be treated in a more natural manner with required landings instead of hovering.

Not that it matters. Dragon transformation is going to be cool enough as it is. wink

veteran
veteran
...Watching the movies...
end...

Runs of to get a towel to clean up his drowling mess...

Waw, looks quite promessing.
Paladin Jolie as a dragon !!!!
I'm starting to lose my good rep wink
Just hope i don't need to buy a new computer to play it, since i just bought one.

Joliekiller, paladin on a crusade against (almost) all evil.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Freaker, First paragraph was to you. Rest was 'in general' actually.

As for the underwater kingdom, it was Atlantis, it was when Shrimpo was killed after you read all the graves in the correct order. It's something I've been wanting to see since Divinity.

Last edited by Macbeth; 24/08/08 06:16 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
P
stranger
stranger
P
The presentation was a very good one and I had the pleasure of talking to Sven himself about the game. I am truly looking forward to Divinity 2: Ego Draconis and have written a preview about the game at Eurogamer Benelux. Everybody who can read Dutch can check out the preview.

Good work Larian, good work!

old hand
old hand
Hi all,

Thanks for putting the videos online Xanlosch ! It's kinda funny to see myself but I'm glad that people who weren't at Leipzig get a chance to see the presentation.

Quick answers to the questions I've seen posted here:

Jumping/running - it's up to you if you jump or not, but personally, I like to jump a lot. I hate being blocked by something stupid as a fence and love the feeling of freedom it gives you to navigate the world. And yes, you can go to walk mode. The always run button was on to make the presentation move ahead.

View: On PC, it's possible to bring the camera in isometric view.

GUI: Work in progress. I knew it was a bad idea to show it, but that was the only way I was going to be able to read that letter.

Mindreading: It's a skill but I have to add that we're still debating the exact mechanics internally,

Cheers

Lar

addict
addict
On PC, it's possible to bring the camera in isometric view.

Awesome up
Now I can sleep grin

Originally Posted by Lar_q
Jumping/running - it's up to you if you jump or not, but personally, I like to jump a lot. I hate being blocked by something stupid as a fence and love the feeling of freedom it gives you to navigate the world. And yes, you can go to walk mode. The always run button was on to make the presentation move ahead.

I also like the ability to jump, cause i agree it's stupid when having to go around a little fence like your to dumb to get over it. It's just the way he jumps that's a little silly, but like i said before i can't think of a better jump myself. I would say realistic but that's easy to say, probally alot more difficult to make.

Ah very nice indeed!
I think it woulnd be a bad idea to be able to determine the zooming level with the mouse scroll in isometric. Some people like it zoomed out far, others close up and some in between. smile

veteran
veteran
I hope that the wearers of the legendary helmet of tinfoil are protected against the mind read skill :p

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
P
stranger
stranger
P
Wait, you mean that we can switch between isometric and, um, 3rd person view? That'd be awesome, like playing in isometric just to be comfortable with it and then switching to 3rd person to enjoy the landscapes and the battles and the like... yeah, that definitely sounds awesome.

"The attack came at the breaking of the dawn, the sky was turning from a pitch black shroud into a shimmering canopy of red and orange, the clouds were just hinting at the night’s final death knell."
stranger
stranger
I wanna say, I love how when you talk to an NPC the camera angle changes from time to time like a movie might during a conversation. Its a really nice touch.

Q
stranger
stranger
Q
Its great to hear about the isometric camera! Is the whole game playable this way? That is to say can you use the isometric view inside buildings and in dungeons?

Is the movement with WASD keys only, or can you move by clicking on a spot with the mouse?

journeyman
journeyman
Hi all,

Wonderful news! I'll never choose another view if a zoomed out isometric top-down sort of view is available. Thanks for the info.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Quick answers to the questions I've seen posted here:

My questions/concerns were not about jumping. But it is the animation the character uses with jumping. I love to jump in games myself (Drakan, Zelda, Castlevania, etc) and was always annoyed that characters couldn't just hop over fences like in Divinity. My concern is about the character doing a flip for each jump (reminds me of sonic the hedgehog). It is just too annoying to constantly see the main character doing a flip in the air, especially with heavy armor and a 2 handed sword strapped on his back (or being weilded).

It is nice to jump over stuff, but why do a jump and flip to hop over a twig?

And I know Link does a back flip... I learned to play the game not using the back flip as it looks really stupid with a sword and shield. Sonic games are not bad, just this isn't suppose to be sonic, this is suppose to be warriors and dragons.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
addict
addict
Well... why not just let the guy take a "wider step" to skip over a twig or something that isn't too large?

veteran
veteran
I am thinking more of jumping the fence instead of walking around to find the gate.

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
addict
addict
Is the movement with WASD keys only, or can you move by clicking on a spot with the mouse?

I think it's implied that an isometric view has mouse-driven movement. Kinda defeats the purpose of having that camera view if the movement is still WASD. wink

old hand
old hand
I have to weigh my words here wink Let me explain how PC controls currently are (and how they will stay unless playtesting shows us it's a bad idea):

You control the camera using FPS controls and move with the WASD keys - that means there's no mouse cursor on screen. The mouse cursor pops up whenever necessary, e.g. when you access your inventory or quickmappings. When you move the mouse backwards, the game zooms out to a top down view, when you move the mouse forward, the game zooms to a behind the character view (as you see in the screenshots). Left/right turns the camera.

This system works surprisingly well and allows you to quickly swap between what you could call tactical view (top view) and immersive view (behind the character). So when I said isometric, I actually meant the view just before you get into full top view. It might sound confusing but it's a lot harder to explain in text than it is when you control it.

That said, we still have to go through or playtests, so anything I write here might be erased by the feedback we'll get from the testers.

veteran
veteran
huh... odd to say the least.

WASD movement is pretty standard, the camera movement on the mouse seems... fiddly, I mean it would adjust the camera whenever I move the mouse a little.

I've expected WASD (AD = strafing) and mouse left/right = pivoting. up/down tilting.
Camera pivoting would be a combo of button+mouse left/right.

I don't know, playtesting might prove it to be an excellent system. Tho Its standardly been done differently for a solid reason I guess.

in the end it remains to be seen.

It's one of these days...
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard