Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#456399 05/07/12 10:48 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
That seems newer then the GOG one.

Are they the same perhaps, just Steam related things tweaked which made it v1.006a?

Or has GOG been updated to 1.006a?

Or are they different? If so what has been added?

Thanks.

Support
Support

The Steam / Larian Vault release today is a new version.

Lar mentioned in a status update some time ago wanting to release another update for the download version after 1.005A, but finding the backup of the source code was accidentally for the disk version, rather than the download version. Consequently, they had to re-do all the changes to add widescreen and higher resolution support, etc, and added Windows 7 support. There is no list of changes yet, that I've seen, but the configuration program is a mix of the earlier download and disk versions (select resolution, software or Direct3D mode, and a couple other options).

The new version (1.006A) does not run under Win98 (not that that will be a horrible shock to many). The GOG installer requires XP or later, but the game itself (1.005A) was fine in Win98.

There has been no word yet on if or when the GOG version will be updated.

addict
addict
I'm almost certain that the GOG version will be updated at some point.

The question remains whether 1.006a is actually all properly patched up (with old bugs fixed and with the intended changes for digital releases included).

Support
Support

Actually, there will not be an update for the GOG version, but it may get language packs.

stranger
stranger
Why would GOG be left with a broken version? Who's brilliant idea is that?

Larian are going to equivocate and pretend it's a different game?

What kind of policy is that?

You can buy a digital rerelease of DD with widescreen support from steam... whew you got the good version

You can buy a digital rerelease of DD with widescreen support from GOG... haha you got the broken version

Last edited by Robynah; 06/07/12 12:55 AM.
stranger
stranger
Sorry I don't normally get p--d off by such things but this time I do. This is really bad show.

Last edited by Robynah; 06/07/12 12:57 AM.
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Raze just explained that Steam v1.006a is equivalent to GOG v1.005a, except for the fact that Steam v1.006a can't run under Windows 98.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Raze

Actually, there will not be an update for the GOG version, but it may get language packs.

I'm a little confused by this.
I literally bought DD last week on GOG.
So if I want to play with the latest patch, I need to re-purchase the game again, but this time on Steam ?
Is that correct...?

Support
Support

Other than the slightly improved configuration program, I don't know if there is much difference from the GOG version. I have not seen a list of changes or fixes.

stranger
stranger
Ok then I take back my little rant shame

But I am still v confused about this!

old hand
old hand
I can understand your confusion - the version on GOG and the version on Steam are different ports due to an accident at Larian that caused us to lose the source code of the GOG version. It's a pretty stupid thing, but sometimes things go wrong. So to make the Steam version, the port to adapt for Windows 7, had to be redone. Therefore, there's no relation between the GOG version and the Steam version, other than they're based on the same original game.

We're going to look at what issues might appear if we release the Steam version on GOG, and if none show up, we'll make it available there too, just to make future updates easier.

Sorry about the confusion.

Yes, Steam version 1.006a.

I have done the config stuff but except for the resolution had no idea what the other stuff was for. I have clicked what I think make for the best graphics.
I looks fine in game. I think a may try forcing everything of quality from my CCP to see if it can be improved upon.

You could really do with a place on the Steam forums, it would be a better place for fans to help promote the game.

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
stranger
stranger
I was fine with 'rebuying' on gog given that it had been 10 years and the game is pretty much unavailable retail (and do larian even see any money from those?) + extra work done to bring the game 'up to date'.

Suppose from one pov it's not a big deal given how the big publishers behave. I think I was just annoyed as gog are supposed to be 'final versions' + it's more expensive than steam!!

And I forget you guys put out the D2 -> DKS patch which you didn't have to so thanks for that cheer

Last edited by Robynah; 06/07/12 01:42 PM.
old hand
old hand
Thanks - we just updated the Steam version btw, there was a problem with the rabbits. That's one cool thing about Steam as a platform nowadays - the ability to release updates almost immediately the moment you detect a problem.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Paris
You could really do with a place on the Steam forums, it would be a better place for fans to help promote the game.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1475

Tweeting @forktong
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Thanks - we just updated the Steam version btw, there was a problem with the rabbits. That's one cool thing about Steam as a platform nowadays - the ability to release updates almost immediately the moment you detect a problem.

Are the rabbits safe to go near now, or do they still explode?

Thanks for the link Forktong.

Last edited by Paris; 06/07/12 07:16 PM.

When you die is the game suppose to freeze and the only option available is to go back to the main menu?

Support
Support

The game shouldn't freeze; the opponent(s) that killed you can still wander around. In addition to returning to the main menu, you can also hit L or CTRL-L. evil

Originally Posted by Raze

The game shouldn't freeze; the opponent(s) that killed you can still wander around. In addition to returning to the main menu, you can also hit L or CTRL-L. evil

I was killed by the orc looking for Slasher. I dropped dead and then everyone froze, I couldn't do anything but return to the main menu and reload my save.

I will try CTRL-L if it happens again.

Support
Support

Reloading is the only option when you die (there should still be NPC movement on the screen, sound effects, etc). L should open the load save window, and CTRL-L load the most recent quicksave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard