Next Thread
Print Thread
#454607 06/04/12 09:10 PM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Ok unless it is just the difficulty I am playing on is there any way to turn falling damage on in this game? The lack of it completely breaks immersion. I like the hardness of the game and ... well yanno. You could even add a falling damage slider if you were really nice thankyou I know it is like a zillion years too late but would it be too much to ask you to mod/patch it to add (optional) falling damage? Apologies if it is already there and I just missed it! horsey

Last edited by Dave Jackson; 06/04/12 10:21 PM.
Support
Support

There is no fall damage, or the option to add it.

This game contains huge rocks floating in the air with fortress built on them. Telekinesis strong enough to control a fall is hardly out of place. Actually, I find it strange in a game like Two Worlds where you can using magic, fight ghost bears, almost instantly heal at a shrine and then slide a bit going down a moderately steep hill and take damage.

Also, dragon slayers were formed to go after opponents who could fly. One of their first orders of business would likely have been to deal with that (or it could have just been natural selection, with the slayers who couldn't take a fall being killed off fairly quickly).

Raze #454613 06/04/12 10:09 PM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I could understand it, if it was written in to the lore, but it is not. I could understand it if there was a slow falling spell, but there isn't. Or a slow fall automatic ability...

I can be damaged by any other way and yet not by falling. I don't seem to be super light weight as otherwise I'd be unable to wield weapons and would be easy to knock back ...

If I had telekinesis strong enough to stop 180lbs of pure muscle plus armour in freefall, surely I could hurl boulders with my mind so why bother with all the armour and shizzle?

I could even understand if I were able to fall a fair way but when I can jump any height... ? If my body is strong enough to allow falls of hundreds of feet, how do I take any damage off anything?

Last edited by Dave Jackson; 06/04/12 10:21 PM.
Support
Support

There is no explanation for the flying fortresses written into the lore, either. I suppose there could have been a spell effect added when falling more than a certain distance, or a description given in Farglow of getting the ability to automatically slow a fall when getting the dragon memories, or something.

There was an active Telekinesis spell in Divine Divinity, but it only allowed you to pick things up or interact with objects from a distance. An active spell which allowed more general manipulation of objects would fit into the game world, but I'm not sure it would be practical in the game engine used in DKS. Once you add such a spell, then much of the world (within some weight and size limits) would need to be movable and destructible, or it would feel partly done (if you can slow your fall in full armour, then many chests should be movable, you should be able to push NPCs back or pull them towards you, possibly break doors, etc). If telekinesis was going to be a core gameplay element it would be worth the effort to implement, but possibly not if it would only be one of a bunch of spells that a player had the option of using.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
"The dragon is as agile as he is strong. Before the wings comes the fatal leap ..." (or something).

Part of the test of dragonhood. Littered with the corpses of those who failed the leap.

Last edited by Dave Jackson; 07/04/12 12:17 AM.
Support
Support

Previous dragon knight initiates did not start out as dragon slayers.

Maxos was long gone and the war against dragonkind had been going on for 50 years before the start of DKS, so given the relatively intact nature of the bodies, they may have been poorly prepared initiates or simply looters (don't recall the description for the bodies).

Raze #454625 07/04/12 01:58 AM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Then why was the book at the start of the trial worded that way?

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
PS it is also "Lovis's Soul" not "Lovis' Soul".
"Francis's Soul" not "Francis' Soul" etc.

"Francis' Soul" implies there is more than on "Franci" and that collectively they have a soul.

http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

Support
Support

I'm not saying the old initiates could all take a fall (at least until they became dragon knights), just that the most recent ones probably wouldn't have been up to the same standards (lots of positions opening up, with presumably far fewer applicants).

Raze #454639 07/04/12 01:49 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Methinks lack of fall damage is more of a technical issue with the game engine; with being able to transform into a dragon and back to human again when landing could cause injury if you changed from too greater height. Also the dragon can't land and walk around so I guess this is something to do with why fall damage was disabled due to complications of being able to transform into something that can fly.

However in the game world lack of fall damage can be explained by something along the lines of what Raze said but I don't remember anything saying why you don't die when leaping from a height.

Not being able to destroy enemies on the ground was due to a technical issue as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was mentioned before and the answer was 1) the game would be too easy 2) it caused massive slowdown problems. So this feature was left out.

Last edited by Arokh; 07/04/12 01:56 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Support
Support

There was speculation in the forum that not being able to attack ground opponents as a dragon was due to balancing issues, but Lar posted that this feature required too much memory and had too much of a frame rate hit (see Design ideas for Divinity 3 (mostly for Larian)).

Raze #454645 07/04/12 03:44 PM
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I don't remember since it was couple of month when i last player it, but weren't there also corpses of dragon slayers on floor in this jumping trial?

pall #454664 07/04/12 10:29 PM
Support
Support

Now that you mention it... (reloads a save in Maxos temple)

The bodies are dragon slayers and Black Ring members, as well as one priest.

The book at the start of that test reads 'feline leap' not 'fatal leap'.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dave Jackson
"The dragon is as agile as he is strong. Before the wings comes the fatal leap ..." (or something).

Part of the test of dragonhood. Littered with the corpses of those who failed the leap.

If you interact with the body's in the Maxos temple they are black ring & dragon slayers. The dragon slayers likely found there way into the temple while traking down the dragon knights. The slayers had an immunity to the dragons mind attacks so they would never have had the option of becoming dragon knights so the bodys in the temple were NOT from failed initiates.The black ring were likely sent by Damian to find the Maxos book or something along those lines. As for the trial description it's "The dragon is as agile as he is strong. Before the wings comes the feline leap." ........god I'm too much of a fan girl lol hahaha

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard