Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi everyone!

In KVN's absence, we've gone and had a look in his recycle bin and found a Maya exporter!

I swear this is how it went.

So we added it to the Steam Editor Data and if you follow this wiki article you can set it up in Maya: https://docs.larian.game/Setup:_Maya_Exporter

Wondering what to make or how to make it? Have a look at these:
https://docs.larian.game/My_first:_Item
https://docs.larian.game/My_first:_Character

There will be an exporter for other tools in the near future.

Now go forth and make Baaz and Kapak and Sivak and Aurak draconians! Or are those copyrighted? In that case don't. Then make Deathknights. Unless that's copyrighted too.

Oh lord. I hope you guys are more creative than I am!

- David

Tweeting @forktong
N
addict
addict
N
Many thanks for the exporter!

(There is also a useful LarianModToolsMAN.docx file in Data\Editor\Tools\Maya\LarianStudiosModTools\ that goes into some detail about how some of the exporter scripts work.)

veteran
veteran
I don't know what the best part of this is, the fact that you found tools to play with, or that you naughty nosy people were digging through Kevin's trash :'D

Neat, though! Will definitely experiment with this.

journeyman
journeyman
Kewl. Thanks for this, this will make a lot of modders happy.

old hand
old hand
Thank you! Nice to see progress on this.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
apprentice
apprentice
A first good step foward :), hope to see friendly tools in the future for Max and MODO too.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Great news! I think my new dream job will be waste picker at Larian Studios. Curious what else to find there.

Last edited by morez; 10/11/17 08:01 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Just need to find myself a license for them now... hmm, or not. Haha, I hope this will bring some more fun stuff to the already crowded mod sections. Let's hope for the best. smile

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. - Bob Ross
enthusiast
enthusiast
Anyone tested if this plug-in also works with Maya 2017?

Anyone successfully got this running could explain me exactly how to do following step: What Button exactly? (tried that with Maya 2017)
Once you have launched Maya with this userSetup for the first time use the modify path script (ModP Button on the shelf) to set up your divinity engine data path for the exporter. This info will be saved in you maya scripts folder.

"divinity engine path" is also confusing in the wiki description, because it actually was in normal game path not in steamapps /divinity engine....
All the files you need you'll find in ~DivinityEngineDataPath~\Data\Editor\Tools\Maya\

Therefore i guess later I also have to choose the Gamefolder/Editor path when doing the modify path script setup

A
stranger
stranger
A
Has someone achieved anything with the exporter?
I've tried in both maya 2015 and 18 but nothing seems to work.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Hi guys, I think i have something.
I installed the exporter on Maya 2015 and I got the shelf working. I could set up my engine data path, but i got the following error when pressing the MLE button:

"Failed to load the granny plugin. Aborted export. Use The Divinity Engine installer to install granny plugin"

I went to "02GrannyTools-MultiLayerExporter3.py", and seems like the code makes reference to a plugin called "granny_maya2015_0-x64.mll". That makes no sense. The maya plugin that larian provided us is "larian_maya2015_x64.mll" and its not referenced anywhere in the code. I just renamed the larian plugin and now i can get to the MLE export windows and everything seemed to work fine. I tried exporting a few meshes, but when i try to load them into the engine it sais there is no valid resource into that .GR2.

I also tried with a phys. I can export it and load the .bullet into the engine, but seems to be also empty in the preview.
Is it just me that im doing everything wrong or is the exporter already buged? I couldn't find any documentation in the wiki or the forums. Would be great to know if someone has achieved something.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Anybody you managed to successfully use this exporter? Please tell us, so we know if we can solve the issue by ourselves or not.

*cough* looks like they found the exporter in the garbage. :P

addict
addict
Hey! Who rummaged through my recycle bin?! I had everything nicely ordered in there!

Jokes aside, thanks for your dedication in trying it out guys and apologies for the trouble you're having. We're aware of the issue and will try to remedy it asap. We'll keep you posted here and/or in the patch notes thread when we have more information or a fix smile

Sincerely,
Kevin

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 30/11/17 10:00 AM.

CTRL+K the elf
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Larian_KVN
Hey! Who rummaged through my recycle bin?! I had everything nicely ordered in there!

Jokes aside, thanks for your dedication in trying it out guys and apologies for the trouble you're having. We're aware of the issue and will try to remedy it asap. We'll keep you posted here and/or in the patch notes thread when we have more information or a fix smile

Sincerely,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin for that answer. Highly appreciated. I was eagerly waiting for your comments about colleagues sniffling in your trash biggrin
Good to see you again in the forums.

addict
addict
Glad to be back wink

So yeah. There's was a reference in one of the scripts to "granny_maya2015_0-x64.mll" whereas it should have been "larian_maya2015_x64.mll". This is fixed in the latest patch. We tested exporting some of our models provided on the My First Character page. (We'll also provide a some more step-by-step info on this very soon wink )

Sincerely,
Kevin

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 05/12/17 06:05 PM.

CTRL+K the elf
apprentice
apprentice
Could anyone confirm it is actually working, please?

I've spent alot of time trying import/export with 3DMAX, using both FBX and OpenCOLLADA (and GR2 converter from larian), but nothing worked so far. Always a mess.
Never worked with Maya, but if this exporter is working, think it will be faster to learn Maya then solve the problems with max.

addict
addict
Edit to my previous comment:
We're still fixing a small issue that can cause the editor to think the exported file is invalid. This will come asap together with the promised detailed info on how to use the exporter.

@Module Once the aforementioned issue is solved, the exporter should give no more trouble. I do suggest using Maya since the provided exporter supports an easy conversion to the required GR2 format smile Also, our example files on the wiki are Maya as well.

Sincerely,
Kevin

CTRL+K the elf
apprentice
apprentice
Thank you for reply. Looking forward to it!

I managed to make it work somehow, had to use "Converter -> Blender -> 3DMAX -> Blender -> Converter" killing combo each time, but it works smile

One thing i noticed is that the EXAMPLE file for weapons on wiki is not correct. The hierarchy there is not the same as in actuall weapons, exported from the game. It is very confusing when you try it for the 1st time.

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard