Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
[Skip my rant below if you wish]

Hello, this is my first post on the forums and I must say that I am quite happy to be here. Dragon Commander is most certainly a day one purchase for me - Larian Studios seems to have crafted a quality product. You see I am quite fond of the Mount and Blade series by TaleWorlds what with the ability to engage in tactics and resource management while still being able to jump into combat and thrash the enemy. So I view this as going from Mount and Blade to Wings and Guns.

Moving on to the topic at hand, I was quite surprised when reviewing the lineup of Princesses that would be courting the main character that the Lizard Princess would stick out as a noticeable contender next to the elven princess. Don't get me wrong Lohannah seems an excellent choice considering we start off right next to elven lands and may be forced to dispute their counselor's liberal agenda to get in the good graces of the dwarves but why do I get the feeling she will be picked the most for other... well, reasons?

So I wanted to be unique, if not in my first then second play through, and then I saw the Lizard Princess who has surprisingly human features - perhaps a special strain of lizard kind? I thought it made sense because the Commander turns into a dragon and half the time is covered in scales and claws anyways.

[Rant complete]

On the topic at hand, for real this time, if you look at the image below you will notice the Lizard Princess (name unknown) and her various features. But when you move down to her hips however...

[Linked Image]

Spikes, and lots of them. It looks as though you could skewer yourself just trying to pass her in a crowd let alone, well... you get the picture. Look don't take me for one of those ingrates that wants to use the game as a far flung dating-sim but I just felt this was a fairly obvious issue. There will be those who point out that you can marry a skeleton, and I will point out that close proximity with said skeleton isn't technically lethal to your health.

So what do you guys think, is this a non-issue? On the one hand the spikes don't appear to do anything down there but on the other hand not having them might detract from her character.

Support
Support

If your character is not careful enough, there are always spells and potions for protection and/or healing. evil

Welcome to the forum. wave

veteran
veteran
And there may be some who prefer the "special treatment" from Afrasam's house in Verdistis.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
And there may be some who prefer the "special treatment" from Afrasam's house in Verdistis.

Heuheueheuheueheu

Last edited by Rod Lightning; 09/03/13 07:58 PM.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze

If your character is not careful enough, there are always spells and potions for protection and/or healing. evil

Welcome to the forum. wave

I suppose it is a bit of a none issue - love does find a way I am told. I just think that in most respects such an 'obstacle' would prove detrimental. And thanks for the welcome smile

I don't get it think

old hand
old hand
Why not just marry them all ?

veteran
veteran
That entire post:

[Linked Image]

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
@Kein

It's a legitimate concern about design, don't give me that look.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Fernando
I don't get it think

It is a reference to something in Divine Divinity. Minor spoiler:

If you find the brothel in Verdistis, complete another quest involving an assassin who has a room there (screenshot), and ask the bartender about 'special treatment', you can engage her services (which are somewhat more specialized than the full time employees). After the screen fades to black and comes back, you are in the main brothel room with a few more experience points and only 1 hit point left (presumably at least in part due to the spiky bed).

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thank you for clearing that up, I was googling that sentence for half and hour. The series is more colorful than I had previously thought.

M
addict
addict
M
There is a thing I fear in Dragon Commander, it's the hyper sexualization of the princesses.

The lizard princess is a great example of it, because when I look at the lizard counselor, she really looks like a lizard, like the lizard in Aleroth from Divine Divinity. The princess looks mostly like a human with blue skin and a few added stuff, and not lizard like (she might be half-lizard, or quarter-lizard, but definitely not a full lizard).

When I look at the picture with all the princesses, they are all hyper sexualized.

A link that came up a couple days ago, it's in French but well, larian is in Belgium so most should understand :p
http://cafaitgenre.org/2013/03/16/s...unaute-est-malade-et-comment-y-remedier/
I believe having a couple very sexualized princesses is fine (like the dwarf one), you can do what you want, but all of them ? They are supposed to be a political asset, so they needn't be the most beautiful girl from the country.

PS : I don't agree with all that is on the link, but mostly, they're right.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Can you please post a pic of the dwarf princess or a link haven’t seen her yet?

veteran
veteran
>sexism and sexualization
>this topic again
No corner of the Internet is safe from it, amirite?

veteran
veteran
To be fair, there really is absolutely no reason why the Lizard Princess should have breasts other than "it would make her more attractive to the players".

To be fair, there really is absolutely no reason why the Lizard Princess should have breasts other than "it would make her more attractive to the players".

"And by 'the players' we mean straight men."

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
What if she’s only half lizard? Or maybe they’re fake like the undead one

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by demidevil
What if she’s only half lizard? Or maybe they’re fake like the undead one

Unless you are talking about the Undead Princess' robotic form, the whole Swedish Bar Maid with strapped on apples was thrown out. She now just wears a black robes and tilts her hips. You can check out her concept art as well as the images for her two forms depending on player choices in the story.

I'll admit that mammary glands on a reptile are a tad odd, but if a respected franchise such as the Elder Scrolls can get away with outfitting the argonian ladies in a similar manner then Larian Studios is more than welcome to jump onto the Reptilian Bosom Boat.

And I know, as was earlier pointed out, that the various incarnations of the Princesses (including the fleshy undead one) do seem to be yet more demeaning denominators of how video games portray women. However, it is up to Larian Studios to decide how they want to portray their games - they are the one's employing the artists and calling the shots. The women do not seem to have suffered in character, one reviewer even commented on the dwarven princess' excellent dialogue. I just hope they think more highly of their fans than lonely straight men who want to enjoy a brief power trip with skimpy women and commanding large armies.

thankyou

All that aside, is NO ONE ELSE even remotely concerned about the Lizard Princess' hips? confused

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kein
That entire post:

[Linked Image]

I'm just going to repeat this kind gentleman's input regarding this thread :P

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
Support
Support
To be fair, there really is absolutely no reason why the Lizard Princess should have breasts

Since they are called 'races' it implies humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, imps and lizards can interbreed (at least some of them can, IIRC). There is no reason why Rivellonian lizard people would have to be a direct evolution of Earth lizards, though of course the term race could just be used for them out of respect or convenience (like mages having a representative on the Council of Seven, out of respect and due to having one of the seven gods as a patron, rather than being a separate race).

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Rod Lightning

I'm just going to repeat this kind gentleman's input regarding this thread :P

I seriously just wanted to engender a mature conversation about what I saw as a strange quirk, re-posting that picture is unnecessary. I don't even get the reference...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard