Next Thread
Print Thread
#631732 17/10/17 02:48 PM
D
banned
OP Offline
banned
D
The source is what allows spells to be cast, and the collar is supposed to squelch the source which in turn, is supposed to prevent ANY and ALL spells from being cast, and yet every NPC with a collar on is still able to cast spells.

N
old hand
old hand
N
By spells you are meaning source spells right? Because collars don't prevent you from casting any other spells but source based ones. So as long as they don't cast source spells, it's perfectly valid for them to use normal ones.

Last edited by Nyanko; 17/10/17 03:01 PM.
D
banned
OP Offline
banned
D
Originally Posted by Nyanko
By spells you are meaning source spells right?

UMM all spells in the divinity universe are source spells because source is the mana needed to cast the spells, eliminate the mana, and you render a mage useless.

Originally Posted by Nyanko
Because collars don't prevent you from casting any other spells but source based ones. So as long as they don't cast source spells, it's perfectly valid for them to use normal ones.

In the divinity universe there is no such thing as "Source Spells" All spells are source spells. Again Source is nothing but the mana required in order to be able to cast any and all spells.

In the Divinity Universe .. "The Source" is the power in which give the ability to cast any and all spells in without source at your disposal..spell casting of any kind is not possible. The collar in this game is the equivalent of putting a constant mana drain collar on a mage in Skyrim. Without mana, a mage cannot cast spells, and just like that without source it's impossible to cast spells.

You just completely contradicted yourself, and the game because you failed to read and or comprehend what you read as well as understand how the universe in the game works.

I forgot Divinity has such a consistent lore.

Trap Strats: DOS1:EE? Cheese - DOS2? Mashed potatoes - Proper nutrition is key to dungeon delving.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
First off, most people would definitely interpret "source" spells vs other spells differently, because the game doesn't explain much off the bat. It makes you think source spells are different.

In any case, you can easily explain this by saying the most powerful source skills are the ones that attract the voidwoken, and those are the ones that are being suppressed because they use a lot of source.

Therefore simple things like moving earth and generating some fire aren't enough to get on voidwoken radar and don't use that much source. Or more obviously the collar doesn't block every ounce of source. Who says the collars work perfectly? Also considering magisters and everyone else uses spells, they don't seem too worried about the source expended in them. but summoning meteor showers, divine blessings, thunderstorms.. etc are major enough to be felt through the veil.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by CatR
I forgot Divinity has such a consistent lore.

Gorgombert: nothing else matters.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dontbestupid
The source is what allows spells to be cast, and the collar is supposed to squelch the source which in turn, is supposed to prevent ANY and ALL spells from being cast, and yet every NPC with a collar on is still able to cast spells.

No.

Source Magic != All Magic. That's probably the single most consistent thing in the lore dating back to Divine Divinity. Even there, the healers had trouble using Source, but regular spells worked just fine.

UMM all spells in the divinity universe are source spells because source is the mana needed to cast the spells, eliminate the mana, and you render a mage useless.

In the divinity universe there is no such thing as "Source Spells" All spells are source spells. Again Source is nothing but the mana required in order to be able to cast any and all spells.

No. Source Magic also != Mana. What you're saying has literally never been the case, ever, in ANY Divinity game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Source is connected with magic the way I understand the lore but using normal spells only need your own mental strenght. While source spells use the source energy itself. So the collars just prevent you to use source engery.

D
banned
OP Offline
banned
D
Originally Posted by Hawke
Source is connected with magic the way I understand the lore but using normal spells only need your own mental strenght. While source spells use the source energy itself. So the collars just prevent you to use source energy.

All spells require source. Without source it's impossible to cast any spell

Where is everyone replying getting the idea that there are 2 different spell types

There are no such spells in the divinity universe labeled as "SOURCE SPELL" nor is there any spell in the entire divinity universe that says "REQUIRES SOURCE"

There is also no such thing as "SOURCE MAGIC" and regular MAGIC"

As I said read the lore and you will find that Source is what everyone knows in general terms as MANA. it is the SOURCE of being able to cast spells..Hence the word SOURCE.

veteran
veteran

Where is everyone replying getting the idea that there are 2 different spell types

Because the lore of literally every single Divinity RPG says that is the case.

Source was different than regular magic in Divine Divinity, Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga, Divinity Original Sin 1, and Divinity: Original Sin 2, and in fact Divinity Original Sin 2 makes it clear that Source and magic are different.

In conclusion either you are an idiot or a troll, so I am done with this.

journeyman
journeyman
The first Divinity game I played ... long long ago, was Divine Divinity.

Even back THEN there was "Source" and there was "Magic"

The two were NOT one and the same. There were issues with using Source, but there weren't any issues with using Magic. The two were seen as separate entities even way back then.

Now it has me a hankering to pull out that game and play it again.

D
banned
OP Offline
banned
D
Originally Posted by KentDA
The two were NOT one and the same.

Everyone keeps CLAIMING that and yet not one person has shown the difference. At least if the game has some special spell list that were actual SOURCE Spells or something of that nature, that would be fine, but the fact is in the game itself source and magic are exactly the same.

Face it people, I found an absolute contradiction in this game and people don't like it. no one has made sense out of this contradiction and no one can either because spells are spells, and every spell in the game all get cast using Source (AKA Mana)

People keep failing to provide the in game reason for source. Along with what source does that magic cannot?

The fact is there is nothing in this game that makes SOURCE and different than magic. There are no special spells, no special equipment or anything for that matter that makes SOURCE and MAGIC different.

SOURCE literally has no relevance or function in the game itself.

Of course someone who cannot argue this will say I'm a troll and or an idiot...Those people are so in love with the game that gosh forbid anyone find something inconsistent that makes no sense, they cannot handle it. So instead of actually posting anything intelligent that actually provides a counter side, they instead throw insults around and say they're done.

Last edited by dontbestupid; 18/10/17 12:42 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm leaving this open in case anyone wishes to actually discuss the subject further, but yeah, it is a troll thread: just something to bear in mind before putting in too much effort.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
I find it hard not to point out the irony in OP's name. Perhaps a part of the troll. Alas.

4 AR - Original Sin

Sadly I must confess that once more my knowledge about these long forgotten times is diminutive at best. Very little is known about the strange and spectacular events that befell two so-called Source Hunters. Nevertheless, if one can put faith in the fragmented stories told by old wizards, they both prevented and set in motion events that changed the destiny of fair Rivellon herself.

- Divinity Wikia

Refers to Source Hunters (Which is what you were in Original Sin 1), and they could use magic. Which would be an even bigger overlook if they had used Source too. But the oncoming void had weakened and corrupted Source so they couldn't use it. Yet the classes had spells and magic like any other, which the Source Hunters could put to use in their hunt for Sourcerers.

This history is written down by wizards.

Source spells wasn't a thing in Original Sin 1, completing DOS1 cleansed Source to be used and thrive once again, hence a thing in DOS2.

Coughs. Definitely troll post.

N
old hand
old hand
N
For me it's as simple as that really: collars block source. Some spells can be used with the collars on. Those spells are not source material. End of the story. Going further is speculating and I don't give much care about it. I like it as it is.

journeyman
journeyman
SOURCE literally has no relevance or function in the game itself.

One of the early quests from Divine Divinity. Pulled from the Wiki.

Find a Cure for Simon/Verlat.

Upon speaking to Goemoe, who cares for Simon or Otho, who is responsible for Verlat the Hero is informed that they are unable to treat their patients due to the connection to the Source being broken. Neither Goemoe or Otho can use the last Healing gem as it would against their code, thus "choosing who should live or die".

So yes ... Proof. If nobody had access to Source, then nobody would have access to magic as per the OP's viewpoint. Yet Magic did still exist in the game. But the connection to the Source was broken at the time.

I remember trying to find a way around that dilemma.

Also DOS 1 had that quest return with the "only 1 healing stone but 2 people". They constantly referred to Sourcerors and Wizards as separate in DOS 1 as well.

That makes it quite clear that Magic and Source are indeed seen as Separate Entities.

Last edited by KentDA; 18/10/17 09:22 PM.
W
W
even people who can't use source can still use magic. the collars only restricts us from using spells that cost source

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard