Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
For everyone who wants to know how the game is before buying. Please leave your impressions.
I am waiting on Steam right now so i will give my impressions in a bit.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I'd mostly love to hear about the changes to the original areas so I can decide if I want to wait for the DKS retail version to pop up somewhere or just buy FoV as DLC on gamersgate.

P
stranger
stranger
P
As I stated in another thread, I would like to know if anti-aliasing works in DKS.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
After playing it for about an hour, I can tell it will be rewarding. I maxed out all options, q9550, 280 gtx, and attempted to force AA but I wasn't able too. The gameplay is fun and there are a bunch of skills to choose from. The story seems interesting as this is my first Divinity game. Considering there are more than 100+ hours of gameplay for $40 I am pretty excited. But the graphics are definitely the lacking factor. They are a little weaker than Dragon Age, so not bad but no Crysis.

stranger
stranger
I played the original game and just bought the DKS. Must say there are some new things. First of all the graphics are better then they usedto be. They also have added several new armour sets in the starting area ucan also adjust the difficulty now which might come in handy for people who are having difficulties. Besides that, after you finished the original game the flames of vengeance addon automaticaly starts. The DKS is definately worth 30€ in my eyes. If you have any other questions about The Dragon Knight Saga just ask.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by grote-smurf
If you have any other questions about The Dragon Knight Saga just ask.

There was talk of "streamlined gameplay" and things like that... any dumbing-down that you have seen? My main worry is that the game has been simplified to appeal to reviewers who complained about harder aspects like tough enemies and such.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I want to know, definitively if enemies respawn in ED areas, it was mentioned as a feature, but no one has said if it is true in release.

stranger
stranger
Im loving the new Casual mode, it seems like Health auto-regenerates in it. Also battles seem alot faster and more fun in it, Im not sure about harder difficulties because I enjoy 'dumbed' down combat, I dont play RPGs to fuss over combat systems. All in all, so far it seems alot better then the base game.

old hand
old hand
^Health always regenerates, it's just that the health regeneration rate depends on strength.

I've been playing it for a few hours, so far gameplay has been the same as in Ego Draconis. But performance is better than in the ED (although FPS seems to be capped at 30). There is also no longer mouse lag in menus.

I noticed new dialogue options a couple of times, but perhaps this is maybe just me misremembering things.

N
stranger
stranger
N
It was just mentioned above, but the PC version is hard capped at 30 FPS.

This gives the game a very choppy and lagged feel even on an extremely high end system.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Ok, so far so good. A few requests to anyone thinks they can edit the game a little bit. I want to scroll the camera closer for more of a 3rd person feel. I want to decrease stuttering and want to enable using a controller. Any ideas?

stranger
stranger
is it possible for someone to mod out the FPS cap? This is really disappointing alot of people.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Ok, after a few more hours of enjoyment, I have found a personal fix for me. When putting settigns on Extreme and then dragging the distance rendering to low and turned on timeslice update. That more or less eliminates my stuttering, great game so far. Definitely recommended.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by VampLena
is it possible for someone to mod out the FPS cap? This is really disappointing alot of people.

If it is hardcoded into the executable (and that is likely the case) then not really. For all games I know of you cannot legally modify or disassemble the executable.

There feels to be a lot of changes in DKS over the original and I often find myself thinking "that wasn't there or that didn't happen" the last time I played.
Overall, the original felt unfinished were as DKS feels complete.
I have no problems with the graphics, I find them beautiful and atmospheric, the shadows in particular are very believable.

There are barrow loads of games for sale that are not worth your time never mind your money, but DKS is not one of them. I feel DKS is worth every penny 10 times over and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a game they can get themselves lost in. celebrate

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
Originally Posted by VampLena
Im loving the new Casual mode, it seems like Health auto-regenerates in it. Also battles seem alot faster and more fun in it, Im not sure about harder difficulties because I enjoy 'dumbed' down combat, I dont play RPGs to fuss over combat systems. All in all, so far it seems alot better then the base game.

I to am loving the casual mode, being more into the story than bashing heads, and besides I want to feel powerful, I want to feel like a err.......... dragon slayer. rpg001

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
M
stranger
stranger
M
Ya im loving this two, just wish the 30 fps cap would go away, most gamers machines nowadays are capable of keeping this game at a locked 60fps, i dont care what scientists or anybody else say when youve been playing games locked at 60 fps then all the sudden play a game at 30fps locked it hurts the eyes and its very noticeable. My guess is they did this because of the xbox and ps3.
Please patch out this fps lock developers as this game is awesome and really want to beable to use the horsepower under our pc hoods.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by MTB78
Please patch out this fps lock

That's not possible. They'd have to re-engineer a lot of the game to achieve a steady 60 frames per second, which requires a much larger budget, which the publisher is undoubtedly not going to provide based on a simple cost-benefit analysis. There is absolutely zero point in complaining or requesting that the developers simply "unlock" the frame rate. You can stop posting about it in every thread.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Right on sorry, didnt think it was a big deal. Just kind of weird as the original wasnt locked at 30 so though maybe something was wrong.

Last edited by MTB78; 06/11/10 08:17 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by MTB78
Right on sorry, didnt think it was a big deal. Just kind of weird as the original wasnt locked at 30 so though maybe something was wrong.

No need to apologize. I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Just saying: a steady 60 frames per second is a huge technical challenge that requires a lot of manpower, time, and other resources. That's why Insomniac, which was the leader in this performance category, ultimately discontinued the practice. They'd rather spend more time on other elements of their games than on this very tough hurdle that really only the very best software people can overcome and which very few consumers actually appreciate. If you want a game that runs at 60 frames per second, you have to start with that goal from the beginning.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard