Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
addict
addict
N
No, the default options are OK for both import and export (at least in 2.77)

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
A bit of experimentation later (and a quick upgrade to 2.78... which promptly ate all my settings. Bah.) and the EE GR2 files' UVs are loading fine (although I had to invert the Y-axis of at least one of them), but the D:OS II ones seem to be missing them. I admit it may be just a little unreasonable of me to expect everything to just magically work at such an early stage so just put it down to my curiosity getting the better of me! smile

J'aime le fromage.
N
addict
addict
N
Hrm, which D:OS 2 files are we talking about specifically? I checked a few character body parts and the UVs seemed fine.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
One example is Humans_Female_Armor_Mage_B_Lowerbody_A.GR2, though none of those I've tried seem to have UVs. I think I'm currently using the latest version of the exporter, so that shouldn't be the problem, though I certainly won't rule out the possibility that I'm doing something wrong. That said, the D:OS EE GR2s I've imported do seem to have their UVs in place.

As I mentioned, at this point it's just a curiosity thing: ideally what I'd like to do is what Larian will do in due course which is to fill in the waist gap present in that mesh, but I have absolutely no idea at all how I'd go about adding weights to new vertices (okay, I know how to do weight-painting in Blender v2.49, but I'm very bad at it).

J'aime le fromage.
N
addict
addict
N

Last edited by Norbyte; 24/09/17 03:04 PM. Reason: Update link to latest ver
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
That works better, but in multipart meshes it's only importing some of the UV's, such as with Humans_Female_Armor_Mage_B_Lowerbody_A.GR2; same with a couple of others that I looked at. I'm not sure if it's failing to import the last mesh or if it's something to do with it being a skin texture. The UVs are also being inverted and slightly offset on the Y-axis too.

I'm still not ruling out that it's something I'm doing. If there's a wrong way of doing it, I'll find it.

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think I've spotted the problem with the missing UVs: the one thing they seem to have in common is very, very long object names which Blender is truncating. I'm not sure if there's really much that can be done about that, unless the exporter can check for excessively long strings and rename them, though I guess that would probably be inviting other problems elsewhere...

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Figured out a temporary work-around upon discovering that DAE files are plantext so "yay I can use vi to do my 3D modelling!" or rather I can edit it to temporarily rename the UV name to something shorter. So that now works. Also my complaining about the inverted UV map looks to be a bit of a red herring in practice as, although the image is upside-down in Blender, it effectively reinverts it on output so it looks fine in game. It just makes editing a bit fiddly.

One thing that continues to confound me is that the mesh is no longer coming out smooth once Blender's had its hands on it: it looks like I've done a "faces->set solid" and no amount of attempting to get smooth outlines (set smooth, auto smooth, convert to quads etc) will make any difference. A bit of Googling suggests this is likely a problem with Blender's export function so I'm not sure if there's anything the Exporter can do about it, but if there's any suggestions... Edit: actually, remove doubles fixed it. Probably obvious to everyone else, so everyone else is welcome to lol at the noob. biggrin

Last edited by vometia; 11/10/16 09:51 AM.

J'aime le fromage.
N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by vometia
I think I've spotted the problem with the missing UVs: the one thing they seem to have in common is very, very long object names which Blender is truncating.

Blender has a name length limit of 63 chars (which is looow), so a rename is probably needed.
Some of them can be renamed, however the Model/Bone names cannot be changed as they must use exactly the same as the original file; otherwise D:OS won't load them.

Also my complaining about the inverted UV map looks to be a bit of a red herring in practice as, although the image is upside-down in Blender, it effectively reinverts it on output so it looks fine in game. It just makes editing a bit fiddly.

Yeah, that seems to be a Blender-specific thing, as I'm exporting the UV values 1:1 as they are in the GR2 file.

One thing that continues to confound me is that the mesh is no longer coming out smooth once Blender's had its hands on it: it looks like I've done a "faces->set solid" and no amount of attempting to get smooth outlines (set smooth, auto smooth, convert to quads etc) will make any difference. A bit of Googling suggests this is likely a problem with Blender's export function so I'm not sure if there's anything the Exporter can do about it, but if there's any suggestions... Edit: actually, remove doubles fixed it. Probably obvious to everyone else, so everyone else is welcome to lol at the noob. biggrin

GR2 doesn't support stuff like smoothing groups or co., so this only causes problems in practice if vertices are duplicated in the output file.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I know where I'm at now then: which is that the Exporter is doing exactly as intended and Blender has a couple of quirks to work around, which is as things always were! But it's definitely workable: inverting a temporary dds and putting it in a more convenient directory isn't a major chore and using a text editor to substitute to and from a temporary string isn't a deal-breaker.

So I find that at alpha stage, I can extract meshes, edit them, add and remove bits, re-weigh them, re-import them and have them appear correctly in game. I am seriously rather impressed and if I were currently wearing my hat I would take it off to you. But sadly, the cat has been sleeping on it. Consider me hatless anyway.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
Investigating gr2 files from Sacred 2 (v2.7.0.30) lead me to believe that I can't see all ExtendedData in GrannyViewer. Specifically user defined structures. I don't have the structure definition of that data, and I thought maybe you can help out a little. Thanks in advance :-)

(example gr2 sent by PM)

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I could never get Sacred 2's GR2 files to do anything interesting: it seems they need a utility to convert them to and from an application like Blender or whatever. Though I admit I haven't actually attempted to use this particular approach on them, which may or may not bear some fruit: for example, I used Oblivion's usual modding tools to edit Ego Draconis' models and textures, though it did require quite a lot of additional faffing about to get them to work.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger

N
addict
addict
N
(For the sake of completeness I've added a copy of my PM here as well.)
Hi,

I've implemented my own GR2 reader to make sure that the tool is as free of patents (and as legal) as possible. It currently only requires granny2.dll for Oodle0/Oodle1 (de)compression (which is only used by ~0.5% of Divinity 1/2 assets). It targets Granny version 2.8.49 though, and is not really meant to read customized formats of other games, so it fails to read the example file you provided. I'll check what can be done to make it work.

The code for reading GR2 files is available here:
https://github.com/Norbyte/lslib/tree/master/LSLib/Granny/GR2

stranger
stranger
Wow, thanks a lot!

stranger
stranger
If someone can help or know smt about textures & meshes in DOEE: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=606202#Post606202 please visit this theme

Last edited by Nazar; 10/07/17 10:13 AM.
eRe4s3r Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So I feel the need to post here the link to the current up-to-date link/topic by Norbyte for the unpacker, since I get asked this now a bit too much for my taste (once, that is ;p)

So you want the latest unpacker, you click on norbyte and find his latest posts (requires you to be logged in here), or you go here

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=619296
And find the latest link

I can not edit the first post in the topic so this is my fix for this wink When I wrote this I completely forgot that Larian uses the *worst* of the forum software packages available.... oh well wink

In fact, I would kindly request for this topic here to be closed, or even entirely deleted. As it is highly misleading nowadays ;P

Ps.: The reason I bring this up is that this topic comes up first in google. Since I got no clue who moderates here I hope a mod notices this ;P

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 24/09/17 12:02 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
Also, since old (and possibly broken) versions are being linked to all the time I've added a "latest" URL that links to the latest stable version:
https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/nb-stor/dos/ExportTool/ExportTool-latest.zip

I've tried to update my posts to reflect this change, but only posts in the last ~1 year or so could be modified.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
In fact, I would kindly request for this topic here to be closed, or even entirely deleted. As it is highly misleading nowadays ;P

Ps.: The reason I bring this up is that this topic comes up first in google. Since I got no clue who moderates here I hope a mod notices this ;P

Argh, sorry it's taken me almost a week to notice! Locked as requested; PM me if you need anything else (er, I mean other than a forum upgrade, I can't quite manage that. biggrin )

J'aime le fromage.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard