Next Thread
Print Thread
W
WTHX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Simple navigation is laggy and crash-prone.
If I load in a map there is a high risk of a crash.
When I make a package in my mod directory and delete linked references the editor crashes.

Did I miss some important setup step?

I installed it from the steam tools page, got the game installed with the DLC editor files, got the path set to the game.

I have made a mod that works but it took roughly 10x the time it would since all of these problems.

How do I read my crash dump files?

addict
addict
The installation you did sounds fine.
If it weren't, the editor would crash instantly on load.

This sounds more like your pc has trouble with the amount of data. What are your pc specs? (specifically your RAM).

The dump files can be opened with a programming environment such as Visual Studio, but I would suggest just packaging them and sending them to me with a description of when the crash occurred and we should be able to take a look at them. There's also a log.txt file that is easily readable with a text editor and might also have some information. (All these files are located in the installation folder. Default for Steam that would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Divinity Engine 2)

CTRL+K the elf
W
WTHX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Ty for the reply.

Here are my specs:
Intel i7 3770k
16GB ram (maybe 2200MHz)
AMD R9 290x 4GB
I got the game and editor on my SSD, it only got ~3GB of free space. Does this matter?

Just navigating to load the Fort Joy map takes minutes. Then when trying to delete items in my mod package I get this message that results in a crash.
crash: https://puu.sh/xP3Ke/0b3efcae91.png

Crash dump: http://puu.sh/xP3No/3af2b62d14.dmp

Log file: http://puu.sh/xP3Qf/39e36be347.txt

Note: I got an error in Photoshop while having the editor up, saying my "scratch disk" were full. Might be unrelated though.

addict
addict
Hey WTHX,

your specs are really good, so it won't be because of that smile
But that "scratch disk" error does sound related. When looking into Scratch Disk errors in Photoshop it seems this occurs when there's no RAM available and Photoshop attempts to use your disk as replacement, but that disk is full too.

Having that error means there's not enough RAM available to perform the requested operations (editor and photoshop).

So, a few possible helpers:
1) Free up disk space
2) Check your Task Manager to see the CPU and RAM usage %. If this is very high, you might want to close some applications.

Sincerely,
Kevin

CTRL+K the elf
W
WTHX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
I have now tried to free up space on my ssd.
It seems that disk space might have been the cause for crash when loading in a level, Fort Joy for example.
But navigating some menus of resources still lock up the editor for several seconds(sometimes minutes).
For example when choosing a level to load, editing project details or when trying to publish a project.

The editor can take a lot of RAM, I have had it using about 6GB at one point, but then I still had at least 6GB unused. CPU usage almost never peaks above 30%.

It seems most text fields make the editor freeze and deleting entries that I check out from my mod package still causes crashes.

I have a friend who have not so different specs(i7 2600k, 16gb RAM, gtx 1080), the major difference is that he is using an nvidia card while I have amd.
He have no lag on any of the points I have mentioned.
Still crashes on removal of package entries.

So it might be bit of a stretch but have you always used an nvidia cards for working in the editor?

D
stranger
stranger
D
[quote=WTHX]
It seems most text fields make the editor freeze and deleting entries that I check out from my mod package still causes crashes.

[/quote]
I have the exact same issues as you do! Anywhere there is a text field, its instant freeze for a few seconds. I've thought it might have been my ssd aswell, but I cleared up like 50-60gb of it (accumulating up to like 80 gb of free space), but nothing changed. I also have tried putting the editor on a "normal" (7200 rpm) HD with lots of free space (~300gb+), running with Admin rights, diferent compatibility modes... nothing has worked so far.

Game runs flawlessly (since the patch that fixed the save games issue I've had nothing to complain about).

Indeed, I have an amd card aswell.

RX 480.

16 GB RAM.

i7-6700 cpu @ 3.40ghz.

[quote=WTHX]
So it might be bit of a stretch but have you always used an nvidia cards for working in the editor? [/quote]
I think you might be spot on mate.

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard