Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Quaxo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I've followed every tutorial I can find from Larian, but there still seems to be something missing from tutorials to setup the toolset.

My data and editor paths are right, the editor seems to open just fine. But when I go to create a new terrain and pick a texture, the terrain shows up blank. I can alter the terrain (I can see in the brush it's changing), but there is no texture.

When choosing a texture, all of the textures in the menu have a red dot next to them. In Larian's twitch tutorial, theirs has this too and it works fine. But in the Youtube tutorial, all the dots are green.

What step am I missing to make this thing work correctly?

stranger
stranger
-Edit-
See below. z_z

Last edited by Vivikain; 04/08/14 07:24 AM.

"Sorrow - How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."
-Vivi
Quaxo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Not as far as I know, and it's done this to me since I got the game on the July 25th. One of the main reasons I got this game was the toolset. Back in the Neverwinter Nights days, it's one of the things I really enjoyed and was looking forward to it, so it was one of the first things I tried that night after I got a feel for the game. Since then, it's been like this.

I undertook a huge project back then, but because of limitations of the NWN toolset, the project got shelved. I'd like to start up again with this toolset because it can handle what I want to do, but so far I've had no luck just creating a basic area because of this problem.

stranger
stranger
-Edit
See below n_n.

Last edited by Vivikain; 04/08/14 07:24 AM.

-Vivi
enthusiast
enthusiast
I tested it too and it worked as it always did.

[Linked Image]
It's a little hard to see in the image, but the selected terrain there is TR_Farmlands_Base. Note, I have the red dots.

As mentioned, I don't think there's been any updates to the Editor recently, so the assumption must be that this is a setting or file issue on the user's end?

Last edited by Noaloha; 04/08/14 07:10 AM.

Escape From Smalcatraz: Steam/Nexus. Forum thread.
stranger
stranger
I'm an idiot, been sick most of the day so ignore my previous posts. OP, if you're not selecting a TR_[]_Base from the Levels folder under Main, it will be blank. Those are the starting terrain bases. You then paint over it with any TR_. That may be your problem. Don't know why I wasn't thinking straight. TR_[]_Base are for starting a terrain. TR_[] are for painting.

-_-;;

Note: The reason it does this is because of how it's utilized. The TR_[]_Base graphics are locked to squares (you'll notice this if you ever try to paint with one).

Note 2: Terrain will also work with certain other graphics NOT labeled as Base, such as Water/Seaplanes (you can't paint with those since most have effects).

If that was your problem, let us know so you can realize your NWN dream mod. If it is something else, then meh. (It's a fairly easy thing to NOT realize as I've been working in the editor for a couple weeks and completely spaced on it and was only reminded when I saw the above post; zZzZZzzz...)

Last edited by Vivikain; 04/08/14 07:28 AM.

-Vivi
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just a thought: can you move your editor camera underneath the terrain and see if it's visible from below? I just noticed that my (working) terrain isn't visible when viewed underneath and I thought if yours is visible then perhaps there's an issue with the terrain defaulting to flipped upside-down

Last edited by Noaloha; 04/08/14 03:12 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I found a peculiar thing in the root templates. Search for DCL_TerrainFix_A. I plonked one down in my level and it just made a big square of brown that matches (or seems to match) the size of my base terrain. If the OP's problem is a genuine bug, maybe the devs encountered it also and this was their temp-fix? Just hypothesising. :P

Quaxo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Vivikain
OP, if you're not selecting a TR_[]_Base from the Levels folder under Main, it will be blank. Those are the starting terrain bases. You then paint over it with any TR_. That may be your problem. Don't know why I wasn't thinking straight. TR_[]_Base are for starting a terrain. TR_[] are for painting.

That's what it was. Working fine now. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Quaxo; 05/08/14 12:18 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard