Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Trippy
KOTOR 2 was also pretty awful, especially when they forgot to give it an ending. Which was a shame, because the original KOTOR was awesome.

Try the Sith Lord Restored Content Mod;
http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/13-tslrcm/

addict
addict
I like Fable for its charm. It's got a great stylized look, IMO. However, it's sad that Lionhead doesn't play up the role-playing mechanics, instead they dumb them down more with each iteration.

And am I crazy for liking KOTOR II more than KOTOR?

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Libertarian
I like Fable for its charm. It's got a great stylized look, IMO. However, it's sad that Lionhead doesn't play up the role-playing mechanics, instead they dumb them down more with each iteration.

No. Better story (personal storyline vs the usual epic save-the-world/universe BioWare story), better characters, better writing.

Also, pretty interesting crafting system and guns/rifles were no longer underpowered like the first game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Libertarian

That would make me even crazier then ;P.

veteran
veteran
And I'm also crazy biggrin ... to have fun with "Arcania : A gothic Tale" (on Xbox)

Especially the skilltree is stupid maked, but further this game is okay. But yeah, just "okay" is also the best I can say about it for now (level 5 now) ... the way the dialogs are maked is also strange ... but funny, so I look now only on the bright side of the dialogs: funny to hear and see hahaha

The way the bow/crossbow system works I find very nice done. I start to love using a bow in a RPG since playing the DKS and now I'm "testing" the ranged weapons (not guns please!) in each RPG I try smile .

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
journeyman
journeyman
Two Worlds has been my only regret in buying. It was worth the $9.99 I spent, but a penny more and it wouldn't have been. I have yet to play Two Worlds 2, so I don't know how much of an improvement was made, but I will forever dislike Two Worlds. Main reasons being:

1. The graphics were absolutely terrible. This game coming out about a year AFTER Oblivion, you think they would have tried to do something less grainy and pixelated.
2. The voice acting was a joke.
3. The animations showed you what would happen if you got a stick shoved up your ass.
4. The UI was cluttered and disorganized, by far the worst thing I have ever seen.

I could go on and on. It was basically Morrowind cept on a $50 budget, shitty in every way and created about 6 years later. It sucked.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I quzite enjoyed the game. It is an explorer's dream, imho.

But what I could NOT STAND AT ALL was these wobbling heads ... During each dialogues ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
journeyman
journeyman
Like I said, it was nice for the amount I paid, and I do agree it had nice exploration. It had a lot of great ideas, they just weren't executed well. Which is sad because I'm fairly certain it could have outshined Oblivion...

addict
addict
Two Worlds II is fantastic and comes highly recommended. A huge improvement over the awful first game.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
old hand
old hand
Two Worlds is only godawful on console.

On PC there's the 1.7 Gig patch that turns it into a decent game.

journeyman
journeyman
What I get for being a console gamer. The only thing I will ever play on PC will be MMORPGs because I just love the consoles so much. NO idea why, I just like the way they play better I suppose. And the thought of upgrading my PC every gen just doesn't settle well in my mind... >>;

Libertarian, I will definitely be buying it once I get the money, but right now I'm waiting for a price drop. I buy games once they hit $30 usually. There's a few exceptions to the rules, namely anything Bethesda touches...because it's always golden.

addict
addict
Oblivion was golden...

A GOLDEN TURD!

:P

I don't think Two Worlds is a good game anywhere. Even when it's running at a stable clip, it's still a piss poor game. Just my opinion. :P

journeyman
journeyman
What exactly did you dislike about Oblivion? Just curious...

Two Worlds is a piss poor game, yes. But it's not so horrible I wouldn't say "Don't buy it" if you came across it for $9.99. It's got A LOT of lows, but there are some highs too, examples being:

1. Just the fact that it's free roam and the world is decent AND accessible.
2. Said it before, the exploration factor.
3. The quest, I actually enjoyed them. What I didn't enjoy was how they could be failed so easily and you not even realize it. Not cool.
4. The skill trees were grand, and I wish most games would take the time to do something to that extent. Like Risen, Gothica 4, Fable, or even Divinity.
5. And something I like, but I assume not everyone does is the no respawn mob factor. I find it a nice touch on modern gaming when something fresh like this is thrown into a game.
6. The amount of Guilds available to the player.
7. The fact that you CAN respec your skills, should you so choose.
8. Decent main quest, even if the ending is horrible.

Bout all the highs I can think of for this game. And there are many more lows, but saying it's not a "good game anywhere" just makes you sound ignorant, because it has it's high points, they are just buried beneath all of the low points. It's still my least favorite RPG ever, but it doesn't mean I didn't find something to like about it.

veteran
veteran
Oblivion is a serious downgrade on all sides from Morrowind.

Hopefully they don't fail again with Skyrim. But I fear the worst, so I am not looking forward to it at all...

journeyman
journeyman
I do agree it was a downgrade from Morrowind in every area but graphics, obviously. But because of the graphics alone, a lot about the series was improved. I personally, don't care what the graphics look like, some do. With Oblivion, the graphics seemed more realistic, and I have friends that need that realism to get into the roleplaying aspect of the game. As to where I'm fine with Morrowind and all of it's glory. <3 Still going on about graphics here, but the armor, weapons and just everything involved with graphics, from lighting to the reflection in waters, etc. ALL increased it's gameplay value. Yes, it was a downgrade from Morrowind in most areas, but it still holds it's own as a great modern (Or less so now) RPG. With Skyrim, they are trying to make it more simple also, which I don't know if a like or dislike. But because of this new simple idea, maybe they will focus more on certain aspects that people disapproved of with Oblivion. Which still to this day I haven't heard any real disapprovals that warrant all of the dislike people seem to have for Oblivion. Morrowind is a good game and so is Oblivion. I really wish people would stop lumping all RPGs together like it's a giant competition. Play the game and enjoy it for what it is, not for what you wish it was or could have been. Not to say everyone is perfect and the world will be coated in sugar and flowers. Of course there will be things that people dislike, but there has to be some nice experience you had with the game. For example, take me and Two Worlds. I despise the game, but I am not ignorant to the fact it had some decent aspects about it.

And can I ask you what specifically you disliked (Or liked) about Oblivion? What you loved/hated about Morrowind? And what you hope to see (Or not see) in Skyrim?

A
veteran
veteran
A
I think people - I mean most of the gamers - bought and loved Oblivion BECAUSE OF the graphics - not for anything else, I fear.

And this trend still goes on.

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
journeyman
journeyman
Agreed. With the growing technology, I too fear we are losing what RPG's are actually meant to be. Or at least my definition of what it is meant to be. It's not always about the flashy graphics, but the game play and the depth in which you can get consumed in. Take Mass Effect 2, I liked 1 better. I also liked Dragon Age: Origins better than the second. It's because they stuck to what an RPG was as to where the second games started to stray away from it.

A
veteran
veteran
A
The trend I see with the ME series is that of turning RPGs into "Shooters with RPG elements" - globally.

It's because shooters are currently the games with the far greatest established fan base - plus they are also the games with the far shortest life-span (in SP moe, at least), which is also like selling consummables that are FAST consumed - which ensures lots of ongoing profits to he publishers (which are usually the driving forces behind everything).

It's a bit like ... making a product so weak it breaks through rather easily (and rather fast) so that more of the same thing (or of a similar thing) can be (re-)sold again ...

--Dilbert cartoon

veteran
veteran
Twilight,

I see you have yet to play Witcher 2 smile That should give you much hope for the future of CRPGs, should you try it smile

If you want immersive story, meaningful choice and a world that lives and breathes, you'll have trouble finding better smile

Please click the banner...
veteran
veteran
Prettier graphics aren't a good replacement for lacking art. The world of Morrowind looked unique, majestic. Oblivion? Generic and boring.

Exploration was destroyed by lack of reward... don't even mention the extremely stupid "enemies level with you" system.

Conversations weren't too long in Morrowind, but the VO requirement made them even shorter, and less frequent in Oblivion. It was a pain.

Then there's the consolised inventory, "easier" made skills (read; a lot less), and far more mistakes.

Sequels should build on their predecessing game, not give less.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard