M
Yes indeed ... BIG MACBETH IS WATCHING YOU rpg006

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
old hand
old hand
I don't know if I should feel honered or scared confused lol

oh well i guess i'll just have to be carefull who I hurl a fireball at when my dragon form go's on it's time of the month lol. evil

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
Alrik,

I think the real problem is that the larger a company gets the more it fears to innovate, honestly.

Games cost more and more money to produce, so games companies want to get maximum return from their investment, so they play safe by following the trends.

There is currently one or more discussions going on right npw at RPGWatch, and in this, vbasically the same observation was made : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14701

Another thing I mentioned at the Games Com is this : Things can become a self-fulfilling prophecy as well.

"This won't sell" -> won't be deveöloped, or only so s"sloppily" the finished product is of good quality -> it really doesn't sell enough.

Another thing is what I call "training/educating" the customer/potential buyer". It goes like this _ The customer is offered only several varieties of ice cream flavors. This makes them believe that only these would sell -> "no experiments !" , which is a very conservative point of view (this sentence was actually used by the conservative parties in the 50s I think).

The other point is when marketing says : "this is great - go and buy it!" aka "This is the new shit !" -> Dragon Age marketing campaign. It's like ... using marketing tools to nudge the (potential) customers into a certain direction. And marketing can do quite a lot, psychologically !

Just look at all of these shooter games nd WWII games nowadays - they're all basically of the same breed - but marketing keeps telling is they're all great and improved.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 06/09/11 05:22 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Alrik,

Marketing is important, because if no-one has ever heard of your game they can't buy it. A lot of really good games have gone under the radar for that reason. However, you're right that marketing very often makes claims that are, shall we say, barely justifiable in relation to the facts.

There's no doubt a lot of people (Probably most of us) can be persuaded to buy things by good advertising, but I don't think it deters them from wanting other things, too.

You only have to see how things like Minecraft and The Witcher came out of nowhere to achieve great popularity because they were offering something genuinely new and people responded to that. The main initial 'advertising' for both was simply a lot of gamers telling each other how great they were.

I didn't think people are ever deterred from innovation. What they (We) all do, however, is continue to buy games that are often very similar to each other because we know we will like them.

There's interest in the new, but comfort in the familiar. That's just people smile

Please click the banner...
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
I think it's both, Virumor. You only have to look at Bioware to see what I mean. I don't think for a single moment they set out to completely alienate most of their fanbase with DA2, yet they clearly failed to understand why DA:O was popular in any way, shape or form. That extreme disconnect between creators and gamers is, sadly, all too common.

Oddly, I've seen Bioware post on their forums and speak with people...shame they didn't take all that positive feedback they got with Origins and make Origins 2 instead of Dragon Age 2. We were happy with Origins. Still, Bioware claims that they have learnt their lesson and Dragon Age 3 is supposed to be set in Orlais and the Tevinter Imperium and judging by reviews of their Legacy DLC for DA2, they have got enemy positions and environments right now and I doubt we'll be seeing the waves of enemies falling from the sky and I doubt that there will be recycled environments now for DA3 and future DA2 DLC's.

Dragon Age 3 will probably be a great game if they have truly took fan feedback to heart as they claim so but it's obvious we still aren't getting an Origins 2...

Last edited by Demonic; 10/09/11 04:29 PM.
veteran
veteran
Demonic,

They post, they speak - but until the storm hit I'm not sure they actually listened. Whether they're listening now, of course, we won't know until DA3 comes out... And if that's Origin exclusive or has to be tied to an online account, I'm going to assume they still aren't hearing very well...

old hand
old hand
of course there not EA is there publisher, when does anything in a game go the way the fans want when EA is involved with it.

veteran
veteran
Bioware do sometimes manage to win their battles with EA. Just not enough, sadly...

old hand
old hand
Yeah tell me about it EA just seem to have a bad habit/talent for distroying potentially amazing game's. I might have ended up liking DA if it had'nt have made me feel like killing myself from deprestion & boredom come the end. I blame that on EA because 90% of Biowere games I've played I've liked so it's easy for me to just blame EA because I just don't like them lol. grin

old hand
old hand
The way Origins was developed isn't to be blamed on EA. They're only to blame for DA2 being rushed and we know Origins wasn't rushed. The only good I've seen from EA is The Lord of The Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2.

old hand
old hand
Battle for Middle earth was better than 2

old hand
old hand
2 was good still and it's an opinion anyway. In 1, you could only build in certain places. Though it had the Isengard faction for the story and they are my favorite evil faction.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I had played one of both ... It became too repetitive for my taste after a while ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
Yeah liked the fact that you could build anywere on 2 but I loved that you were able to play as the 4 different factions on 1. Also the maps were awsome & I liked the fact that your team rank went up the more you played with them. Another thing I liked was that the maps showed what difficalty you beat them on so your friends would know you were'nt lying when you said you beat all the maps on the hardest difficalty.

old hand
old hand
The campaigns were pretty good too and I liked the heroes and how they leveled up. Skirmish mode added even more fun as you could play as Isengard and have Gondor as your allies. I remember once, the Dwarves (who were my enemies along with the goblins, Gondor were my allies) built these walls around their area which I was surprised with since I had never seen the computer AI do that before. I believe this only happens on certain maps though (as I saw it several times on the same map and several times in The Shire map). The battle against the Dwarves was fun and actually lasted for hours. Both of us destroyed the entire battlefield and you could see the fire scorch marks everywhere. Best battle ever, it almost resembled an apocalyptic battle.

Last edited by Demonic; 12/09/11 12:48 PM.
old hand
old hand
Yeah you could have epic battles on both games, but I don't know exactley why but 2 just did'nt seem as good too me. I love no1 & it is forever installed on my PC the only time it's ever been removed is when my computer braeks & is in need of reformating. Then it just goes straight back on & I start again lol.

S
S
Worst RPG's?

FFX- bad characters, overhyped, newb's just as rabid over this game... bad horrible game.
Grandia III- i loved Grandia II. Grandia III was horrible. also, the game i had bought was scratched so a lot of the cutscenes would freeze and i had to skip over them... so i didn't get much of the story.
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King... it wasn't a bad game, nor were there great things to say about this game- over all, it was a boring game. in my opinion: boring games are just as bad as bad games...
Wild ARMs 4- blargh... this game was garbage compared the series.
Infinite Undiscovery- just thinking about this game gives me a migraine. so much wasted potential twisted and thrown into a blender- made it worse.
Blue Dragon- like Dragon Quest VIII, boring. nothing to make it stand out, but nothing to praise about this game. boring = bad.

and i enjoyed Alpha Protocol.

Last edited by Sigs Minock; 26/09/11 09:13 PM.
old hand
old hand
the only bad thing I had to say at first about FF X was the fact that you couldn't explore the world from the start of the game. After I started to get over my rage I realisedd just how beautyfull the game was I found myself stopping & just watching the trees & the grass swaying in the wind. Grandia 1 was the best Grandia game it's availible to download on the PS3 marktplace if your interested.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Originally Posted by swordscythe
I think mine has to be Mistmare. It was this RPG I thought might be fun, it was really cheap and I didn't have anything else to do, so I took it home. when I was installing it, I went to Gamespot to see the review. Dismayed was I to find out the reviewers gave it a 1.7/10. Not one to be scared off by a reviewer (I remember IGN gave Gothic II a 2/10 once, one of the best RPG's I can remember and it got a 2/10!), I went ahead and tried it anyway. It really is horrid. The entire way to play the game is clunky and annoying. It's all extremely confusing and soulless. It's like they made a 2MB computer file that generates its very own RPG without any human input. It just appears never to have been tested. It goes from realistic to far-out fantasy in a second. It's full of spelling errors, it crashes to desktop constantly, and even on the best of machines its framerate is terrible.

Anyone else has any horror stories?

Since I'm a hardcore RPG player, I have high tolerance to the RPGs. But I'm definitely agree with you. Mistmare was a terrible game by all standarts. After had been reading all the interviews, previews and seeing the screenshots, I was expecting a game that can saturate my hungry to the Gothic style games. I may be wrong, but the release date of Mistmare was 2002 and Gothic 2 didn't reach to the English territory yet. I even continue to play it out of my optimism that it will be better in the later of the game. Nope, after 20 hours that wasted into the game, I said it's enough. All that I remind of the game is the terrible walking sound that still echoing in my head. smile

By the way, out of topic but 2002 was a great year for RPGs. According to the release dates, Freedom Force, Dungeon Siege, Morrowind, NWN, Warcraft 3, Icewind Dale 2, Divine Divinity, Arx Fatalis, Prince Of Qin all released in 2002.

My another disappointment was a topdown isometric Viking RPG that I can't recall its name. I think it was released in 2000 or 2001. I learned that not all isometric RPG was BG, IWD or PsT by that game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm not even sure if it qualifies as an (a)rpg because I played it exactly 20 minutes and I removed it, never to be played again..Fable 3 ...ok i wasn't expecting flawless game mechanics..but man..that game was BAD..the whole time I was "playing" it i was thinking..why am I doing this to myself..nothing felt smooth, natural, or even interesting or visually appealing..

And Sacred 2..what was that o.O first of all the installation was a mess,with the retarded drm on win7 but then the gameplay was so..not-connecting to the world..I don't know how i can describe it..the whole time i was playing it felt as if the guy on my screen was just doing random things..and I paid for that game,uegh..I'm from the try before you buy principle (and actually do it to, just as i donate to application devs. who make things i really like) and here I didn't do it and voila..I got screwed

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard