Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Will it be possible for owners of D:OS2 on GOG to download Steam Workshop content if they add their game to steam, asuming it will be possible for them to do so to begin with?

If not, how will I be able to get the content I create to the player in my group that insisted on getting the game through GOG instead of through steam like the rest of the group?

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
old hand
old hand
I dunno if a GOG game can be added to steam to access the workshop. But you could always just manually send the mods to your friend. Also there's Nexus.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Baardvark
I dunno if a GOG game can be added to steam to access the workshop. But you could always just manually send the mods to your friend. Also there's Nexus.

That is exactly what I am hoping to avoid.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
T
addict
addict
T
Steam Workshop connectivity is provided by the Steam framework, not by the game. So when not using the game in combination with Steam, you will have to manually install mods.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Steam Workshop connectivity is provided by the Steam framework, not by the game. So when not using the game in combination with Steam, you will have to manually install mods.

Meh.
Guess, I'll be uploading to Nexus as well then.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I've always found Nexus to be mostly agreeable, but I guess we all have our preferences: I'm not a fan of Steam, for instance. If it's just going to one or two people I'll just upload it to some private folder somewhere, though.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Steam would simply be the easiest for me as uploading to the workshop will be integrated in the editor (right?) and I would like to avoid having to upload something twice as my upload speed isn't that great.
I'll am planning on building quite a few areas/levels for use in GM mode and some of them will be pretty big.
Judging on tests with the D:OS1 EE editor file size seem to be rather acceptable though.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Other games I've modded have had splintered modding communities due to this. Steam Workshop almost always gets more mod uploads than the alternatives.

In my opinion the Steam Workshop is the superior solution. It allows subscribers of your mods to get automatic updates, for example.

old hand
old hand
Nexus has quite a bit more mods than does the workshop for D:OS 1 but that has more to do with the nature of the game than the community.

Hopefully modders figure out how to package their minor graphics mods and such properly in the editor so they can be on the workshop as well. Unfortunately in the 1 editor that is quite fiddly to do, thus none of them are on the workshop.

enthusiast
enthusiast
While the convenience of Steam Workshop mods auto-updating is nice, I've also had some issues with it where it continues to download mods for games I no longer have installed, so Nexus is nice for a more "manual control" approach for mods. Also, managing dozens of mods and sharing those mods with friends can be quite cumbersome with the Steam Workshop.

Despite all that, I think the Nexus and Workshop can co-exist, since the Nexus is nice for finer control over your mods, and the Workshop works well with a "subscribe and forget" mentality.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I just thought up a horror scenario.

Will a player with the game on GOG and a mod from Nexus be able to join my steam game with the exact same mod from the workshop?

Please let the answer be yes!

Or will the game be a "different version" and therefor be uncompatable?

Last edited by Redunzgofasta; 27/08/17 07:23 AM.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Assuming DOS works like most other games, yes they will (which I assume because Larian is much more competent than say... nSpace). I'm assuming we have a mod directory or config file that the game is checking for compatibility.

old hand
old hand
Just confirming what MH said, yes it works. I've done it many times.

When I published mods to both, what I do is first make the steam workshop version and "PAK" it on the upload screen. What that does is save a .pak file in your My Docs folder and uploads it to Steam. I just take the .pak file it generated from the folder and ZIP it myself manually and upload it to nexus. It's 100% the same file.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks guys.
I am having sweet dreams again. The nightmares are gone thankyou

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Due to the sheer convenience and ease of use of Steam, I'll probably publish all of my mods there. That said, I don't mind if people who enjoy my mods upload them to nexus, as long as they give me due credit.

GMAddon1: Adds almost every single monster and NPC from the main campaign into GM mode, plus a few large custom maps to use in GM mode.
M
stranger
stranger
M
I for one look forward to quick, easy, drop-in access to all your gorgeous maps, Red. <3

apprentice
apprentice
Steam Workshop might be convenient, for you.
It's not for GOG users.
Repacking a mod is as simple as making it into an archive.

Also those that detest the very basic nature of the Workshop, and it's forced auto updates constantly breaking carefully created mod setups, for many games Which makes the entire system a pain in the arse, best avoided.

Simple fact is, all the Workshop does is download a specific set of files to one folder. A separate Mod Management system is needed, to use them correctly, and if the mods don't use that one folder, they won't work with Workshop.

Often those files are restricted to certain prepacked files.
ESP, and BSA for Skyrim, and is DOS EE just PAK files?
Can't check myself, as the Workshop's currently broken.

Nexus is a dedicated Host, and uploading a mod there takes a small effort, making a description. The Workshop/ReadMe info can be copied. Or a very fancy one created.

Regardless, there's plenty of file hosts, like Mega.nz that can be used with just an upload.

I'm capable of converting any Workshop mod to a normal mod for any game, and I'm pretty certain I don't need that game on Steam, to do that, but I can't confirm that whilst it's down.

Many mod users, aren't as skilled as me, and need the mod repackaged for them.

I would urgre you all to consider those not wanting, or not able to use the Workshop. Please upload an archive version somewhere else, and NexusMods is the most user friendly option.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter777
Due to the sheer convenience and ease of use of Steam, I'll probably publish all of my mods there. That said, I don't mind if people who enjoy my mods upload them to nexus, as long as they give me due credit.
So I (and all other GOG purchasers) will not see them then unless someone else uploads them to Nexus for you.

Seems a rather odd way of doing things but they are your mods of course.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by lx07
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter777
So I (and all other GOG purchasers) will not see them then unless someone else uploads them to Nexus for you.

What is odd about that?
The only reason I (probably) will also upload to Nexus is because one of my players wanted the game on GoG.
I will be building stuff because I want to and want to use it myself, not because I have a desire to cater to the community.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
It's odd to complain about how people making free content I'm their own time and dime choose to upload it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by lx07

You might be surprised how much time can get eaten up quickly when trying to support or maintain something you make available to a large community. I can understand why modders would want to limit it.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
stranger
stranger
I don't know if linking external websites is allowed in the forums, but... I think GOG players can just use this: http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/ (Steam Workshop Downloader) to manually sync their mods with Steam players.

I've used it to install Workshop Skyrim mods via Nexus Mod Manager and it works like a charm. Problem solved, I guess?

Nonetheless, I'm still deciding where to buy the game. I'll probably get it on GOG, but that's just because of personal preference in their business policies.

Support
Support

Links are allowed, but UBBCode is disabled for new accounts (anti-spam measure).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why, Larian? Why? Q_Q

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Luckmann; 17/09/17 03:48 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Tried the Downloader it doesn't work

stranger
stranger
That was.... Unexpected... I hope it's just some switch Larian can flip what is preventing us from downloading the mods. Otherwise we are stuck bugging every developer to post their mod on the Nexus or we are missing half of them. 😪

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Redunzgofasta
I just thought up a horror scenario.

Will a player with the game on GOG and a mod from Nexus be able to join my steam game with the exact same mod from the workshop?

Please let the answer be yes!

Or will the game be a "different version" and therefor be uncompatable?

The answer is basically YES.

GOG may take a little time (Usually in Hours, not days) to make the offline installers, once Galaxy gets the update, but other than that same game versions are the norm.

As far as mods go, it should make no difference, they are the same mod, just located in different folders.

No sure how Steam does it, with DOS but every Steam Workshop game I've used, has a Steam GameID number as a folder, and a ModID Number as the mod folder.
..\Steam\SteamApps\Workshop\Content\{GameID Number}\{ModID Number)\
Assuming the normal Workshop setup, this is Clean Hotbars mod
..\Steam\SteamApps\Workshop\Content\435150\1135790676\

GOG
Assuming it's not changed from the Alpha, the Steam mods would go in your user documents folder, that's it.
..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2\Mods\

That's it for Steam mods.

The other location used, for mods not packaged for Steam is in the games folder.
..\Divinity - Original Sin II (GOG)\Data\Public\

A Mods folder also existed for DOS EE, if that still works
..\Divinity - Original Sin II (GOG)\Data\Mods\

Plus you can always overwrite the files directly, as with any game
..\Divinity - Original Sin II (GOG)\Data\

Game runs in memory, not on drives
The essential part though is as long as the mods contents are the same in both games, and used in both games, it won't make any difference where the folders are, as the games running in memory.

Same content running = same game, whether on Steam or not.

Last edited by Uhuru NUru; 17/09/17 04:42 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Redunzgofasta
Will it be possible for owners of D:OS2 on GOG to download Steam Workshop content if they add their game to steam, asuming it will be possible for them to do so to begin with?

If not, how will I be able to get the content I create to the player in my group that insisted on getting the game through GOG instead of through steam like the rest of the group?

No, tried that as well.

I trred every trick I know, and I know them all.

I'm someone that never uses the Workshop, but often downloads mods to convert them to non workshop mods, even for games I own on Steam.

I've done this ever since the Workshop launched with Skyrim.
I can even download Skyrim mods without the game installed.
Which Steam won't normally allow.
You only need two files, to get it to work.
..\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\SkyrimLauncher.Exe
..\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Steam_API.DLL

Even tried same trick with DOS2
..\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Divinity Original Sin 2\bin\EoCApp.exe
..\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Divinity Original Sin 2\bin\steam_api64.dll

Maybe It needs, the App Manifest for DOS2 as well.
..\Steam\SteamApps\appmanifest_435150.acf

I do own Skyrim on Steam, so had it's App Manifest.
Problem is each App Manifest is version specific, so changes each update.

It is a Text File though so if I had the current contents I caoukd test it, if someone posted the current text.

T
addict
addict
T
We have enabled "Enable anonymous game servers to download workshop items", but that does not seem to solve the issue with steamworkshopdownloader.com (it still complains downloading items is blocked). Does anyone know what setting we should enable to make that site work?

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Larian, you are amazing.
Not only did you fix the direct connect for gog, but....
When making sure I accidently started my modded module and the guy on gog automatically downloaded them!

Hooray!

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
addict
addict
Ah yes, wanted to put that on the wiki FAQ since I've seen some people ask about it. smile

Yes, when playing multiplayer, the host determines the mod setup and any missing modules are downloaded automatically. We do still recommend telling your friends about the mods you want enabled to avoid having them to download them directly via you if they are big. smile

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 19/09/17 08:49 AM.

CTRL+K the elf
A
stranger
stranger
A
Hi, people. First of all, sorry if I'm breaking any rules by raising this thread from the dead, or if this is old news and I just failed at googling it. I was pointed to this thread by Raze and found a solution so I thought I'd post an update for anyone else having the same problem.

I just tested it and it works, you can directly download steam workshop files by following this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOr...ownload_steam_workshop_mods_for_the_gog/

I had actually emailed the creator of https://steamworkshopdownloader.io/ asking about the problem and they, like a boss, pointed me to the above solution. Apparently the "does not allow public downloads" message in this case is because newer games use a different system for accessing the workshop than older games, and the creator is working on an eventual update to do all this automatically as part of the website. They also suggested that the "Enable anonymous game servers to download workshop items" option mentioned earlier in this thread is what determines if a user can use this method anonymously.

Good luck modding!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard