Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by karlgoran
Is it possible to add this stuff to a mod that's already been made or is it only possible to use if you start from scratch?

You can put it in after. Just put the files where they are supposed to go.

I'd probably backup everything first. And check what you add before you add it.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
ah that's good. I'm unsure what to put in though, i basically want people to attack me if i attack them, have people protect their stuff, have the alignment stuff and combat function properly and the trade stuff work, if that's connected to all of this.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Just copy pasting the mods/playground/story folders gives alot of "TRIGGER_DUMMY_T" "ITEM_DUMMY_I" not defined etc when i build, can i remove those lines of code or is there some folder in the project template that contains those resources?

old hand
old hand
EDIT: Okay I see what it is. Those were placed explicitly to stop those errors. Just create your own in your mod. A box trigger named DUMMY_T and an item named DUMMY_I. Make them global and generate definitions. Errors should clear.

Then at a later time you might end up placing the appropriate triggers for their functionality in the story files. But possibly not since most of them are reffering to specific things like when the trunks yell at the player character from MAIN.

Probably. I wouldn't remove them entirely without knowing what it does though. Perhaps just change what the script is looking for and point at a trigger in your mod.

I would probably take a more nuanced approach. Try adding the GLOBAL rawfiles first. Load the mod, see what breaks and if it's easy to fix.

You could upload your messasgeoutput.txt file from DATA\EDITOR\

Last edited by SniperHF; 12/03/15 07:53 PM.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
It all builds properly now, so that's good. with that said none of the systems seem to be working, if i attack a guy he does nothing and conversations have been screwed up so a bunch of nodes that i haven't put in myself appear, like "what can you tell me about silverglen" and "i'll take my leave". like this:

[Linked Image]

maybe a better approach would be to take the files i have in my mod and put them in the playground project folders instead of the other way around?.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
It seemed to work better when i simply took the files used to create the level and put it in the playgroundf folder. Now i have three playable characters, two that are showing up in the level despite them not being seen as resources in the characters window and then the character i included for my original mod. The combat seem to be working for the "invisible" characters so i figured i use them to continue modding, the problem is though that i only want one character to be playable and i also don't get how they can be in the game without being seen as resources in the game, like this, note that i have one of the characters selected while it's not being shown as a character in the character window.:

[Linked Image]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by karlgoran
It all builds properly now, so that's good. with that said none of the systems seem to be working, if i attack a guy he does nothing

I don't know much about these systems unfortunately. Haven't gotten there yet. Might have something to do with alignments?

and conversations have been screwed up so a bunch of nodes that i haven't put in myself appear, like "what can you tell me about silverglen" and "i'll take my leave". like this:

This sounds like an issue with global or story keywords.
Check these two files:
Story\Keywords\GenericKeyWords.lsx
Story\Keywords\StorykeyWords.lsx

You could also try unchecking "auto import global nodes".

Keep in mind that you still want some of the generickeywords like changesubject and possibly greeting.

old hand
old hand
For the guy not responding to your attacks: is he global? Remember, characters have to be global to interact with the code. Also make sure your player characters are the "Hero" alignment and people you're attacking are Good NPC or Neutral NPC.

I think if you rename your character to not have CYS,LUCS,DAF, etc. in the first part of their name, those keywords won't show up. We need to figure out how to prevent those keywords from showing up.

Not sure why those two extra characters added, but they might be listed under the "global others" in the characters, which you can see by clicking on that silver "O" button on the characters menu (next to the green and purple buttons). You might just be able to delete them, and if any code refers to them, just find and replace all instances of code referring to them and instead have them refer to your character.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I think changing the CYS solved the conversation problem. As for combat not starting when i attack an NPC it seems like any new NPC's that i put into the playground mod remain unresponsive, only the original CYS_NPC reacts when i attack. Is there some sort of setting or script i need attached to any new NPC's for it to work?

ed: this is a problem with the basic project template, i haven't put any of my own mod files into it.

Last edited by karlgoran; 14/03/15 09:40 PM.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
you have this problem as well Sniper?

old hand
old hand
But did you make the new NPCs global? They won't respond to being attacked if they aren't global characters.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Yeah it's global, weird:

[Linked Image]

after being bashed around for a while:

[Linked Image]

old hand
old hand
Did you generate definitions and build the story?

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
no frown man i suck at this. thanks for the help.

old hand
old hand
Lots of little things to keep in mind. Takes a while to get used to. Don't worry, I was frustrated for days about getting people to respond to attacks before Rat realized that you need to make characters global to get them to respond attacks.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
heh good to know that i'm not alone at doing stuff like that smile.

ed2: just removing auto-import global nodes solved the issue with the conversations.

Last edited by karlgoran; 17/03/15 02:33 AM.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I've been having trouble lately with conversations, when i try to end a conversation it gets stuck. I'm thinking this might have something to do with the project template, any ideas?

old hand
old hand
Do you have a conditional statement somewhere starting a second dialog?

The template has MAIN's dialog functionality for global character dialog so if you are duplicating that effect by starting dialog the way most of the tutorials around here say to do it,that could be causing your problem.

Last edited by SniperHF; 23/03/15 12:47 PM.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Yeah i'm using this:

IF
DialogStartRequested(CHARACTER_Gothard,CHARACTER_Player1)
THEN
DialogStartTwoSpeakerDialog("gothardavmelse",CHARACTER_Gothard,CHARACTER_Player1);

Is there another way to get dialog to work with global characters without using that code?

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Dialog really only gets stuck for one reason: You haven't "ended" it and it has nowhere to go.

Make sure you tick the "End Dialog" box in the editor for your conversations when you want dialog to terminate. The game will freeze as soon as you you try to end it otherwise.

Aside from that, if it's freezing in mid-conversation: Make sure you've pushed the correct dialog options for the player to use. I don't know how many times I've written an entire dialog tree and then forgot to give the player access to the options I'd wrote.

Edit:
Also, if your game is going to be two players you might want to consider turning this:

IF
DialogStartRequested(CHARACTER_Gothard,CHARACTER_Player1)
THEN
DialogStartTwoSpeakerDialog("gothardavmelse",CHARACTER_Gothard,CHARACTER_Player1);

Into this:

IF
DialogStartRequested(CHARACTER_Gothard,_Player)
THEN
DialogStartTwoSpeakerDialog("gothardavmelse",CHARACTER_Gothard,_Player);

That simple little change from CHARACTER_PLayer1 to _Player will let either character start dialog with your NPCs.

Last edited by Burgee; 23/03/15 01:53 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard