Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Lockpicking will be item based, not skill based. Bartering otoh will be based on npc's opinion of you & your charisma stat.

So, basically: better/"cooler" the lockpick - better the skill/chance?

journeyman
journeyman
Hey Sven, got a question about the skill trees. Are we going to see the classic Warrior/Mage/Thief division that can be intermixed or you plan to take a different approach ?

I personally wouldn't mind pre-defined classes ala Diablo :P

But pre-defined paths with original talents/skills would also be nice [for example: path of the death knight or path of the templar and each with different set of unique skills].

Last edited by Estrogen; 19/06/12 05:17 PM.
Support
Support

As with previous Divinity game, the system is classless, so characters can learn any skill.
We know that 4 of the 6 skill trees are magic (Earth, Wind, Fire and Water). The remaining two may be warrior/survivor, or combat/other...

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze
As with previous Divinity game, the system is class-less, so either main character can learn any skill.

Thanks for your answer Raze, but I think that the ability to access and mix all the skills during your playthrough leave less room for replayability.

Support
Support

You can choose to play specific character builds, if you wish, rather than mixed-class ones. It is unlikely there will be enough skill points to try everything in one game, anyway.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kein
Lockpicking will be item based, not skill based. Bartering otoh will be based on npc's opinion of you & your charisma stat.

Item-based lockpicking sounds like it might require different qualities of lockpicks, so there are a lot of common lockpicks which are cheap and plentiful and can only be used on cheap locks, and there are master lockpicks which are rare/expensive and are only used on expensive locks.

veteran
veteran
I want many secrets !!
Secret locations, secret quests, secret loot etc to discover ! Some puzzles to solve and best to give more than 1 possible way to solve the puzzle(s) !
To explane I give an example :
Let's say you find a book or an incription market in stone (a rock somewhere in the world) and you see many symbols on it you don't understand ! Now the first part starts here of a (maybe) long quest !
You now can search for NPC's who you can ask about what you found and if you're a lucky one some NPC can show you a way to gain knowledge to understand the symbols .

Suppose you already killed that NPC or you reputation against him/her is too low ... you've a problem indeed ! But their are more ways to find the knowlegde you need ... maybe in a library ?

Next part of the quest is to translate the symbols and discover (for example) that their excist a secret location and the symbols give some "scripted info" (like a rebus: word puzzle) where to search for the location and again, some of just 1 NPC can help you or you can try to find it on your own ... Or you must do tricky things like steal a book or a note, or break in a abandonned house/castle to find what you need, with the unpleasant suprize of undead lurking around the place ... :hihi: Maybe another possiblility to find the required info is to use a specific skill on a specific place or whatever (if you invested in the right skill)
Third part of the quest is to finally discover that secret location, well hidden behind a "puzzle of a gate" ... whatever you like wink and at least that location have 1 or 2 unique "random" gear/items it was well worth the great effort to do this quest to the final end !

I say "final" because it's also an idea to build up some (1 or many more?) Quest in different levels:
so how deeper (and logically required a longer time to spend on the quest!) the player go in a quest, the better the rewards begin to shine at you wink
For the example quest I write above :
if the player discover the symbols and find an NPC the player CAN ask for a reward for the info he/she give to the NPC (and so the NPC can go for the quest haha and a bigger reward!).
Or furhter on you discover a book in a library and find a secret little chest with a yewellery item to wear (giving you a skillboost or statboost or whatever). Or you go deeper into the quest and find better weapon in the abandonned house/castle, which required some battles against undead or so.
One thing is certain : how deeper you go in the quest (you needed lots of patiently searching/thinking about ... ), the more the loot start to become bigger and bigger !

I really love Quests in RPG's, quests are for me the power that give me the energy to play and replay rpg's ! laugh

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
About skill system:

Would we gain new skills to learn with levels or there will be skillbooks (like in Beyond Divinity)?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I feel excited about the Developper tool. You should make this adventure if no one else does. Gonna think on a good adventure this summer...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Kein

Item-based lockpicking sounds like it might require different qualities of lockpicks, so there are a lot of common lockpicks which are cheap and plentiful and can only be used on cheap locks, and there are master lockpicks which are rare/expensive and are only used on expensive locks.

I figured that as much, but since developers decided to simplify lockpicking mechanism down to primitive items (lockpicks) usage, I have a feeling that not so much attention goes towards locked secrets -- chests, doors. May be I'm wrong, though.

old hand
old hand
Limited Edition with soundtrack?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Demonic
Limited Edition with soundtrack?

O Yesssss !!! cheer
Very Good Idea ! claphands
I will be pleased
With a Soundtrack cd !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
enthusiast
enthusiast
Soundtrack, posters, playing cards, additional pawns for DC special edition's boardgame, artwork, source code, bottle of ale, ... I'd love to buy that!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lotrotk
Soundtrack, posters, playing cards, additional pawns for DC special edition's boardgame, artwork, source code, bottle of ale, ... I'd love to buy that!

Me too, but not without ...

... a Jetpack !!
evil

old hand
old hand
Bottle of ale? Ah why not.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Brainer
And... two more)
What about Sleight-of-Hand/Pickpocket stuff? I want to create a Bonnie-Clyde pair)

Most of the people like journal from DD very much. All those "your mum says that you've got wide imagination and deep inner world..." (wrote it as remember, I've played last time kinda 2 or 3 years ago) were incredibly funny. What would we have in D:OS?

ah yes, or the delightfull comment about for example your vitality ( if somebody sneezes in your direction you are at deathc doorstep OR old ladies beat you in arm wrestling ^^)

and just the diary/trophy/map system from the previous games (you know, in one piece) ..if it ain't broken, don't fix it smile

I do wonder how I'm going to keep this up, if it were possible I would buy it NOW!!

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
enthusiast
enthusiast
What about Zombie Jake? He's the kind of symbol)

A
veteran
veteran
A
Zombie & Clyde ?

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
stranger
stranger
Hi there,

I read that Divinity - Original Sin "it’s fully integrated with Steamworks for the cooperative play".
I'm afraid I already know the answer but, to make it sure, will Steam be required to play Divinity - Original Sin?

Thank you!

Support
Support

No, AFAIK Steam will not be required for D:OS. Even Steamworks is not required for local multi-player, just online. FWIW, the Steam release of DKS did not require Steam to play (though until the DRM-free patch was released did use Securom).

Welcome to the forum. wave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard