Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Support
Support

Lar described the motivation for DKS earlier in this topic (in this post), but the release of DKS doesn't preclude patching the original D2:ED release.

FoV was originally intended to be DLC on the Xbox, but became too large.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze
FoV was originally intended to be DLC on the Xbox, but became too large.

What size is the FoV DLC? I find it hard to imagine it being so large that it can't be offered on the marketplace. Not when full games that are over 5gb are being put up for sale on there, or even when some games have DLC that surpassed original DLC limits (GTAIV for example).

Support
Support

I believe Xbox add-ons are limited to 2GB.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze
I believe Xbox add-ons are limited to 2GB.

And FoV (including the patch) is bigger than this?

Even if it is, which is some feat to have the full game and then the expansion on the same disc (which would be under 9gb for a DVDROM, that would be some serious compression) I know Microsoft made exceptions to the rule in the past.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare
What size is the FoV DLC?

About 5 GB, given that Ego Draconis is 8 GB and FoV requires 13 GB of hard disc space for the PC version.

Last edited by Gwenio; 05/11/10 12:52 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gwenio
What size is the FoV DLC?

About 5 GB, given that Ego Draconis is 8 GB and FoV requires 13 GB of hard disc space for the PC version.

On the Xbox 360 Ego Draconis is 6gb (going by install size).

Link

Hmmm so drop 2gb off FoV for arguments sake and that would make it around 3gb (probably smaller considering it still has to fit onto a 9gb disc).

Unless DKS is a two disc set I can't see the DLC being that large on consoles. If it is over 2gb I'm willing to bet it's marginal if DKS comes on just one disc.

Soon find out when I get around to installing it tomorrow.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 05/11/10 01:02 AM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
On the Xbox 360 Ego Draconis is 6gb (going by install size).

Link

Hmmm so drop 2gb off FoV for arguments sake and that would make it around 3gb (probably smaller considering it still has to fit onto a 9gb disc).

Unless DKS is a two disc set I can't see the DLC being that large on consoles. If it is over 2gb I'm willing to bet it's marginal if DKS comes on just one disc.

Soon find out when I get around to installing it tomorrow.

DKS (PC) is the same size as FoV with D2:ED. The numbers I listed are install sizes, so yes compression would make it smaller.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I am still a bit confused. If all I care about is the updated engine and the new content, as I have no desire to replay D2:ED, I would assume all I want is the FOV expansion, correct?

The DKS and the upcoming patch is only for those who want to see the original game using the new engine and possibly redesigned?

Support
Support

There is no difference in the add-on section of the game between D2:ED + FoV and DKS. If you are not going to be playing a game with a different character, or don't care about the changes made to D2:ED in the remastered version, then you would only need FoV.

On the PC, DKS (or D2:ED with the conversion patch) is of interest to those who want to replay the D2:ED section of the game with updated artwork, changes to the flying fortresses, adjustments to opponents placement and loot, etc.

D
stranger
stranger
D
If I chose to play with a different character, isn't it possible to do just the FOV content without starting the whole game over?

Support
Support

Yes, you can start a new level 35 character at the beginning of FoV (in D2:ED + FoV or in DKS).

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Check out Steam (tomorrow probably) - existing ED buyers will be able to get DKS at a reduction through the system they have in place.

Alternatively, you can get FOV if you have ED already, and download the ED+FOV to DKS patch that we hope to release in the near future (we're still making it)

Is the same offer available for GamersGate? As that's where I purchased it from. And to be honest, I'd rather get DKS instead of the expansion as I have doubts as to whether this patch you speak of will actually be released. Too many developers, etc., have promised similar in the past and then never delivered.

old hand
old hand
-For the moment, it's only via Steam I'm afraid - we're looking into extending the offer elsewhere but that's not really our decision to make.
-The patch is in the works and as the software is already there (DKS and FOV actually exist ;)), you shouldn't be too worried about it making an appearance soon.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I'm still kind of confused about which to get... I worry that "streamlined" means dumbed-down and would rather have the game as it originally was if that is the case.

old hand
old hand
I don't think you can say we dumbed it down - with streamlined we mean that we've tried to get rid of the parts that were frustrating, and polished the game a lot more.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Lar_q
I don't think you can say we dumbed it down - with streamlined we mean that we've tried to get rid of the parts that were frustrating, and polished the game a lot more.

Hey Ive searched around a lot for the info about a aptch to make ED +FOV into DKS and Id like to know IF you have anymore Info about this ? and should we expect days weeks months ? before such a release?

Im asking because right now Im holding myself from playing and I would buy FOV right away if I was 100% sure that patch is coming soon .. I dont want to get screwed after buyign FOV and then realise that patch will never exist :P

P.S I read something about your vault that would eventually sell in us /can it be nice to know cause I would definitly buy it from you directly but well euro is kinda .... well you know :P I struggling at the moment cause I cant play ... that why I want more info to take a decision

Last edited by Snutze; 06/11/10 06:25 PM.
U
stranger
stranger
U
I've read this thread extensively, and I have to say I am quite disapointed.

I own the retail version of Ego Draconis. The COLLECTOR version, I mean. You know, that one with a terribly poorly designed map things in the box and the to-download-later content that I have never been able to actually download. I think one could say paying the game slightly more for exactly the same thing (well, plus the shiz map) is some kind of statement to show support to the dev team. especially if you consider that, initially, I had downloaded the game for "free" and decided it was so good the dev team certainly deserved my support and my money.

Now, I would like to get the addon, but obviously there is a problem. Either I start over AGAIN to enjoy the full content, or I just miss alot of things. Actually, I'm going to miss alot of things anyway, unless that fabled patch comes and makes the game exactly like DKS.

Well, I don't want to start over. Not again, especially because I already had to do so due to lost savegames when reinstalling my computer (to be honest, I NEVER thought to seek for the saves in Application Data, that's just too odd a file to place such files). So, basically, all I can do is miss some stuff. Which I don't want either.

Or do I ? I'm not even sure I WANT that new stuff. What exactly is "streamlined" supposed to mean, here ? What "annoying parts" were removed ? What do you guys mean with "annoying shield puzzles were removed" ? I, personnaly, have never had a problem with the idea of figuring what to blast to open a new way in. Because we can change into dragons doesn't mean we can't use our brains, right ? So what exactly does this "shield puzzles were removed" mean ? You removed the shields themselves ? I'd like to make an educated choice when deciding to buy or not, and the reviews I have read do not detail the changes made in the original game.

So, basically, DKS is another game. Ego Draconis, but better, or so does the game makers say. Alright, but then kindly detail what's so different extensively. I'd like to know if I want to start over again, to just add some of the new stuff, or to just skip it all.

Story change ? Alright, what's changed ?
Streamlined, enemy balancing, loot changes ? Alright, what sort of changes then ?
Have we gotten further on the "hack and slash" way and moved away from the "RPG" ? Is the doom of respawn upon us everywhere, some places only, or just a legend ?

Well, you get the idea.

At least, if someone could point me to a review, either in french or english, that extensively compares the changes between ED and DKS, I'll be grateful. So far, I'm not playing anymore in case I'll have to restart again, and I'm not buying anything either because I haven't found enough information to make a choice.

Support
Support

Previous saves are compatible with FoV, and after installing it you will be able to load your latest save and keep playing, or you can create a new level 35 character and begin at the add-on content (you can do that in DKS, as well).

With the upcoming 'fabled' conversion patch, you would have the option to stick with D2:ED + FoV and maintain save compatibility, or install the patch to get the changes in DKS. There has not been a detailed or exhaustive list of those changes yet, or a lot of detailed feedback from people who have started playing DKS.

How different is the remastered edition?

U
stranger
stranger
U
Well, before starting this message, I'd like to apologize. When reading again my previous message I realised it sounded really harsh. It sure wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry about that.

Now, I understand that the saves will be compatible (which is already ALOT better than what I had read is some review...), but if the whole game has been changed, and if maintaining compatibility meant not applying some of the changes, basically, I feel cheated. I find it disgruntling that having been suportive very early means that I will either miss new content / changes or start over.

I do understand the technical reasons and all, but I'm still pretty disapointed. Since there is nothing to do about it, more informations would allow me to chose whether to start over or to skip the changes.

Now, if such information doesn't exist yet, my best choice is most likely to wait until such feedback exists.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

old hand
old hand
The major changes in DKS versus the original ED are

a) Flying fortress levels are completely different
b) Most anti-dragon zones (the red auras) have been removed
c) In a lot of places enemy placement has been modified, especially in the latter parts of the game (e.g. Oroboras fjords)
d) Loot balancing has been radically changed
e) Difficulty spikes have been addressed
f) Major graphical overhaul
g) A variety of mechanic changes should make combat feel better (e.g. no homing missiles, level difference not that important anymore when dealing with enemies)
h) A whole bunch of usability changes (which are also present in FOV)

DKS was intended for people who never played ED before, but it does offer a better experience than ED in my opinion. However, if you want to continue playing with your existing savegames, then you should get FOV. A lot of the improvements of DKS are present in FOV, and the only ones that are missing are the ones that couldn't be intrdouced without breaking savegame compatibility.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard