Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
journeyman
journeyman
Yay! I have things to answers! ^^; Okay~

Alrik, again I agree, but there are some of these new FPS RPGs that don't suck. Fallout 3, Fallout: NV, and ME1 were good. BUT! I still agree with the fact they are over too quickly so it leaves you wanting more. At one point I figured Fallout 3 was god's gift to the world because it was just that amazing. Looking back now, I see that it was indeed a great game (NV was better imho, even if people see it as an "addon') but it is not on par with other modern RPGs. If I could get another Deus Ex, I'd be happy.

Elliot, I will most definitely play Witcher 2. Played the first, and have only put off buying the 2nd due to me being broke and other things grabbing my attention sooner. While I don't gamer on PC, and I think I read a post about you saying the graphics were godlike for PC, I will still grab it because I like the series.

Hassat, I agree. Prettier graphics shouldn't replace what makes the land unique and the experience better. While the graphics were beautiful enough to grab my attention and hold it for awhile, I soon became annoyed by the same landscape copy and pasted 999 times over. There is a point where no matter how grand the graphics look, if game play sucks, you won't like it. Oblivion for some people, rides that line due to the still amazing Morrowind. People who just picked up Oblivion, BEFORE playing Morrowind I find enjoyed it more because they don't understand how amazing the predecessor is and what a let down Oblivion was. Then, once they pick up Morrowind all you hear is them complaining how it's too hard and they can't find nothing and they die a lot.

As for the enemies level with you system, that was the biggest mistake they made imho. To have even a survivable chance when you reach the 20's on 50% diff, you need to efficient level. 5/5/1 is what I normally do, going with END and INT first, then working on whatever my other means of damage is. STR or AGI +SPE. I have also fallen in love with staying level 1 playing on max difficulty. Both remedy the situation, but a gamer shouldn't have to look for loopholes to justify his/her playing of a game. It was off balance and a failure.

lvl 1 - 13 were easy
14 - 24 were hard as hell
25+ was easy again

Oblivion's dialogue and Morrowind's for that matter were lacking. And I think what Skyrim is doing will enhance it a lot. If you haven't heard, they continue about whatever they were doing before, casually glancing at you so to not seem rude. They also no longer wait around for you to talk to them. They might be working at a lumber mill or smithy, which you can assist with now.

I never have a problem with the inventory... I hear people talk about it, but I don't understand why. Someone said it was because if you carried a lot of stuff that it took forever to find anything. ...carry only the things you need? Skyrim being tailored to the console AND THEN ported to PC will indeed remedy this situation. As for the skills, yes they sucked and it was a grindfest for little to no reward.

The only area I found Oblivion building on top of was the graphics, where everything else was ran over with a bulldozer.

veteran
veteran
Twilight,

The graphics on Witcher 2 are quite possibly the best ever seen in a PC game, assuming you have a machine that can handle them, yes. But that's not the reason why RPG fans should get it, though it surely doesn't hurt.

Witcher 2 is a true RPG to its core. Decisions you make matter, even more than they did in the first one. Every character in the game has motivation, personality, etc. They have night and day routines, as in Witcher 1. But you get the idea. I hesitate to say 'best single character RPG ever' as I hate being that unequivocal, but if there IS a better single character RPG, I have never seen it.

But, well. You can tell I'm impressed already, I'm sure, so I'll leave it there smile If you are a fan of RPGs, though, you'll probably love it smile

Please click the banner...
journeyman
journeyman
RPGs is all I play, lol. So, yes I will love it. c:

veteran
veteran
Heh. In that case, I'm sure you will, yeah smile

V
stranger
stranger
V
After reading some of the peoples complaints about TES series, I have to jump in and say you're not a true fan of the RPG if you don't play TES for the lore. That has always and will always be the most driven factor of any of the games. The fact that these games were so large, made it capable for that amount of lore to be spread. I spent out hours in oblivion (first release,pc) just searching for books, because if actually gives you a good sense and perspective of the world you're apart of. Oblivion's combat system is obviously better then morrowinds, and makes for a more action-oriented stretch from it's prior titles, but each of these games have set the standard for anything open-world related. Unmatched, and unbeaten, the Elder Scrolls series is the BEST thing that's ever happened to RPG's. I expect Skyrim to continue to advance much in the way Oblivion did. To each their own story.

Bethesda always makes a good game.

And this is coming from a guy who breathed D&D since he was 8.

Worst RPG has to be a toss up between Fable 2/3 and 2 Worlds. My reasons are simple.

A) They both rob you of your hopes prior to the release.
B) You'd spend double the amount of money you would of these two and still not get the experience you would get from games such as Divinity.
C) Fable 2/3 destroyed the definition of "Open'world." Dev's practically lied about going anywhere.
D) Two Worlds have the most boring combat of anything that I've played, and has yet to devilver a story I can't predict (in both games).
E) Fables Inventory system was horrible.
F) 2 Worlds UI was horrific on some televisions, putting it right dead smack on your character, or didn't display everything because the ui was too big.
G) Horrible Translations in 2 Worlds/ Voice Acting.
H) Both games need a REAL overhall -- More inspirational story, excitement and surprise! Fable two needs to be completel open-world, more discoveries, more loot, and a way better magic system... 2 Worlds needs to improve their combat further and get some better voice actors.

I go on and on about H, but I simply don't have the time, haha. So that's my 2 cents, enjoy it, and add to it if you care, I really don't. I just figured I'd throw all that out there..

journeyman
journeyman
Vondred, if you are interested in Lore, then check out: http://www.imperial-library.info/

I spend most of my time on the interwebs in there now. Even more so the closer Skyrim gets... Searching for possible clues and other such things that would be of interest to the evolving world of TES. (:

Fun fact though, I have an Oblivion character whose main goal is to collect (And read) all books available in the game. Almost done. C:

Agree though, Lore is a big part of TES, though I don't think that is the main attraction. It being a open and free world is the main selling point of Oblivion, on top of graphics. Not saying Lore shouldn't be the main attraction, but most gamers don't really take the time to invest themselves in a game. They just want to beat it.

For example, I had this one friend who beat the game at level 14 I think it was and he went on and on about he was unstoppable and blah blah. He was on 0% difficulty... But I mean, that was all that mattered. That fact that he was good and could kill anything in one hit. He treated it like a hack and slash or something... >>; He didn't care that his race was from Black Marsh and that [most] of their names were based off of the first action they do out of the egg. He named it his name. He went around fighting, just fighting. Enter cave, exit cave, enter another, exit that one. Never bothered to read a book ingame, nor talk to people or anything. As I took god knows how long to level to 14, but I efficiently leveled (5/5/1) and took my time and enjoyed the game. Reading, talking, etc. Read the Lore that is in the lovely Imperial Libraries and I hate to sound like a bitch, but I played the game correctly. Like an RPG is meant to be played. Guess who is still playing the game and enjoying every moment? Yeah.

TES will forever be my favorite RPG series no matter what anyone says. /rant

V
stranger
stranger
V
Some people just have a taste for something bigger in games. Why have people make stories for the players who play these games if they don't bother to read them? I say if you're going to make a purchase, you should explore everything the game has to offer. Get the maximum experience.

Thank you for the link! It's already come useful in answering some questions I had in mind. smile

journeyman
journeyman
The friend I mentioned above has moved onto CoD, which I wouldn't exactly call "bigger." Agree once again. (: And you are welcome.

veteran
veteran
If the general gameplay is bad, no amount of lore can save it...

Maybe Bethesda should spend less time in lore, and more time in making... a good game?

journeyman
journeyman
Guess people just have different taste because I find the game, while it is flawed, to be better than any RPG today's gaming industry has spit out.

stranger
stranger
Alpha Protocol. Its the first game where i actually laughed when i started it and saw how bad it was. To be fair, some of it was enjoyable and the characters were ok. I'd also put Fall Out New Vegas down as well because its such a broken mess

veteran
veteran
First post is an anti-Obsidian rant.

I'd say troll. Bad one being on the wrong boards too, but maybe not...

veteran
veteran
Dunno, Hassat. Its on topic and stronger opinions than that have been voiced in this thread (Sometimes by me, I shouldn't wonder :D).

Doesn't look particularly inflammatory, to me...

A
veteran
veteran
A
It's very hash (harshly ?) formulated, however.

The only thing I know of "Alpha Protocol" is, tht it is clearly a "love or hate" thing.

There's only few games that manage to divide the gaming communities that much.

Interestingly, the rather bad reviews often came from the U.S. (nd somebody has thought at least part of these bad reviews came from the mi-conception of "Alpha Protocol" bing rather a shooter game), an the rather good ones from Europe.

Or so it seemed to me.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
Well I know this:

I've hated every Obsidian game. They ruined the NWN series. All their games are apparent messes and judging by NWN2, this is true. I believe they also destroyed The Dungeon Siege franchise. They're just as bad as Bethesda in my opinion. God, I will never buy games from either of those companies for as long as I live.

veteran
veteran
Just saw Drakensang Online described as 'like Diablo'.

Alrik must be heartbroken...

addict
addict
I love Obsidian.

Alpha Protocol has faults, but it's easily one of my favorite games.

New Vegas is way better than Fallout 3.

KOTOR II > KOTOR.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer was an absolutely incredible expansion.

Dungeon Siege III is different -- yes -- but I honestly think it's a fantastic ARPG in the vein of the Dark Alliance and Norrath games.

And speaking of Dark Alliance, most of the Obsidian team were Black Isle and worked on Dark Alliance with Snowblind, and then they were completely responsible for Dark Alliance II. Black Isle also developed the masterpiece known as Planescape: Torment. Oh, and let's not forget the Icewind Dale series of games.

A lot of these same people worked on both Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines.

I don't care for Bethesda at all, but Obsidian is easily one of my favorite studios.

Last edited by Libertarian; 10/08/11 09:19 PM.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
A
veteran
veteran
A
I know that Drakensang Online is a complete hack & slash game - Bigpoint wanted it so.

I've disconnected myself from it.

At the RPC here in Germany, I had the chance to talk to Bernd Beyreuther a bit, and got my Personal Edition of Drakensang 2 signed by him (the certificate, in fact). wink

He sounded a bit sad as he said that "not enough people bought it".

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
My honest first thought was 'poor Alrik'. I know how fond you are of The Dark Eye.

On the bright side, though, a signed edition of Drak 2 isn't a terrible consolation smile

A
veteran
veteran
A
Yes, it is. wink

By the way, a "PLatinum Edition" has just been announced for all of the Drakensang games ...

... And - shame on me - I still haven't got the expension ...

--Dilbert cartoon

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard