Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vivalafai
Usually I'm a bit shy suggesting skills and talents, since I find it so difficult to balance these things on paper without knowing so many other factors like enemy AI, health, armor, etc, but here are a few things I've been thinking:

There should be a Purist talent for each school. The requirement is that you can only have points into ONE school. As it stands, hybrid builds (especially with all this memory) are extremely easy to pull off and seem to have no drawbacks. Maybe that's okay, I'm actually a huge fan of this kind of flexibility, but I also think it would be really interesting to give people some real incentive to become a Purist.

What do you guys think of this and what should the talent actually DO? How punitive is drawback of being restricted to one school and what is the best way to balance this? I'm thinking there should be a Purist flavor for each class, but for programming purposes, it might be easier to have one Purist talent that applies buffs to the attributes the school already modifies. For example, at lvl 5 Hydro, Putting a talent point into Purist gives 15% more healing and 15% more magic armor. Something like that.

____

The second idea has to do with Pain Reflection. I really like the idea of also reflecting CC (which of course would only be effective if the enemy has 0 armor of whatever type). Maybe at lvl 5 Pain Reflection you could have the option of becoming an Elemental Mirror (better names are welcome).
_____

Along these lines, I think it would be interesting to have some skills or talents that change incoming physical damage to magic or vice versa. Maybe something like:

Internal Balance: 50% of physical damage received is converted to magic damage and 50% of magic damage received is converted to physical damage.

or maybe something more interesting...I'd love to hear more ideas.

Internal Balance is interesting, potentially very good on a tank. CC reflection sounds way too good, more like a skill, but perhaps has some limitation (not sure if just making it a 20-25% chance to proc would make it acceptable as a talent).

I like the concept of purist, though maybe it should only affect mages, which are almost required to take multiple trees. Warfare/Rogue/Rangers on the other hand are very self-sufficient and it's not all that much of a sacrifice to stay pure with them. I think these should be powerful, unique effects that expand your gameplay rather than being some number increase, since you're limiting your options a great deal.

Purist Ideas:

Pyro Purist: X% chance your applications of burning will pierce magic armor. Each enemy you have burning boosts your run speed by 5%, granting +1 AP if 5+ enemies are burning. (A bit much for a talent, prolly, but is fun)

Hydro: The more you heal and boost magic armor, the more water damage you deal (up to 30-40% increase maybe)

Geomancer: Earth damage leeches some physical armor and gives it to you, and poison leeches some magical armor

Aerothurge: Immunity to stun and electrified surfaces heal your magic armor and you get a 25-35% run speed boost while on these surfaces

Polymorph: Each transformation lasts 1 extra turn (Stabbey I think suggested this earlier, but its more reasonable in the context of a pure polymorpher)

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
Regardin the fact, that surfaces themselves deal hardly any damage, except if you can blow them up, I would say 75% damage increase would be far to much. Also each skill would need and estimate for created surface in their description? Also most surfaces don't deal damage at all: ice/water/blood. And how would it work for air? Air itself does not create surfaces, but it affects 'surfaces' if they are water, blood or steam.

Numbers can be tweaked, maybe a 40% damage boost? (25% would be too low.)

As for Air, hmmm... well since air does not CREATE surfaces, then naturally Air is neither affected by the penalty nor gains anything from the bonus.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
We have a release date for the game now. Between 5 and 7 of the skill schools are magic oriented. 7 out of 10 total skill schools are magic oriented.

Here is the total list of Talents intended for magic-users:

Demon - Mediocre, because game balance dictates that there should be a reasonably even distribution of magic damage types, so the amount of damage you save from one source is basically countered by the amount of damage you receive from its opposing source.

Elemental Affinity - Better than it used to be because armor means you can stand in surfaces with less risk, but even so, you still don't want to stand in most surfaces much.

Far Out Man - Good Talent. An extra 2m range is quite helpful.

Ice King - Mediocre. See Demon.

Mnemnonic - Okay, since mages are more likely to need as much memory as possible. This is more of a generalist since mage-specific, though.

Pet Pal - Because all the other classes reserve their Talent points for better Talents. Mages don't have much to pick from, so they'll be the ones taking this most of the time.

Savage Sortilege - I honestly can't get a handle on how well this is because the base critical chance is so low as it is. Cutting it in half? This is something which is only good much later once you have a lot of critical chance, and that's IF you get critical chance at all.

So that's seven mage-specific Talents, using a charitable definition of "mage-specific", and of those 7, two are a wash in terms of use, and two more are mediocre.

And I haven't even talked about how Bigger and Better is literally garbage which was carried over with ZERO THOUGHT from D:OS 1. 1 attribute point for one Talent point? In a game where you get 10 attribute points to start and 2 per level instead of 0.5 per level.

Come on, Larian, wake up. The clock is ticking.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Demon and Ice King are basically like taking no Talents at all, the effects balance each other out. A criticism of these Talents has been one of the most central messages of this thread and other such threads for many months now. If anything gets changed about Talents, *these ought to*.

enthusiast
enthusiast
They did change comeback kid percentage to 20% XD but yeah its an improvements on DOS EE/classic talents but at the same time alot of talents got removed thanks to the change in mechanics and it feels alot more limited because of that.

Last edited by Bullethose; 25/05/17 01:20 PM.

Rogues are the best
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Guerrilla - (Optional?) Requires Scoundrel 2
Increases damage done with Basic Attacks while sneaking or invisible by 50%. You can now sneak at full movement speed.

Another idea I had for tweaking Guerrilla. In addition to letting you Sneak at full speed, the old bonus of +50% damage while sneaking has been restored, but ONLY for basic attacks, not skills. That means Guerrilla will have no effect on the damage of Mortal Blow or Snipe.

EDIT: Good suggestion from gGeo.

Last edited by Stabbey; 26/05/17 02:28 AM. Reason: Good suggestion from gGeo.
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Increases damage done with Basic Attacks while sneaking by 50%. You can now sneak at full movement speed.

Another idea I had for tweaking Guerrilla. In addition to letting you Sneak at full speed, the old bonus of +50% damage while sneaking has been restored, but ONLY for basic attacks, not skills. That means Guerrilla will have no effect on the damage of Mortal Blow or Snipe.
Increases damage done with Basic Attacks while sneaking or invisible by 50%. You can now sneak at full movement speed.

Last edited by gGeo; 26/05/17 02:14 AM.
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by gGeo

Oh right. Good idea.

While I'm here, I'll throw in a suggestion for the Undead Racial Talent:

Resilient Body
Gain 5 Physical armor per level.

It's not a large amount, but it adds up. At level 30 that's an extra 150 armor. Numbers can be adjusted as needed, but that seems like an okay starting point for theorycrafting. If 5 is too small, I think it could go as high as 8 armor per level.

Lore-wise it makes sense since Undead don't have all them functioning vital organs which living folks need. Maybe even toss in "Immune to Bleeding" and possibly "Immune to Poison" as well.

Last edited by Stabbey; 26/05/17 03:08 PM. Reason: 5 to 8
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Oh right. Good idea.

While I'm here, I'll throw in a suggestion for the Undead Racial Talent:

Resilient Body
Gain 5 Physical armor per level.

It's not a large amount, but it adds up. At level 30 that's an extra 150 armor. Numbers can be adjusted as needed, but that seems like an okay starting point for theorycrafting.

Lore-wise it makes sense since Undead don't have all them functioning vital organs which living folks need. Maybe even toss in "Immune to Bleeding" and possibly "Immune to Poison" as well.

I like your idea for the undead racial, that actually sounds really good!

stranger
stranger
Stomp on the ground
Moving clears a small area of non-cursed surfaces after they interact with you.

The idea would be to create a "trail" after the first character moves through a surface. Would not work with levitate/spread your wings, and the "trail" would be roughly the size of a player character. Could also be used to separate surfaces that touch each other to have more control over surface interaction for melee characters. Could come with a negative that either makes you take more damage from said surfaces or something, along with only working on fire/poison instead of working on water/blood etc. (Also probably wont work in any iteration for Lava/Source surfaces, or clouds for that matter)

Spell Sword
Physical melee attacks deals additional elemental damage based on the oldest elemental status effect the target is afflicted with, this damage scales with intelligence (and level?).

I always felt like the battlemage preset could use something that made it a bit more interesting and not make splitting your stats feel too awful. This way you can get a bonus that you can kind of control with yourself or your allies - and since some status effects like frozen reduces water resistance, It would synergize with itself. But also it creates this strategy of using elemental spells before physical attacks on enemies like undead that bleed poison to make sure you don't heal them with said attacks, It could also be a negative against enemies with innate burning that heals through burning or similar things. This also makes battle mages have an additional source of magical damage on attacks other than whatever element the weapons happen to have.
This is just the idea - I'm not sure what numbers these attacks would deal.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Unarmored: when one of your armors (phys/magic) gets depleted the next status(EVERY TYPE OF STATUS) afflicted to you is negated
This one is so variable i don't know how good it would be the one glaring weakness i see is when there is a surface underneath you when this activates which would reapply the status the next turn. The major strength being that physical statuses are so powerful ignoring them might be overpowered. Im unsure but provide feedback on this one please.

Armored: Gain 5% physical armor for every point in warfare
Really self explanatory its more useful than picture of health (+3% vit per level of warfare) but it would only really be useful later on

Last edited by Bullethose; 27/05/17 09:42 PM.

Rogues are the best
enthusiast
enthusiast
A change to guerilla i just thought up
Guerilla: Sneak attacks with ranged weapons and spells (This includes weapon skills) do 20% damage but Basic melee attacks do 40% damage

Rogues are the best
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard