Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The other places bit is starting to get a bit gnarly: I just don't know! I think we can at least have a fairly reasonable idea of the locations of Ego Draconis in relation to the original DD map (I think Farglow is somewhere we didn't mention, which would be somewhere further inland of the Fjords towards Aleroth, probably; and we've hazarded a guess as to where the D:OS map may be located, but other bits I suspect are yet to be revealed.

Actually one thing I did wonder about is the possible proximity of Fort Joy to Cyseal on the basis of its architecture (well, inasmuch as we can tell from some ruins) and that it was Braccus' playground. I guess that really depends on the size of Braccus' kingdom (or empire) though, and whether or not he preferred to remain around his seat of power. But I think that's a starting point and it would fit in with your theory that Fort Joy is at a more southerly latitude (that is of course assuming that the bit of Rivellon we're familiar with is in its world's northern hemisphere, unlike e.g. Thedas where all the game world we've seen so far is in its southern hemisphere) but I think we can probably take that for granted as Yuthul Gor, the hot and arid bit, is to the south.

I'm still working on the basis of the places we've seen so far being on the same continent, which is possibly a bit naive considering the dimension-hopping we've already seen in the series, but it works for me. I suspect some of the places mentioned so far in D:OS2 may be further afield, though I'd guess Arx may be intended to be in familiar territory.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Farglow is noted on the sketch now.
I believe that Arx is located on the same coastline as Cyseal but thats just my mind.
In OS2 Saheila and Amyro talk about their home "shoulder". Since they beg the player to bring saheilas amulet there, I think thats also a place to visit.

If I remember correctly Ifan comes from Hunters Edge, also a coastal area. But I can be horribly wrong.
I need to test that in the game soon. I just believe to remember stuff like that.

On the sketch I will draw Fort Joy Island near the coast of Cyseal, perhaps to the southwest of it.

Originally Posted by vometia

I'm still working on the basis of the places we've seen so far being on the same continent, which is possibly a bit naive considering the dimension-hopping we've already seen in the series, but it works for me. I suspect some of the places mentioned so far in D:OS2 may be further afield, though I'd guess Arx may be intended to be in familiar territory.

On what are you working exactly? I might not have understood that correctly^^

Last edited by RenWex; 16/04/17 08:53 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm working purely on a hunch! It has absolutely no substantiation behind it at all other than Arx seeming like it may be familiar to us and Shoulder less so, but both are very arguable. I think if I had to commit myself to just one thing from D:OS2, it would be the theory that Fort Joy may have some proximity to Cyseal.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well it might be very speculative....

But when I went through the main menu of OS2 I saw this image of a Harbour Area:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....C7C354BF5E6A1DD7210E4F5997A0093B8BEDE07/

Could this be the place the party is heading to after Fort Joy? Is it perhaps Arx?
In any case this gives us a peak into the architectural style of atleast one place in the OS2 World.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
That's quite interesting. Wherever it is, we can see it's probably a fairly lowland area unlike Cyseal and the Fjords where cliffs seem to dominate, so maybe it isn't necessarily along the west coast of the usual landmass.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
While the scene on the screen seems to be uncomplete (white background at some places)
We cannot determine th geographical situation at all, except that it is coastal^^.
The Area that is covered by the two buildings seems to be around the size of the harbour area of cyseal.
If there will be a more complete map we could see more buildings on a flat area or perhaps a rocky elevation....

It might be just some asthetic thing but when you switch from main menu to options and vice versa you can see that the secene with the fortress and the statue of the main menu is divided just by some big rocks which lets me conclude that these two scenes could actually be one area although I dont really believe in this since it seems that both areas are viewed from different perspectives (camera angle and height in this case).

Last edited by RenWex; 17/04/17 10:55 AM.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Okay I did some quite big steps now and granted me a good amount of artistic freedom.
I defined the coastline more precisely and took reference from all the maps that we have from the game series.
I used the maps to define riverflows and also started to define baseheight of the land.
Here you can see this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy19rgmuv9viep6/Sketch4.png?dl=0
I decided to go with a topographic mapstyle at first for having a base to work with.
When the heights are done, I will go over to the terrain composition (mountains, hills, plains, farmlands, forests)
You are welcome to give me some feedback on this fourth sketch.

Last edited by RenWex; 17/04/17 02:29 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Blimey! That's some quite serious work. If they still haven't decided on a map, maybe they should use yours. biggrin

It is giving me slight flashbacks to the time I spent joining and mapping various provinces in Oblivion, though: perhaps not that intimidating a job in itself, at least for somebody who knows what they're doing; but it's a skill of which I had no knowledge or experience. My head hurt quite a lot afterwards.

I'm also just thinking with some amusement that one of the main features of Rivertown was the absence of any river in its general area, so that's something to bear in mind when compiling the map!

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Here comes sketch Nr. 5!

- Oceanlevels have been adjusted
- mountain ranges have been advanced quite a bit.
- the overall map has much more depth now
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfepjvy5hdejnhs/Sketch5.png?dl=0

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm impressed, and it's actually making a lot of sense as far as I'm concerned.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Thank you very much for your positive reaction! ^^
I am starting to like that landmass either! I wonder what some of the larians would say to this.
Well until one of them does react, I have no choice but to work on the map further! laugh

RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Now I've got a terrain update although the heightmap isn't finished, so keep that in mind!^^

This new sketch covers settlements, forests, wastelands/deserts, hilly/mountainous areas, coastline

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s02skswp73vpg0/Sketch6.png?dl=0

This terrainsketch must not be mistaken to be the heightmap!
Everything here is partially only based on terrein and not height, except the mountains themselfs.

old hand
old hand
Very nice, though I'm a bit confused about which settlements are what. Bottom left is Fort Joy and Cyseal right? Is that little red dot just northeast of cyseal Silverglen? And above that the dark forest town? If so, seems like that area should be forested.

Also my impression is that while Fort Joy is probably fairly near Cyseal, I don't know if it would be THAT close. I base this mostly on the feeling that I don't think we'll be returning to Cyseal, and that would the obvious place to escape to from Fort Joy. Then again, it could be crawling with magisters and we could sail north or south along the coast to some other city I suppose.

There's little way to say for certain where anything really is in relation to each other, except areas within one game. So basically I wouldn't put to much faith into the notion that we can really "accurately" map Rivellon. But an interpretation like this is satisfying nonetheless.

Last edited by Baardvark; 17/04/17 07:05 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think the map is looking really good so far. I think my only reservation is that I think that the corner with Cyseal should perhaps be somewhat larger: I'm not totally sure it's to scale, though I could be wrong.

It's good to see the location of the settlements, that really helps a lot with visualising things.

And Baardvark, you may well be correct about Fort Joy's proximity, but from the general feel of the place, the ruins as well as Braccus' presence, I think it's in the right general location. The matter of game worlds and scaling is always a bit of a knotty subject.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Of course this can never be an exact map with all the places officially mapped.
This is my interpretation of how rivellon could look like.

To the size of cyseal:
I took several maps as referencepoints and scaled down the map of cyseal so that its buildings have around the size that the buildings of the ferol overview map have. So in terms of scale they should fit well^^

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by RenWex
To the size of cyseal:
I took several maps as referencepoints and scaled down the map of cyseal so that its buildings have around the size that the buildings of the ferol overview map have. So in terms of scale they should fit well^^

In which case I apologise for being so presumptuous! I think you actually taking the time to measure it trumps my vague idea that it might look bigger. biggrin

As much as it's based on guesswork, it's really nice being able to look at a map and see where everything might be. Especially as I tend to completely wrongly remember the Broken Valley area: I obviously need a map.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Regarding to the broken valley there is much to be done so please hold still your remembering and dont throw it away! laugh
The most of the work was focused on the heartlands and the soutern coast so far.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
No, you really don't want whatever is in my mind, for some reason I always seem to remember it upside down!

One thing I've always been intrigued about is the structure above the Champions' harbour: it appears to have either a road or possibly even a route for zeppelins. I'm guessing it's a quicker route to Aleroth without going all the way round the fjords, though I suppose it could even be related to the Council of Seven's citadel thing as that might also be in the general area.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by vometia

One thing I've always been intrigued about is the structure above the Champions' harbour: it appears to have either a road or possibly even a route for zeppelins. I'm guessing it's a quicker route to Aleroth without going all the way round the fjords, though I suppose it could even be related to the Council of Seven's citadel thing as that might also be in the general area.

Well since we can't know that we can only guess, and if we have to guess we have artistic freedom! hehe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcw21pv2svu92uw/Sketch7.png?dl=0
I made some progress again today. This time I focused more on the southern fjords and the coastal area in general.
Again, with much freedom I granted to myself^^ (as kinda most of the time)

Last edited by RenWex; 18/04/17 06:24 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard