Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Raze

But if it's not possible to import savegames then I will have to restart everything from scratch

At least with D2:ED + FoV you can start a new level 35 character to begin at the FoV section. It is possible DKS may have an option to start at that point, as well (nothing mentioned officially either way).

Well, that could do the trick, but only if the new character is given all the best armors/weapons which could be gathered in the game. Otherwise a lot of work (finding the 3 sets in the fortresses was a half nighmare for me) would be lost.

Last edited by kache; 22/09/10 09:47 PM.

Ipsa scientia potestas est.
old hand
old hand
Been a while since we've heard from Lar, are there any discussions on if there will be a FoV to DKS patch or do PC owners have to buy DKS to experience the fully remastered version?

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Flames of Vengeance retroactively applies many changes which are introduced in DKS also to Ego Draconis. Most engine changes for instance are immediately present in Ego Draconis. To maintain compatibility with existing savegames however, there are a number of things which aren't changed when you install FOV. These are:

Enemy placement and balancing (massive overhaul)
Loot and set-items (complete overhaul)
Story and scripting changes (e.g. in DKS flying fortress gameplay is very different to ED)
Art changes in Ego Draconis (though you do get the advantage of better lighting & shading)

In general, if you played or finished Ego Draconis and don't want to start over again, get FOV.

If you don't mind starting over again, get DKS, in which the total gameplay experience is in my opinion much more stream-lined.

There's no big differences between the FOV content in DKS and the FOV content applied to ED.

I am glad I found this thread before the release. I bought and played Ego Draconis for a few levels, but somehow, I did not get very far in the game. Then I saw the announcement for the expansion and I decided to wait for it. Luckily I found this thread and now I pre-orderdered the Dragon Knight Saga instead of the solo expansion.

Maybe it would be better if the difference between these two would be made clear on the official website?

As it is, I'm rather excited to see what has changed and to see the new and improved graphics.

Kind regards,

-Elena- Offline OP
OP Offline
It has been some time now since Larian mentioned the patch that would convert ED and FoV to DKS, but I was wondering if there is already a decision made about it.

Will this patch be made available? And if so, will it be for free?

Hopefully you have the time to answer Larian wink

Support
Support

As Lar recently described in the topic A quick status update, the Xbox versions of DKS were submitted last friday and the PC versions should have been built over the weekend (so the final QA check is in progress). When that is done they can build the FoV versions (don't know if they are testing them at the same time, or are going to finish with DKS first), at which point it should be clearer whether and how they can provide a D2:ED+FoV to DKS conversion patch.
If so, hopefully they will have the time to include it on the FoV DVD (or at least the larger resources that will need to be replaced), assuming the publishers agree, and don't mind the increased production costs if it that would bump it to a dual layer DVD.

I can not see charging for such a patch, since the whole motivation for its proposed existence was people complaining about how the few details we have about the remastered aspects were so fantastic that there was no point in playing the patched original version (which, regardless of how may times it was played or hours enjoyed, would pale to rubbish in comparison), and yet the very idea of paying anything over and above the unknown cost of the add-on to get DKS was unthinkable.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Thanks for making this thread. Answered things I was very curious about regarding these 2 additions to the game laugh

I can't wait for DKS now! This will be the first game I've ever bought twice :O Hurry up November! laugh

-Elena- Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Raze wink as always!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LiddaBit
Thanks for making this thread. Answered things I was very curious about regarding these 2 additions to the game laugh

I can't wait for DKS now! This will be the first game I've ever bought twice :O Hurry up November! laugh

All things are for me the same smile

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
K
stranger
stranger
K
It seems to me that all this discussions are useless for me, as the publisher (CENEGA) in my country will only publish DKS. They have no plans for publishing FoV+patch or even FoV alone.

Anyway, LARIAN thanks for good intentions. At least others may have the choice.

Have fun in November hehe

stranger
stranger
Thanks for making this thread, I guess I'll just have to skip EoV and goto DKS. I want the "Complete Experience" Even if Larian did the same thing bioware did, and cater to the console audience.

Why do you think Dragon Age 2 is out next year? DA: O wasnt "Streamlined" enough for consoles and they decided to abandon it and start again with a more Console friendly Dragon Age 2.

On a side note, I personally (as many people!) wouldn't care at all if I had to start over to convert ED+FOV into DKS

Last edited by VampLena; 09/10/10 12:52 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kein
Originally Posted by Lar_q
If on PC it plays more "streamlined", on 360 it's almost as if it's a different (and better) game.

So... first bioware, now Larian. Devs made theirs choice - consoles.
Guess, starting from 2012 it will be "console only gaming". Poor PC.

Maybe you're reading into it wrong. Better game as in better than the original version released which had its issues in comparison to the PC version. If it makes it a better game then it would bring it on par with the PC version rather than be better than it.

Nothing wrong with that.

N
stranger
stranger
N
If you are still considering a way in which to offer the content of DKS to owners of D2:ED, may I suggest you follow the same route as other developers/publishers have done recently? Mainly, offer DKS to existing owners of D2:ED for a percentage off. I would suggest, the same price as the expansion. That way, owners of D2:ED can determine for themselves whether they want to continue with just the engine enhancements provided by the expansion, or whether they wish to start over with DKS. All without having to consider the additional cost incurred with DKS -- as this could be negated with the provision of a 50% off offer.

For reference, both GamersGate and Steam have systems in place that allow just this sort of offer. And both sites are currently using these systems for "loyalty" offers in regards to Stalker Call of Pripyat, Cities XL 2011 and Blood Bowl Legendary Edition.

Taking advantage of such systems also negates the need to spend additional development time on creating additional patches for providing as much of the DKS updates to D2:ED as possible given the problems with the save games. So ultimately, it's win-win situation for everyone.

I look forward to the possible provision of such an offer as I would love to get the DKS content, but having paid $49.99 for D2:ED, paying $39.95 for the DKS does seem a little excessive.

old hand
old hand
Check out Steam (tomorrow probably) - existing ED buyers will be able to get DKS at a reduction through the system they have in place.

Alternatively, you can get FOV if you have ED already, and download the ED+FOV to DKS patch that we hope to release in the near future (we're still making it)

old hand
old hand
So the DKS Patch will not be coming to Xbox 360 I guess?

Support
Support

No, Lar said previously the conversion patch would be too large for Xbox. Hopefully there will still be an Xbox patch to include the updates and changes made for FoV (particularly since the UK Xbox version didn't get a 1.03 update).

old hand
old hand
I think that 1.03 Update was canned sadly...
For some reason we never received it.
I kept pestering Lar about it he also seemed to try Dodge the question never a straight answer.

A shame really, was really looking forward to it.
The least they could do for EU owners is the 1.03 Patch!

enthusiast
enthusiast
What exactly do you mean by DKS patch? As in a patch to bring D2:ED to the FOV version?

old hand
old hand
The Path will add some of the tweaks and fixes that are included in the DKS Version, is what I understand.

Support
Support

DivineGamer;
I assume there was no UK 1.03 update because of limits MS places on the size and number of patches. Maybe if Larian released a patch then, they wouldn't have been able to release another significant update.

Unreal Warfare;
There will be a patch for the PC version of D2:ED to make it equivalent to DKS, minus the FoV section. However, the size and number of content changes made, etc, will make the patch too large for Xbox. Updating it to changes made in FoV should be possible, though (engine updates, fixes, but no changes to flying fortresses or enemy placement, etc).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

DivineGamer;
I assume there was no UK 1.03 update because of limits MS places on the size and number of patches. Maybe if Larian released a patch then, they wouldn't have been able to release another significant update.

Unreal Warfare;
There will be a patch for the PC version of D2:ED to make it equivalent to DKS, minus the FoV section. However, the size and number of content changes made, etc, will make the patch too large for Xbox. Updating it to changes made in FoV should be possible, though (engine updates, fixes, but no changes to flying fortresses or enemy placement, etc).

Yeah so what I thought he meant. I don't think you'll see that patch for Ego Draconis on Xbox 360, that's why they developed Dragon Knight Saga wasn't it? Because of all the restrictions on the service etc.

Surprised they didn't make FoV DLC and roll a patch out with the DLC, though I'm guessing just doing DKS was much much easier overall.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard